Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2010, 01:38 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
You're welcome.

Nissan's were known for using weak metal in their rotors, so it's natural to automatically assume the rotors are the problem. You'll even read of numerous other 07/08 S owners who complain of the same issue and we have 13" rotors all around. Here's the kicker, people who complain about it use their cars as daily drivers, some spirited. However, ask anyone who took their car out to the track (me included) and i, for one, can tell you there's nothing wrong with the rotor -- it's the pad that's the problem, it is soft to make daily driving livable, but it does have consequences. Spirited driving + improper cooling = pad transfer/uneven wear. It's easy to see, drive around and use you brakes spiritedly enough to heat them up then pull over and keep on the brakes for a minute or so (as you normally would when stopped in traffic), pull up just a feet or two, park, then turn the car off. Look at your rotors. Chances are you'll see pad imprint.

I actually started looking into having 2pc produced for us non-Akebono owners, but it just wasn't economically feasible.
This is very interesting; sounds like I need to kick this around a bit more. Maybe stalling for time (until some 2-piece units come out!?) by sacrificing one set of pads and seeing how it goes. Even if what you say about our brakes is true though, and considering mine is a daily driver and not tracked, wouldn't you still say that a quality set of slotted rotors would be more impervious to pad transfer, and the consequent judder, than the smooth oem rotors, just by their very nature (being slotted) . . . regardless of pads used??

As far as pad choices, I got some EBD (Red) pads which are undoubtedly not as soft as the stock pads. In your opinion, would they alone eradicate my brake judder assuming I had the stock rotors cleaned up ?

And does anyone think I might be able to con a dealership into turning the rotors for free (at 30K miles) under a judder complaint?? I want to do the brake job myself with my own aftermarket shoes...just have them turn the rotors as I believe the TSB calls out an "on-car" brake lathe for turning the rotors. Maybe too much to ask, probably send them into to overload.

Old 02-05-2010, 01:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by goodtwogo
I looked into both those a bit and couldn't find either in an OE sized set for my car, they seemed to have them for the BBK's and the older sedans and coupes. Did I just miss them??
Kevin@us-autotech can get the Stoptech PowerSlot Rotors for the V36 sedan sport

Stoptech Powerslot Rotors:
Front - 126.42095SL/SR -
Rear - 126.42095SL/SR -

You can pm him for pricing, but the f/r set should come in under $500. He indicated the the rear part # is a valid number but not yet in the catalog. No official specs on weight for the rears. Fronts are around 26#. Anyone know what the stock front sports rotors weigh?

Old 02-05-2010, 01:55 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
You can certainly just try the pads by itself, especially since you already have it. If your re-surfaced OEM rotors are truly the culprit, then it will warp again in short time. Speaking of which, some dealerships will turn your rotors for free, never hurts to ask. At worst, you'll spend about $10-$15/rotor for it to be turned.

Slotted rotors were made to help gas build-up between pad and rotor escape, it does have "scraping" abilities so to speak because of the edges on each slot, but my experience with slot+OEM rotors on prior cars tell me it doesn't help with preventing uneven pad transfer.

Old 02-06-2010, 12:51 PM
Originally Posted by mbonus
Kevin@us-autotech can get the Stoptech PowerSlot Rotors for the V36 sedan sport

Stoptech Powerslot Rotors:
Front - 126.42095SL/SR -
Rear - 126.42095SL/SR -

You can pm him for pricing, but the f/r set should come in under $500. He indicated the the rear part # is a valid number but not yet in the catalog. No official specs on weight for the rears. Fronts are around 26#. Anyone know what the stock front sports rotors weigh?
Thanks for all the input you guys, looks like there are some choices out there....just not lightweight ones yet.

Old 02-07-2010, 08:58 AM
any feedback for Stillen one pc rotors ?

Old 02-11-2010, 08:28 AM
Found Powerslot rotors for 07-08 G35S

I have looked all over the internet and these are the best one piece slotted rotors that I have found for the 2007-2008 Infiniti G35S (Sport sedan). They are made by a well recognized manufacturer. I have a 2008 Infiniti G35S 5AT and dealer turned my rotors once already and the shuttering is back again, I think the OEM rotors and pads are garbage. If anyone can find them cheaper than this please post a link.

http://store.zeckhausen.com/catalog/...17_120_770_773

Old 02-11-2010, 08:43 AM
I found them cheaper with free shipping

I found them cheaper with free shipping

http://www.us-autotech.com/store/pro...=&Type=&Model=

Old 02-11-2010, 10:54 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
If you can settle for blank Centric Premium's, TR has them rather cheap:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...=Sport+Package

Old 02-11-2010, 09:10 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by soundmike
If you can settle for blank Centric Premium's, TR has them rather cheap:
http://www.tirerack.com/brakes/resul...=Sport+Package
Rockauto.com has premium Centrics even cheaper, $67 front and $45 rear. For AWD part #'s are different, 120.42088 rear, 120.42080 front (verified at Centric site). Shipping was nearly $30 for me but there's a 5% off coupon 27243152253089 that subtracts $10 or so (paste it in their "where did you hear about us" section - exp. 3/28). Total cost front and rear is $247 shipped.

I bit the bullet and bought them... stockers are on their last breath, judder is back which means they are about to crap out and I am not turning them again. Most likely it had to do with low quality OEM rotors (poor iron & temp distrib ution characteristics) used with soft OEM pads which resulted in irreversible pad material transfer

Centrics will go nicely with Hawk HPS pads.

Old 03-09-2010, 07:07 PM
Im in the market for new rotors also and was wonder if anyone has any input on these http://www.r1concepts.com/INFINITI/G...esultsPage.htm also has anyone brought any of those sets posted all over ebay?

Old 03-09-2010, 07:34 PM
G37 Non-Sport model rotors are the same as G35S

I just ordered a set of the Rotora drilled/slotted rotors front and rear, kind of pricey but nice. The 2009 Infiniti G37 Journey (Non-Sport model) rotors are the same front and rear as the 2007-2008 Infiniti G35S.

http://www.thmotorsports.com/rotora/.../i-279105.aspx

Old 03-09-2010, 07:44 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Are you guys putting in the splash guards (front only) that is in the TSB for brake judder?

Old 03-10-2010, 02:56 PM
Originally Posted by JayJay
Im in the market for new rotors also and was wonder if anyone has any input on these http://www.r1concepts.com/INFINITI/G...esultsPage.htm also has anyone brought any of those sets posted all over ebay?
I bought the R1 Premium drilled/slotted a couple months ago and so far so good. Got rid of the stock rotor vibration/judder during high speed braking so I'm happy. They look good and the price is right. I bought direct from R1.

Old 03-11-2010, 12:57 PM
I am planning on getting..StopTech sportstop rotors and HAWK HPS pads..
anyone tried this combo before?

Old 03-11-2010, 01:08 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by bertmauricio
I bought the R1 Premium drilled/slotted a couple months ago and so far so good. Got rid of the stock rotor vibration/judder during high speed braking so I'm happy. They look good and the price is right. I bought direct from R1.
What pads did you go with?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model