DIY: Oil Change

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-14-2008, 10:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RowanBuds
Can anyone describe what the crush washer should look like. I went to the local autozone, bought everything (i dont need a new drain plug, correct?) and asked the guy for a crush washer.

He gave me some blue plastic ring, that looked like it had a star cut in the center, perfectly round on the outside. Does that sound right?
Should look something like this:

Old 07-06-2009, 01:09 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i thought the current gen has a flap on the lower plastic cover for oil change.

FYI for anyone who has lowered G. i bought nakada ramps for my lowered evo way back, works great and no fear of driving up on hacked up "ramps" made of wood with them slipping on concrete or cracking.

Last edited by mifesto; 07-06-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 07-28-2010, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Any1 use a Fumoto valve in place of their OEM drain plug?
I just got my '07 G35x last week so still I'm learning about the car.
I had the valve on my last car ('05 Legacy GT) for a couple yrs and had no issues w/it.

Old 07-28-2010, 03:40 AM
Received 375 Likes on 296 Posts
Originally Posted by Gdup35sedan
+1... you need to more than just hand tighten the oil filter and drain plug. Once you feel the filter is tight, give it another 1/2-1 full turn (as tight as your hands will let you). The drain plug needs to be tightened back on with the 14mm wrench, dont do it too tight though, just make sure its "snug" (i've done 2000+ oil changes in the last 2 years so i'm not just talkin outta my a$$) also, when changing the filter... make sure that the gasket from the old filter comes off with it (sometimes they like to stick to the housing) and if you double gasket it you'll have one BIIIIG mess to clean up.
-GP-
YES! Check to make sure that damn piece of shlt little rubber ring is on the old filter. I did that once and OMG. I only got less than a mile away and brand new oil was spraying everywhere. Totally embarrassed and a waste of new oil and filter.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:21 PM
Thanks

Originally Posted by acidrane
OK so i changed my oil last night and thought id give you guys a run down on how its down. i wont take any responsibility for your actions due to lack of experience or ignorance (i gotta cover my *** here! )

i don't have pics, i wasn't planning on writing a diy but after doing it, i thought id share my experience.

1. drive the car up on rhino ramps (you can jack it up and use jack stands as well)

2. using a 10mm socket, unscrew the 16 (or was it 17) screws that hold the belly pan on. there are 3 plastic clips in the middle of the belly pan. to remove these, use a flathead and pop the center of the clip out. the entire clip assembly will then fall down.

3. once the belly pan is off, everything is in plain view. the drain plug and filter (located literally an inch above the drain plug....so easy!)/ the plug and filter are located on the passenger side of the car. take a 14mm wrench and unscrew the drain plug (make sure the oil cap on top is off!). then unscrew the filter off. you may need a locking type oil filter remover if its on too tight (usually attaches to a ratchet and as you tighten the ratchet, it'll squeeze and remove the filter).

4. get the new filter and screw it on. tighten it as much as you can using your bare hands, then turn it 1/4 turn more. hand tighten it only! (make sure you dab a little oil on the rubber seal)

5. screw the drain plug back in. use the 14mm wrench to tighten it. after its tight, turn it 1/4 turn more. DO NOT over tighten the drain plug

6. start filling the oil from up top. i put in 5.25 quarts in and ran the engine, then checked the levels. make sure everything is tight and sealed, no leaks.

7. get back down and screw the belly pan back on.

there is no trap door on the belly pan, tho having one would've saved me a lot of time. the took me longer to get the belly pan off then to change the oil!! this is by far, the easiest engine I've changed the oil on. once the belly pan is off, everything is right there in front of you. you don't have to reach up thru wires and hoses and hot engine parts. hope this helps you guys!

vick
Thanks this is very helpful you

Old 01-15-2011, 07:48 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Originally Posted by Mike75
Any1 use a Fumoto valve in place of their OEM drain plug?
I just got my '07 G35x last week so still I'm learning about the car.
I had the valve on my last car ('05 Legacy GT) for a couple yrs and had no issues w/it.
I use the fumoto valve. It works great on the G. I like the one with the nipple.

Old 01-15-2011, 08:02 PM
Mr.202?

Received 205 Likes on 163 Posts
Originally Posted by filipinowise
Thanks this is very helpful you
Check this out, Its a video of the procedure + info

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/p...ment_video.htm

text explanation link http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/p...eplacement.htm

Old 01-15-2011, 08:16 PM
Originally Posted by thescreensavers
Check this out, Its a video of the procedure + info

http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/p...ment_video.htm

text explanation link http://infinitihelp.com/diy/gsedan/p...eplacement.htm
You are the man, i just ripped vid and put it on my ipad! im ready now!!! Thanks man!

Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 PM
I wanna thank everyone for posting all this info for the DYI oil change.

I just did my 1st oil change on my 08 G35X sedan today. It went really smooth.
I unscrewed the 3 screws to drop the hatch and when I unscrewed the oil filter half of the remaining oil didnt make it through the hatch hole. Anyone else having this issue? I was thinking about cutting up a piece of cardboard to kind of deflect the oil down the hatch hole. BTW I am doing this in my driveway not in a shop....

Old 05-15-2011, 09:22 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ u X guys have it easy, for at least the Sports you have take out 14-18bolts to get the entire engine rear cover off to do the change couple ppl take off the rear bolts and bend the cover but that for ME is asking for a mess, lol. You could use that new gadget i saw yesterday to divert oil through the 'hatch'. Ill try to find the link and post it in a few.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Here ya go Form a Funnel, but now that i see the ~$30 price id rather use a crappy piece of cardboard

Old 05-15-2011, 11:56 PM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
Here ya go Form a Funnel, but now that i see the ~$30 price id rather use a crappy piece of cardboard
HA, I used to have a little '79 Honda Accord that had a little funnel tray attached under the oil filter to direct the oil neatly through some hoses that were in the way; would have made a total mess without it... and it came from the factory like that!

Old 05-16-2011, 12:04 AM
Former G35driver Vendor
Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts
Easiest just to get an aluminum shroud where the oil access door keeps you from making a mess everywhere...

Old 05-16-2011, 12:17 AM
Received 227 Likes on 143 Posts
Originally Posted by Tollboothwilley
Easiest just to get an aluminum shroud where the oil access door keeps you from making a mess everywhere...
any news on the under shroud for the X?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:15 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
^just changed the oil in G35X today and it was the easiest oil change ever. there is a hole in the undertray for the drain plug and there is an access door to the filter right in the front. if you cant find them you shouldnt be changing your oil lol

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Oil Change