Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2010, 07:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Brakes Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model

It's been a while since I last asked in another thread, so I thought put it out there again to see if there's been any updates: Has anyone got a recommendation for some slotted rotors to replace my stock rotors? Some sweet, lightweight, two-piece rotors would be real nice, but I'm not even gonna be that demanding. I am not interested in going with any kind of BBK at this time, I would just like to replace the stock ones with a quality slotted set and continue to use my (albeit ugly, but adequate) stock calipers. It is my understanding that the 07/08 sedans w/sport share the same brakes as the G37 coupes w/ non-sport brakes, but try as I might, I can't seem to find anyone talking about either one of them much...everyone seems to be gaga for the BBK scene. I think the 13" sport brakes work well enough for my purposes (and budget), I just can't stand the inevitable judder, so I figure if I just upgrade the rotors and pads I'll be pretty well set w/o costing an arm and leg. Thanks for any help guys.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:10 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
I replaced my fronts with R1 concept D/S rotors and EBC rears(special order) quite a long time ago and have been happy sine as i too had judder issues with stock rotors.

These are one piece rotors just as heavy as oem but are capable of managing more clamping force and have held up great so far with about ~30k on them.

Hope this helps.

Old 02-04-2010, 08:40 PM
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...ease-help.html

These are the rotors I went with- $500 total for Hawk HPS and Stoptech drilled slotted rotors... do it.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MJION: Are those for the V36 Sedan Sport Brakes? From the pics those look like V35.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
Received 70 Likes on 55 Posts
I dont' have a 37 or sedan, but I replaced mine with Brembo Slotted Rotors (actual brembos) ordered from Advance Auto. I absolutely love them.
They had a hefty pricetag of 750 however... And they're one piece.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:50 PM
I also have been hoping for some other options for replacement rotors. The sport brakes are adequate for me, and I have not had any judder yet at 40000 miles.

Old 02-05-2010, 03:05 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
I replaced my fronts with R1 concept D/S rotors and EBC rears(special order) quite a long time ago and have been happy sine as i too had judder issues with stock rotors.

These are one piece rotors just as heavy as oem but are capable of managing more clamping force and have held up great so far with about ~30k on them.

Hope this helps.
Thanks for the tip. I'll definitely check into them.

btw, Did you get their E-line or the premiums?

Old 02-05-2010, 03:12 AM
Originally Posted by mbonus
MJION: Are those for the V36 Sedan Sport Brakes? From the pics those look like V35.
That's what I thought too. His sig says '05, so my guess is that's what they are. I do appreciate all the ideas though guys, Thanks again.

Anyone know of any more besides the R1's that were mentioned for the V36 sport sedan?

(+1 for choices )

Old 02-05-2010, 07:03 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Before you go there, may i suggest swapping out the pads first? A lot of the OEM pads are known to be soft enough to place a significant amount of deposits on the rotor eventually causing a warped or shaking sensation at the pedals either from the deposits, or the uneven wear on the pads.

I had the same issue before, swapped the pads out for (yet) a newer set of OEM's. Didn't even resurface the rotors, i just went and bedded them in. Voila, no more vibrations.

Old 02-05-2010, 09:45 AM
You can try the StopTech rotors and Rotora Rotors. I've heard that both of them are really nice. I'm ordering my BBK kit next month with either one of these manufacterers.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:00 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Before you go there, may i suggest swapping out the pads first? A lot of the OEM pads are known to be soft enough to place a significant amount of deposits on the rotor eventually causing a warped or shaking sensation at the pedals either from the deposits, or the uneven wear on the pads.

I had the same issue before, swapped the pads out for (yet) a newer set of OEM's. Didn't even resurface the rotors, i just went and bedded them in. Voila, no more vibrations.
Hmmm......I actually wondered about trying that, but I didn't want to mess up a set of good EBC pads that I bought in case it didn't work out. Plus I can't resurface rotors myself... gotta pay someone labor to do that(they need it badly), and that just seemed like risking good money toward a potentially bad result. Besides, I always thought it was more commonly understood that it WAS the rotors that were the major problem with the judder and premature wear than anything else (pads) ... is that NOT true then ? ? ?

Ideally, if I spend money on a set of new slotted rotors, I would prefer to spend the money towards a lighter two piece setup in OE replacement size if possible. To me, that would be the very best value of all for my money.

Thanks for your input.

Old 02-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Originally Posted by sunny G-35 NYC
You can try the StopTech rotors and Rotora Rotors. I've heard that both of them are really nice. I'm ordering my BBK kit next month with either one of these manufacturers.
I looked into both those a bit and couldn't find either in an OE sized set for my car, they seemed to have them for the BBK's and the older sedans and coupes. Did I just miss them??

Old 02-05-2010, 11:10 AM
I guess the ultimate for me would be an OE replacement along the lines of the 2 piece lightweight set that Racing Brake is doing for all the G37 (Akebono) BBK folks. When will us sedan owners get some love too?

Old 02-05-2010, 12:08 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
^we're still waiting for the G37S 2pc as well.
Lots of talk, but still, nothing substantive yet.

Old 02-05-2010, 12:12 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Originally Posted by goodtwogo
Hmmm...didn't want to mess up a set of good EBC pads... Besides, I always thought it was more commonly understood that it WAS the rotors that were the major problem with the judder and premature wear than anything else (pads) ... is that NOT true then ? ? ?

Ideally, if I spend money on a set of new slotted rotors, I would prefer to spend the money towards a lighter two piece setup in OE replacement size if possible. To me, that would be the very best value of all for my money.

Thanks for your input.
You're welcome.

Nissan's were known for using weak metal in their rotors, so it's natural to automatically assume the rotors are the problem. You'll even read of numerous other 07/08 S owners who complain of the same issue and we have 13" rotors all around. Here's the kicker, people who complain about it use their cars as daily drivers, some spirited. However, ask anyone who took their car out to the track (me included) and i, for one, can tell you there's nothing wrong with the rotor -- it's the pad that's the problem, it is soft to make daily driving livable, but it does have consequences. Spirited driving + improper cooling = pad transfer/uneven wear. It's easy to see, drive around and use you brakes spiritedly enough to heat them up then pull over and keep on the brakes for a minute or so (as you normally would when stopped in traffic), pull up just a feet or two, park, then turn the car off. Look at your rotors. Chances are you'll see pad imprint.

I actually started looking into having 2pc produced for us non-Akebono owners, but it just wasn't economically feasible.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Any recommendations for slotted rotors on the Sport model