Did my Akebono BBK install today! pics inside of the process and issues!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2012, 01:06 AM
Received 451 Likes on 305 Posts
Just did a quick search..looks like those rear lines are for brembo equipped G/Zs

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...t-fitment.html

Edit..looking at your pics again, your front lines are also the premium ones and don't appear to be connected to your front calipers..?

Old 07-24-2012, 08:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 36 Posts
Originally Posted by G35Papa
Just did a quick search..looks like those rear lines are for brembo equipped G/Zs

https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...t-fitment.html

Edit..looking at your pics again, your front lines are also the premium ones and don't appear to be connected to your front calipers..?
No they are connected to the calipers, that's not all the lines for the front Caliper. There is a continuational line that goes behind that knuckle and another link/line on the other side of the suspension that goes to the caliper. It's a pretty complicated set up on our Gs with front lines.

I also called Z1 today and they said that I got the right rear lines, it's just I need some sort of another connection with that block, an additional line. He said you can get them from the dealer from a G37 coupe Sport model. I personally never heard anything about this extra brake line before, nor anyone ever mentioned it

Anyway I bought this kit as it was listed for 370Z & G37 with Akebono BBK. So the guy at Z1 said if those brakes came with my car as factory, I would have had a different line and that line with block would have worked. He said they do those there all the time.

Last edited by Shurik355; 07-24-2012 at 08:16 PM.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:53 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
^^ What the Z1 guy said could very well be. You'd have to look at a G37 w/Sport and see if there's a hard segment connecting from that block to the caliper. I say "hard" segment because if it were rubber, I can't imagine they wouldn't have included it in the kit. SO maybe the best thing to do is research whether the G37 has that segment or not, and then buy it separately aso you can use the Z1 SS lines. Obviously you could just buy the short banjo bolt instead, but that means you've still got rubber lines.

Old 07-24-2012, 10:26 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
^^ What the Z1 guy said could very well be. You'd have to look at a G37 w/Sport and see if there's a hard segment connecting from that block to the caliper. I say "hard" segment because if it were rubber, I can't imagine they wouldn't have included it in the kit. SO maybe the best thing to do is research whether the G37 has that segment or not, and then buy it separately aso you can use the Z1 SS lines. Obviously you could just buy the short banjo bolt instead, but that means you've still got rubber lines.
Yeah I need to research a little and see what I can find. But you know all kind of different manufacturers sell this COMPLETE Akebono BBK kit and they don't include anything extra like what I need in the back for the caliper, you know. And nothing is mentioned about it as well.
Also what if I keep the rubber lines in the back? We'll see...

Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 PM
^^ There's really nothing wrong with running the rubber lines in back, it's more just the thought that you've paid for the SS lines and besides they're all sexy and everything like the est of the car.

Old 07-24-2012, 11:54 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
oh man those are some rusty hubs, car needs some tlc in the garage

Old 07-25-2012, 09:28 AM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
Shurik, i'm still inclined to think you got a different one. The lines on ours doesn't have to be that complicated. Mine looks like this.

Straight shot from caliper to hard line.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:42 AM
Originally Posted by soundmike
Shurik, i'm still inclined to think you got a different one. The lines on ours doesn't have to be that complicated. Mine looks like this.

That looks right Mike, but those are for a G35, NOT a G37 Sport, correct? IDK if they are indeed different, but I'd say verifying THAT would be the true test here.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:22 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
It's what's on mine, IIRC, which is a G35 with the Ake retrofit. This is getting to confusing.

I'll try to dig up my old photos and/or take another photo under the car as soon as time allows and will post back.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:30 PM
It's what's on mine, IIRC, which is a G35 with the Ake retrofit. This is getting to confusing.

I'll try to dig up my old photos and/or take another photo under the car as soon as time allows and will post back.
No, no, Mike, that makes perfect sense that the kit you showed would fit (providing the banjo bolt is a tad shorter); that's exactly what he was able to do with his OEM rubber lines too. What he said was that the Z1 SS line kit was spec'd for a G37 with Sport brakes, so there is still the chance that on a G37 with Sport, they would work as is. Does that make sense? I don't know that there is any difference between the 35 and the 37, but I can see how we can't just assume their respective brake lines are identical.

Old 07-25-2012, 01:09 PM
Received 856 Likes on 744 Posts
Does this help?? He has the czp rear brake line..
https://g35driver.com/forums/brakes-...03-07-g-z.html

Old 07-25-2012, 01:44 PM
Received 71 Likes on 68 Posts
brakes look nice..

Old 07-25-2012, 01:59 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Looks great...Had them on my g35 and my friend had them too, i use my stock lines i just cut my banjo bolt cause it was too long..but that line u got is the wrong one, he got the one in the pic mike posted...

Old 07-28-2012, 10:08 PM
Ok guys my Akebono Install turned into NIGHTMARE

So I moved my Project Kics 10mm spacers with built in studs that I had in the front to the back, so the rear wheels could clear the calipers, if you remember. So it clears all nice now but now the the factory studs appears to be too long and won't let the wheels to sit flush on the hub. The studs that spacers are sitting on are hitting the inside of my AfterMarket wheels ( there are holes for the studs in the wheels, but holes are not deep enough due to high offset of the wheels if you know what Im talking about. ... Im gonna have to trim my factory studs now so the wheels can sit flush.

Name:  120728_003.jpg
Views: 343
Size:  168.4 KB

So i installed my Factory wheels on the back so I can drive for now and wow how much clearance vs my Avant Garde wheels!!!

Name:  120728_007.jpg
Views: 387
Size:  190.8 KB

So anyway the 10mm front spacers went to the back, and my 5mm spacers went to the front... The front barely clears the front calipers, there is like 1mm clearance now! pretty scary... I do have 15mm spacers coming for the front though, but for now that's what I have.

Name:  120728_006.jpg
Views: 353
Size:  199.3 KB

OK now the WORST part!
I got a leak from the front Factory line right where it's highlighted in red. I remember when I was bleeding the brakes it leaked from there as well and the other side, I tightened the other side and then this one but it still leaks from here... It leaks pretty bad too. Anyone had this problem before and WHY has this happned??? I want to get new one now and install. Hopefully it will fix the leak! Have no idea why it's leaking from there!!!

Name:  120728_009-1.jpg
Views: 411
Size:  201.8 KB

Old 07-28-2012, 11:16 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts

These are the ones you get with the kit if you buy it from z performance website!! So they are specifically for the Akebonos!!

Maybe ÿôū tighted them to tight and broke something! Thats my only guess man!! Just get the ones in the picture! They steel lines too! (I got them myself)! It sucks you when to some trouble! So, you stock on rears, and aftermarket wheels in the front?!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Did my Akebono BBK install today! pics inside of the process and issues!