Power Steering Woes

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 07:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Power Steering Woes

Hello All,

I have a 2007 Infiniti G35s, with no power steering. Replaced the pump and still no power assisted steering. Before I throw more money at it, I'm looking for possible issues. I've read that persons experiencing this problem has changed pump and rack and the problem remains.

Off the floor, the steering is smooth (obviously no load on the front), but it's really hard and tight to turn the wheel.

Any advice at what to look for is appreciated and most welcomed.

Old 08-10-2012, 07:53 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
possible leak somewhere?? Does the reservoir level drop? I guessing youve already checked out the tie rods, boots etc...

From what iv seen it has to be your rack and pinion assembly that needs to be replaced as long as you dont have any other leaks in the system and considering you have already replaced your pump witha working one. Get underneath the car and see if there is a slow leak on the r&p assembly around a 'bolt' on the driver side

Last edited by kool_yaar; 08-10-2012 at 07:58 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 08:20 PM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
possible leak somewhere?? Does the reservoir level drop? I guessing youve already checked out the tie rods, boots etc...

From what iv seen it has to be your rack and pinion assembly that needs to be replaced as long as you dont have any other leaks in the system and considering you have already replaced your pump witha working one. Get underneath the car and see if there is a slow leak on the r&p assembly around a 'bolt' on the driver side

Thanks for responding. No leaks. I was reading that on the older G35's there's a computer sensor that controls the power steering. Do you know if such a thing is in the 07' G35S model?

I have no problems swapping out the Power Steering, but I don't want to spend $3-$400 only to find out I still can't turn the wheel.

Old 08-10-2012, 08:52 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ good point, im thinking there will be a computer given that our cars have speed sensitive steerings actually im sure there is now that i think about it but there is a more general name of the unit i cant recall right now i think it was chassis computer.... ill look over the FSM when it get home and let you know if you dont find it before me. You should download the FSM and look under steering in the mean time

Last edited by kool_yaar; 08-10-2012 at 09:02 PM.
Old 08-10-2012, 11:52 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Did this problem appear all at once? or did it slowly degrade to the point of no hydraulic assist? I think if it was sudden, or at least intermittent and then suddenly constant, then the idea of some sensor or logic being involved makes sense. If it was gradual and you have no leaks, then of course the pump and the rack are suspects, but barring them, the one cause I've seen come up on another car (actually a Lexus, which is surprising cuz they NEVER have problems )...anyway, it was caused by the filter screen in the fluid reservoir getting clogged and preventing normal fluid circulation. Of course, that may have nothing to do with your situation, just wanted to put it out there so you'd heard of it in case nothing else turns up.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:13 AM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Did this problem appear all at once? or did it slowly degrade to the point of no hydraulic assist? I think if it was sudden, or at least intermittent and then suddenly constant, then the idea of some sensor or logic being involved makes sense. If it was gradual and you have no leaks, then of course the pump and the rack are suspects, but barring them, the one cause I've seen come up on another car (actually a Lexus, which is surprising cuz they NEVER have problems )...anyway, it was caused by the filter screen in the fluid reservoir getting clogged and preventing normal fluid circulation. Of course, that may have nothing to do with your situation, just wanted to put it out there so you'd heard of it in case nothing else turns up.

I bought the car and had it shipped out the country. I didn't know it had power steering issue until I received it. So I don't know how the power steering came to be like this. I had to change the power steering pump immediately be the fluid was spraying out of it whenever the wheel was turned. I figured changing the pump would've set things straight but ... still struggling to turn the wheel. I ordered a steering rack, but before I have the front end torn apart to replace it, I would like to inspect all avenues first. I want to know everything that contributes to the power steering.

I was doing some reading last night and found there's a power steering control module that's behind the glove box. Also, there's an electronic connection to the rack.

Old 08-11-2012, 11:15 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ good point, im thinking there will be a computer given that our cars have speed sensitive steerings actually im sure there is now that i think about it but there is a more general name of the unit i cant recall right now i think it was chassis computer.... ill look over the FSM when it get home and let you know if you dont find it before me. You should download the FSM and look under steering in the mean time

I'm assuming FSM means Factory Service Manual? Do you know where I can find it?

Old 08-11-2012, 11:30 AM
^^ Yes, that's what FSM means, and you can download it for free after registering (also free) here: http://x.infinitihelp.com/forum/local_links.php?catid=3

Lots of other good info there too

Old 08-11-2012, 08:40 PM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts
wow thats to bad,," fluid spraying out of it when attempting to turn" sounds like there is a restriction or blockage somewhere in system....good luck with this.. let us know how you make out!!

Old 08-12-2012, 01:01 PM
Well, I've checked the Power steering solenoid valve and the power steering control unit. They're both fine. Attempted to check the Power Steering Angle sensor, but apprarently that's for AWD G's only.

Off to check other things.

Old 08-12-2012, 02:39 PM
Checked Rack and hoses for leaks but everything is dry. Fluid level in the reservoir is fine. Anyone has instructions how to check to see if fluid is actually getting into the rack?

Old 09-21-2012, 09:02 AM
Ended up changing the rack but the power steering is still stiff. Now the mechanic is saying the rack needs to be reprogrammed to the car. Does that sound right to anyone?

Old 09-21-2012, 10:35 AM
Originally Posted by bbbngowc
Ended up changing the rack but the power steering is still stiff. Now the mechanic is saying the rack needs to be reprogrammed to the car. Does that sound right to anyone?
Not to be redundant, but that answer to that should be in the FSM. Alternatively, you could just call and ask the service department at a dealership. Also, If you changed the rack and it's still stiff, couldn't that mean there is blockage elsewhere in the system?

Old 09-27-2012, 11:10 AM
Finally found the issue. It was the Power Steering pump all along. The new one I bought was faulty. Swapped it out for another and steering is really smooth.