Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2007, 07:46 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts
im changing mine today.. id take pix, but i dont have a camera =[

Old 09-29-2007, 02:26 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow, 5L of oil eh?

My 2003 Maxima is essentially the same engine, but mine only takes 4L. My nieghbour just picked up a 2005 G35C and wanted me to help change his oil.

Old 09-29-2007, 02:36 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by terrycs
I've never used ramps before, only floor jack and jack stands. Is it possible to get the front of a lowered car onto ramps?
I have ultraramps with ramp extensions... And I still can't get my stock height G35 up the ramps, because they hit my front lip. I'm too lazy to set up the ramps anyways, so I don't use them anymore, even on my other cars... I just use jacks and jack stands...

Old 09-30-2007, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
Capacity increased with Rev up motor in '05 IIRC. I was looking at an '03 G owners guide and it shows 4L so this must be the case.

"Wow, 5L of oil eh?

My 2003 Maxima is essentially the same engine, but mine only takes 4L. My nieghbour just picked up a 2005 G35C and wanted me to help change his oil."
Interesting...

My 04' G35 shows 5 US quarts, which should be something like 4.75 litres or something.

Old 09-30-2007, 08:15 PM
Received 1,132 Likes on 1,002 Posts
Do'in your own oil change/filter........!

For those who wish to use ramps there's special ramps on the market for
lowered cars. Or you could do like I have and lift the car while someone
slides the jack under the frame. I need to spend that extra $200 to get
Sears racing jack........not, that's four oil changes on my car. Just so you
guys know, hand tighten means snug plus all the pressure you can gather
to get it tighter with both hands. Another thing, you don't need to change
that washer on the drain plug every time you change oil. Only change it
when you notice seepage from the drain plug. I still have four from my
'92 300ZXTT, two I used in 11 years I owned that car doing oil changes every
2K miles......does this tell you anything? Oh yea, I had 125K miles on my Z
when someone else drove it out of my garage......sold!

Old 12-06-2007, 01:52 PM
Originally Posted by acidrane
2. using a 10mm socket, unscrew the 16 (or was it 17) screws that hold the belly pan on. there are 3 plastic clips in the middle of the belly pan. to remove these, use a flathead and pop the center of the clip out. the entire clip assembly will then fall down.

3. once the belly pan is off, everything is in plain view. the drain plug and filter (located literally an inch above the drain plug....so easy!)
Are you kidding me? All that junk has to be moved to get to the drain plug and filter? Do you drive a sedan or coupe? Is it lowered? You don't have scraping issues driving up on ramps? I'm so unsure about where to put jack stands or what points to use as jack points, and then I'm super scary when it comes to getting up under there as low as my car sits even being totally stock. I don't like being under there any longer than I have to. If it fell, there would be no turning back! And with all that junk covering the underside of the car, I'd have to be under there that much longer? I suppose it still beats paying 30 bucks for a bloomin' oil change.

BTW, I've only had this car for like five months and I'm extremely nervous about screwing stuff up.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:49 AM
Originally Posted by obsdnoblivion
Are you kidding me? All that junk has to be moved to get to the drain plug and filter? Do you drive a sedan or coupe? Is it lowered? You don't have scraping issues driving up on ramps? I'm so unsure about where to put jack stands or what points to use as jack points, and then I'm super scary when it comes to getting up under there as low as my car sits even being totally stock. I don't like being under there any longer than I have to. If it fell, there would be no turning back! And with all that junk covering the underside of the car, I'd have to be under there that much longer? I suppose it still beats paying 30 bucks for a bloomin' oil change.

BTW, I've only had this car for like five months and I'm extremely nervous about screwing stuff up.
It's not that bad... I place the jackstands at the owner's manual specified side jack points. I jack the car up using the front/center jack point, which is a dog-bone looking thing under the engine compartment area.

When it's on stands, I place a cinderblock behind the rear-wheels... The car is pretty sturdy in this setup, so I wouldn't worry about anythign...

As far as screwing up the oil change... There really isn't much you could screw up, as long as you use the correct oil/filter. Just make sure to lubricate the gasket on the filter before you install it.

Old 12-16-2007, 02:57 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When it comes to the drain plug...

Anyone using the Drain Plug Crush Washer NISSAN / INFINITI recommends?

Old 12-16-2007, 03:17 AM
Originally Posted by Jason@Riverside
When it comes to the drain plug...

Anyone using the Drain Plug Crush Washer NISSAN / INFINITI recommends?
I just bought a pack of crush washers at the local auto-parts store.

Old 12-16-2007, 12:25 PM
I just changed my oil recently. I got the car up on rhino ramps (the wider 12000 ones) without any problems.

I then removed four rear screws on the belly pan. The rear part of the belly pan then folds down (there's a cleft) exposing the oil pan and filter. I didn't need to remove all 16 screws to take the whole belly pan off.

Apart from getting the OEM oil filter off, the rest of the oil change was easy.

I installed a Fram SureDrain plug for easier oil changes in the future too.

Old 01-19-2008, 01:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fkl118
I installed a Fram SureDrain plug for easier oil changes in the future too.
Make sure you monitor this. Many people on other forums have indicated the Fram SureDrain leaks. In installed one on my last car and removed it at the next oil change.

Old 02-25-2008, 09:11 PM
FYi

2008 Sport Sedan - I DO NOT have the access door. I had to remove the whole plastic panel to gain access to the oil drain plug and filter.

FYI for some of you with an 08

Old 02-26-2008, 09:03 PM
The plastic panel in my 07 has a creased "hinge" across the whole panel, but no trap door. I unscrew the four rear screws and the whole back half of the panel folds forward.

Old 02-26-2008, 11:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ez-g
The plastic panel in my 07 has a creased "hinge" across the whole panel, but no trap door. I unscrew the four rear screws and the whole back half of the panel folds forward.
Ditto for my 08 Journey. It doesn't have a trap door per se, but it has a crease where all I need to do is remove 4 screws and just fold the panel down along the crease for access to the oil filter and oil pan.

Old 03-23-2008, 04:49 PM
I think the X (AWD) cars have the hinged door in the belly pan.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Oil Change