Looking for a control arm DIY...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-11-2017, 12:08 PM
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Looking for a control arm DIY...

Hey guys,

I've been looking in all of the usual places, including the service manual, and I cannot for the life of me find a guide or some instructions regarding how to replace the lower control arms in a 2007 g35x.

The service manual says you have to remove the entire engine, which seems a bit ridiculous to me, and I can't find any other resources.

If anyone has any knowledge on this subject, or knows where to find some help, please let me know, and I will use it to make a DIY guide myself!

Old 09-11-2017, 09:56 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Sedan or coupe? There isn't an actual lower control arm on the front, they call it a transverse link which is attached to the front member. I'm almost 100% sure it doesn't require the engine to be removed and that you're misreading the FSM. You should be able to separate the ball joint, the sway bar, the bolt that goes to the front member, and the big dampener/stabilizer bushing that's the other part going to the front member.

Have you tried a youtube search?

Old 09-11-2017, 10:56 PM
Received 738 Likes on 627 Posts
The X would only be a sedan for 2007.

OP, the problem is that the X has a lot of parts in the front suspension that are different than all other models, that's most likely why it's hard to find DIYs. Most aftermarket companies don't even make parts for the X, so hopefully someone with an X who's done this before can chime in here, or if you want to post some detailed pictures, we may be able to help you that way.

Old 09-11-2017, 11:17 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I didn't know the suspension is actually different, I though the whole point of the transverse link was the front member could be replaced with the front axle for an AWD setup, thus leaving enough room for the drive axles?

Old 09-12-2017, 11:53 AM
Yup, it's definitely a sedan, since I don't think they made AWD coupes at this point.

See, I can find tons of tutorials on how to replace it on the RWD version of the car, and it looks relatively straight forward, so I can't imagine that the AWD version is that much different, but I don't have any sort of idea where to even get started. The last thing I want to do is tear the entire front end of my car apart only to realize I can't put it back together.

Sourcing parts seem relatively easy, at least, Rockauto has the parts in stock, but I wish there was some sort of resource to help me get started... All the service manual says regarding this is "Remove suspension assembly with engine assembly from vehicle", and I don't want to follow the engine removal process because that definitely seems like overkill.

Hopefully someone can chime in and help! If not, to the mechanic I go!

Old 09-12-2017, 12:02 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
You need to read further into the FSM than just the overview, scroll down and pick an individual component for more exact directions. There; s a link to something pertaining to AWD but I didn't follow the link. Also look in the front axle section not just suspension section.

The following users liked this post:
Saaif88 (09-12-2017)
Old 09-12-2017, 12:31 PM
Hmm, you are sort of right, I actually needed to read everything preceding to figure out what to do. See, the service manual does more or less say what to do, but isn't very step-by-step. I'll see if I can write a step by step process myself for anyone looking to do this in the future. Thanks cleric!

To anyone else looking: The start of the instructions are on FSU-33, which then references FSU-29 and ST-34.

Old 09-12-2017, 03:28 PM
BANNED!!!

Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
I also compare the FSM to the Haynes/Chilton manual. Sometimes one will have an easier teardown than the other, plus the Haynes fits in my trunk while the FSM fits on a long bookshelf

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.