Installed aftermarket wheels, TPMS light did not turn on?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-14-2012, 01:10 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Installed aftermarket wheels, TPMS light did not turn on?

07 G35x.

I installed my brand new tires and wheels for the first time (ditched the crappy stock tires and rims) and I recalled there was an embedded TPMS sensor in at least one of the new wheels (at least that's what it looks like). To my big surprise my TPMS light didn't come on at all, is it working properly right out of the box??? I have driven the car for a couple of days now, for about 40-50 km.

*EDIT* I just e-mailed the store I bought it from and they said my order didn't come with the TPMS and they were surprised the light didn't come on.... weird...

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by G35XX; 09-14-2012 at 12:25 PM.
Old 09-14-2012, 12:13 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by G35XX
07 G35x.

I installed my brand new tires and wheels for the first time (ditched the crappy stock tires and rims) and I recalled there was an embedded TPMS sensor in at least one of the new wheels (at least that's what it looks like). To my big surprise my TPMS light didn't come on at all, is it working properly right out of the box???

More background:

- the tires have about 0.3% difference in diameter, they're not staggered, same diameters on all 4
- I have driven the car for a couple of days now, for about 40km

Thanks in advance.
Kind of confusing, but . . .

as I understand this, you put a new set of wheels on your car, but did not transfer the TPMS sensors from the old wheels to the new ones, yet you noticed there MIGHT have been a different TPMS sensor on one of the new wheels already, is that right? SO, if your light is not on, and your system is working properly, then there must have been sensors on all four wheels AND the installers must have synced them to the system, otherwise the lights should have gone off; if they didn't, then it's failing.

Tire diameter has nothing to do with TPMS functionality, but it seems odd that you note a diameter difference while being the same diameter ?? Is that supposed to mean that the sizes are the same, but have different tread depths?

Old 09-14-2012, 12:23 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
Kind of confusing, but . . .

as I understand this, you put a new set of wheels on your car, but did not transfer the TPMS sensors from the old wheels to the new ones, yet you noticed there MIGHT have been a different TPMS sensor on one of the new wheels already, is that right?
I just e-mailed the store I bought it from and according to their records, I did not purchase the sensors from them

SO, if your light is not on, and your system is working properly, then there must have been sensors on all four wheels AND the installers must have synced them to the system, otherwise the lights should have gone off; if they didn't, then it's failing.
I checked the light on the dash when I push the START button (without pressing the brake pedal) and the TPMS light did go on for a second, which indicates that the bulb did not fail!

Tire diameter has nothing to do with TPMS functionality, but it seems odd that you note a diameter difference while being the same diameter ?? Is that supposed to mean that the sizes are the same, but have different tread depths?
What I meant was I ran wider tire on all 4 while keeping diameters almost the same as the old one. I should leave that comment out then since TPMS doesn't have to do with the diameter (edited original comment).

Old 09-14-2012, 12:34 PM
Well, if the lamp test during start up shows a functioning bulb, then the system is either happy (thinks all sensors are reporting good pressure) or completely deluded (sky is falling and it's still smiling). A quick test would be to run down to the gas station (or somewhere with an air hose) and deflate one of the tires to about 18 lbs, then drive around the block and see if it reports the low pressure condition. (Then re-inflate the tire regardless!)

If the system works, it works. If it doesn't, it's broken.

Old 09-14-2012, 10:46 PM
Received 137 Likes on 128 Posts
Mine stayed off for a few days of short drives but once I took it on an extended drive it came on and comes on w/ every drive. I bet yours will do the same thing. Mine's an 09 and this was three years ago when I got my 20s.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:03 PM
Originally Posted by blnewt
Mine stayed off for a few days of short drives but once I took it on an extended drive it came on and comes on w/ every drive. I bet yours will do the same thing. Mine's an 09 and this was three years ago when I got my 20s.
Thanks, I'll keep an eye out for the light then as the tires break in.

Old 09-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
My sensors have been in 3 different sets of wheels and all four of these wheels have been to the wheel repair shop at least twice where the tires were dismounted, they work fine. There's no reason to suspect they won't continue to work.
Gary

Old 09-14-2012, 11:17 PM
Originally Posted by gary c
My sensors have been in 3 different sets of wheels and all four of these wheels have been to the wheel repair shop at least twice where the tires were dismounted, they work fine. There's no reason to suspect they won't continue to work.
Gary
But the OP is of the mind that perhaps there are no sensors in the wheels currently.

Old 09-15-2012, 04:55 AM
I drove ttrank's car solo

Received 1,486 Likes on 1,221 Posts
G35 sedan w/ too much money in mods
Originally Posted by blnewt
This. I'm not running the sensors in my rims and it takes about 40 minutes of continuous driving for the light to come on.

Old 09-15-2012, 01:52 PM
UPDATE:

I finally took it out on the freeway, and finally the light went on and everytime after that when I start the car. Kind of surprised that it took 70km of driving. Now I can sleep at night knowing that my TPMS is working correctly.

Thanks everyone.