Power steering problem after new rack and pinion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 12:00 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Power steering problem after new rack and pinion

Hey guys. Well, after extensive searching reading post after post and talking to the mechanics at the shop about this problem, I'm still not quite sure what is happening.

The car: 2007 G35x sedan with 86k miles.

Essentially, the car had the rack and pinion replaced and it now feels like there is absolutely no power steering. The shop has installed two refab R&Ps ($300/ea) that did not function properly and then resorted to ordering a OEM R&P ($1300) and it's still not working. When I drive, it's a workout to turn the wheel and I have to use both hands to take sharp turns (90* at a low speed). Dangerous. There was NO issue with the power steering before they replaced the R&P. In the past, I did notice that the PS fluid was at the low mark but it never went any lower so I figured any leak that may have occurred has stopped.

Here's what we've checked so far:
- power steering fluid has been flushed 3x
- no bubbles in the system whatsoever
- no leaks from power steering pump, they say it looks good and is performing
- belt is tight, no slipping sound
- no squealing from under the hood
- no warning lights on (CEL, VDC, ABS, etc.)

I've been reading about the Steering Angle Sensor and how this may need to be reprogrammed. I spoke to the shop about it and they aren't convinced it's the problem. They think it's a circulation issue, so i also researched that. I read that a clogged power steering fluid screen could cause this type of problem. However, would this make it feel as if there is no power steering at all? The other issue I read was that the U joint connecting the steering column to the R&P could be seized and must be cleaned or replaced. I asked about this and they said they lubed it after installing the R&P the first time.

At this point, i'm frustrated and want to avoid replacing parts that (people have said on this forum) don't need to be replaced as a means of trial-and-error. Reading all these posts about the Steering Angle Sensor leads me to believe this may be the problem, but people have not followed up on their posts to say if replacing the sensor resolved the problem. My question is, why would this sensor go bad when replacing the R&P? Is it possible that the sensor just needs to be reset to function again?

Any and all help is greatly appreciated! I just want to get her back on the road without any issues. I love the G when she's running, but when these problems come up, my eyes start to wander and I get the itch to buy something new.

Here's the entire backstory (if you want to read it). I took my car in to replace a bad rear caliper. They saw the wheel bearings were bad and rack and pinion (R&P) was leaking and recommended replacing with a remanufactured part. I agreed to all the work, picked up the car two days later and noticed a rubbing/vibrating sound coming from the front passenger wheel only when turning sharp right. Took the car back in, they said the R&P was defective and replaced it. I pick the car up two days later and drive off the lot, but have to fight with the wheel to turn. Immediately, I know something isn't right so I turn around and take it back to the shop. They say the R&P is again defective and replace it again (2nd refab R&P). I pick the car up again and am told by the shop that they test drove the car and everything is good. After taking the car around the block, same problem. I'm pissed at this point. I take it back in, they say that the refab part isn't working and that the only solution is to go with a OEM part which is $1300. I agree and they order the part from an Infiniti dealer and install it two days later. I get the car back and it seems like the problem is fixed, huzzah, power steering is back. The next morning, everything is fine until I accelerate quickly to get through a light before it changes and the wheel gets super tight and is difficult to turn the entire drive home . I call up the shop, they tell me to bring it back in and they'll take a look again. This evolution has been about 4 weeks and is on going. I'm starting to get really tired of going in and out of the shop, but I want them to take responsibility for the problem. I'm reluctant to take it to another shop as i'll have to pay them to diagnose the problem and then go through all the same issues again. The current shop has a responsibility to fix a problem that was created from a part they replaced.

Sorry for the novel of a post. I'm just tired of this. Thanks.

Keywords: power steering, power steering fluid, power steering problem, steering angle sensor, rack and pinion, steering rack, steering column

Old 04-25-2015, 04:21 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Adam, OUCH! I hate to say it, but it sounds like your chosen mechanics may not be up to the task. There is a whole host of dynamic electronic control to the operation of the PS system, and simple replacement of mechanical parts over and over may never solve a control issue. I agree with you that there is very likely something else going on. I believe you (and your "mechanics") would do well to read up and familiarize yourself on the particulars of the PS control system here in the FSM:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda..._Sedan/stc.pdf

also, the general steering section:
http://www.nicoclub.com/FSM/G35/Seda...5_Sedan/st.pdf

(BTW, note how there is a whole dedicated section in the manual just for the control system!)

Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

The following users liked this post:
adam_g35x (04-26-2015)
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 AM
Just to provide an update, I drove the car out to the infiniti dealer (Passport, Alexandria VA) for them to take a look. On the way, I took a corner with some speed and the wheel loosened up and the power steering returned (for now). With that happening, maybe it's a circulation issue?

I'll report back when I hear from Infiniti.

Old 05-06-2015, 11:48 PM
Just to provide some closure, I ended up taking the car into the dealer to be diagnosed. They determined the power steering pump wasn't creating enough pressure so they replaced the pump and flushed the system again. The bill totaled $1160 at Passport Infiniti in Alexandria. She drives like a champ now and they even fixed that little pull to the left. Really happy have this behind me even though it cost all the moneymoneys.

The following users liked this post:
Terence Wong (02-27-2020)
Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

Thanks for the post. That did take a lot of money. One thing, there aren't that many good private mechanics these days. Even those that say they've worked at a Nissan dealership for a long time aren't that good. I've experienced this twice over before I learned my lesson. You're best bet is always going to a Nissan/Infiniti dealership because at least there, they know how to fix it. The mechanics are also up to date on knowing how to fix your car, plus they've probably already seen that issue. Sounds like the mechanics that worked on your car didn't know how to diagnose the problem. What are the chances that a new r&p was defective? Highly unlikely. They should've troubleshoot backwards to know that it was a steering pump issue. If it wasn't a kinked or leaky line or loose belt, then the only thing is the steering pump. Plus, they could've just checked the fluid pressure coming from the pump to begin with.

Old 02-27-2020, 12:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Infiniti G35 Sedan RWD automatic
Originally Posted by adam_g35x
Just to provide some closure, I ended up taking the car into the dealer to be diagnosed. They determined the power steering pump wasn't creating enough pressure so they replaced the pump and flushed the system again. The bill totaled $1160 at Passport Infiniti in Alexandria. She drives like a champ now and they even fixed that little pull to the left. Really happy have this behind me even though it cost all the moneymoneys.
damn all that work and it turned out to be just the pump 😂🤦🏽‍♂️ I was expecting something difficult needed to be done to reset the RP or someshit. I guess it’s just plug n play?