G35X: Hotchkis sway bars installed... first impressions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2012, 12:17 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
G35X: Hotchkis sway bars installed... first impressions

I'm not veteran car nut so take this post with that in mind. I had the Hotckis sway bars installed today on an X. The rear first in the morning and the front in the afternoon. It was hard to say the front swap was where any improvement came from. The rear was the big one. I really should have had the front installed first to see what the diff was with it first since it's probably more subtle.

Overall the difference, or I should really say improvement, was excellent. One of those things where I don't think I need a few days or weeks to let things settle in before I state my verdict. The car was stock before the Hotchkis sways, with 17" OEMs and all seasons and I have owned the car for 3 months. Cornering is outstanding compared to stock sways. No doubt. Much less chassis roll and way more assured and planted and grip thru sharper cornering. And steering straight or cornered is more refined. I remember reading reviews on my car and how the one criticism was it didn't have the same steering feel as a BMW 3 series. I don't know all that much about that give my limited test drives with the BMW, but I do know I always felt the G steering was dull and thick. Not now.

Acceleration also feels a fair bit better. Stiffen it up, less energy loss, better acceleration. I really feel it. And I want to drive faster because of it, and I feel much more confident in the car's ability to handle it.

The ride is harsher now (sway settings are medium front and rear now, but I'm going to the stiffest on the rear in a week) over rough patches, but I also definitely feel like I'm not being uncontrollably tossed around as much now when I hit bumps. Harsher, bone jarring, but more controlled.

There is a thread on this board where the OP was concerned safety wise with stock sways and found upgrading made quite the difference in emergency scenarios. I can very much see that given what I've noticed in spirited, not emergency, driving with these parts installed.

Anyway, thanks to the board and those that replied to my questions about what mods to do to my car. Next week I'm lowering it with the Eibachs and putting on Forgeline 19's and TBD summer sticky rubber. Can't wait to feel how that changes the handling and ride of my car. Not to mention how the Forgeline's will look.

Last edited by bmckenney; 07-06-2012 at 12:25 AM.
Old 07-06-2012, 01:13 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
these sways do make a big difference, especially on the non-s models since they have smaller sways from the factory. glad youre liking them!

Old 07-28-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
how much was the total cost of the mod with the install?

Old 08-03-2012, 06:22 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
your thread was really helpful !!! can't wait to read up on the other mods you'll be posting about

Old 08-22-2012, 01:16 AM
Received 29 Likes on 28 Posts
best mod for the G hands down!!! I miss mine already (mine are for sale btw )