My Rotors - replace or turn/resurface? (Pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-02-2010, 01:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My Rotors - replace or turn/resurface? (Pics)

I have the brake pads in hand ready to be replaced, but I'm unsure about the rotors. Should I replace the rotors or can I get them turned/resurfaced? I dont think there is any run-out since Im not feeling any pulsating or vibration.

Total Rotor thickness remaining
Front - roughly 31mm
Rear - roughly 16-17mm

FRONT

REAR

Thanks
Darin

Old 04-02-2010, 02:00 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't resurface - your rotors will warp fairly quickly afterwards. just install new pads and bed them the best you can - but drive carefully while your pads are adjusting to your rotors.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:03 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
there are absolutely no downside to resurfacing rotors.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:17 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
Joker is right, there is no downside to resurfacing, for the first 10k... and then codeflux is right, because after a while it's back to the car shuddering under normal braking...

this coming from personal experience.... I resurfaced mine at 60k, the shudder came back around 70k

so if you're tight on cash OP, resurface all 4 for under a $100.... you'll get a good couple of K on them, but keep in mind you can get a decent OEM rotor setup for a little over $200

Old 04-02-2010, 02:32 AM
i have an 07 g35 sedan sport model. My understanding is the front rotors are oversized compared to base model and the rears are the same.

Where can I get the OEM rotors without getting ripped off at the stealership?

Last edited by Nirad; 04-02-2010 at 02:42 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 02:41 AM
Received 28 Likes on 18 Posts
^ this forum is the right place to get away from dependence on stealerships, more specifically the marketplace section, go look there under the vendor market place in the brakes/suspension section, you will find a good deal.

Old 04-02-2010, 02:45 AM
Would sanding the rotors make a difference? I trying to get away not replacing the rotors if i dont have to since there seems to be no run-out. Just the surface of the rotor doesn't seem optimal.

Im not hurting for cash so i can replace the rotors if I need, but why spend the 200-300 if I dont need to if it can be spend somewhere else.

Based on the condition of my rotors, Would you guys replace or just slap some new pads on and bed them or try and resurface for the $60? Im still unsure

Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Nirad
Would sanding the rotors make a difference? I trying to get away not replacing the rotors if i dont have to since there seems to be no run-out. Just the surface of the rotor doesn't seem optimal.

Im not hurting for cash so i can replace the rotors if I need, but why spend the 200-300 if I dont need to if it can be spend somewhere else.

Based on the condition of my rotors, Would you guys replace or just slap some new pads on and bed them or try and resurface for the $60? Im still unsure
Have you resurfaced them before? If not, then IMO you should just take them to a local shop (Pepboys) and and shave off the minimum for $12-15 per rotor (as it seems there is pad material deposit on your rotors based on the pics posted). Have to instruct them to shave of the possible minimum as taking off too much affects rotor's heat dissipation characteristics and makes it more prone to pad material transfer -> brake judder. Sanding them down would not remove all of the pad material as some of it is not visible, and you possibly risk improper bed-in with your pads. You shouldn't need new ones - it's not like these have been already cut and had vibration/judder problems...

Last edited by dohturdima; 04-02-2010 at 10:07 AM.
Old 04-02-2010, 10:03 AM
CLUB MODERATOR
Received 347 Likes on 246 Posts
local shops charge somewhere around $15 to resurface the rotor.
Just get it done and you good for another 20-30k
Sanding will do more harm than good

Old 04-02-2010, 05:38 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
well, IMHO, you should not resurface them. your rotors show very flat and even wear, and i wouldn't touch them. and no, sanding will not work.

Old 04-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
If you look at the rotor from the sides, you'll notice that there is the thickness written on the size walls and what's the minimum thickness for the rotors, so if your rotors are still withen the specs and it's thickness didn't go below the minimum thickness, then it would be fine to resurface them, as for me, when i get new rotors and new pads i use them until they're near gone and then i put new pads, when the new pads are nearly gone, i resurface the rotors and treat it like a new one, after changing my pads 4 times, i change my rotors, but keep in mine that i do keep a close eye on pads life and i check them out everytime i change my oil.

Old 04-04-2010, 09:36 PM
Originally Posted by G35s-Q8
If you look at the rotor from the sides, you'll notice that there is the thickness written on the size walls and what's the minimum thickness for the rotors, so if your rotors are still withen the specs and it's thickness didn't go below the minimum thickness, then it would be fine to resurface them, as for me, when i get new rotors and new pads i use them until they're near gone and then i put new pads, when the new pads are nearly gone, i resurface the rotors and treat it like a new one, after changing my pads 4 times, i change my rotors, but keep in mine that i do keep a close eye on pads life and i check them out everytime i change my oil.
+1 i changed my rear pads only, now im changing my fronts have done nothing yet to my rotors... keep in mind i can change my pads myself so i just wait till as late as possible and change it when its very close to teh bare metal of the pad

Old 05-26-2010, 04:21 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Adon - I wouldn't use "decent" and "OEM" in the same sentence when it comes to Nissan/Infiniti stock rotors...You can get Centric Premiums for around $50 x 2 rear and $65 x 2 front...and if $100 per rotor is in the budget, a lot of choices await.

Good time to go to decent ceramic pads too...Posi-Quiets, Hawk, etc for street use...

Old 05-28-2010, 04:07 AM
Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts
You can try to go this way:

DBA 4000 Slotted

Old 05-31-2010, 09:53 PM
rotors pulsation

I feel pulsation when braking, and i would like to resurface my rotors, they already were resurfaced. Should i do it or replace them?. I want a good deal to buy them. Adom says 100dollars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Rotors - replace or turn/resurface? (Pics)