DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 11-05-2016 | 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by vqsmile
This is a gen2 specific thread.
I understand that, only reason I ask is because for the life of me, I can't get a straight answer on weather or not to disconnect anything or just a certain plug or not at all. It makes sense that just unbolting it, with everything plugged in, cleaning it and reinstalling, you shouldnt have any problems, but iv seen threads that contradict that. I dont get it....

Old 11-05-2016 | 08:27 PM
Originally Posted by stagnet04
I understand that, only reason I ask is because for the life of me, I can't get a straight answer on weather or not to disconnect anything or just a certain plug or not at all. It makes sense that just unbolting it, with everything plugged in, cleaning it and reinstalling, you shouldnt have any problems, but iv seen threads that contradict that. I dont get it....
I can't speak to the 1st gen cars, but with these 2nd gen cars there are completely valid and yet completely varied experiences, so it's hard to give a definitive answer across the board. Some may offer advice that worked well for them and others, and feel quite sure about it, but there are others with completely contrary results. Even the dealers have trouble handling the variability with which these cars react to the TB and idle relearn issues. It reeks of software issues within the ECU to me, but who knows.

I can tell you that either by moving the throttle plate on these drive-by-wire controlled TBs, by merely unplugging the TBs, or even just by cleaning a significant amount of built up residue without even moving the plate (such that airflow is appreciably altered at idle), can potentially trigger issues with the idle afterwards. Again, I don't know if it happens with the 1st gen cars, but 2nd gens can be a flip of the coin as to whether the idle relearn afterwards will "take" or not.

Sorry, but I can't offer a better answer than that. Just being honest.

Old 11-06-2016 | 01:42 PM
Actually that's a damn good answer and I totally agree on the issue being an ECU thing. That's why iv always stuck to older cars, just because the electronics of newer cars can cause so much havoc.
I just cleaned the TB by putting the car in drive, E brake on, put the key in the on position, and press on the accelerator. The butterfly opened up and cleaned it like that. So far, so good, runs good but I know it says it takes a few days for the ECU to really relearn the idle on its own, so we'll see. Thanks for the reply....

Old 11-19-2016 | 07:09 PM
Just did my today And connect everything back up and when I started my car my Rpms were going up and down,but the funny thing was car started and idle @2k at the first start up then it started to doing the up and down thing-what's my next step should be? And yes no CEL neither,don't know if I should drive it or not.

Old 11-19-2016 | 07:43 PM
Originally Posted by Sam G35S
Just did my today And connect everything back up and when I started my car my Rpms were going up and down,but the funny thing was car started and idle @2k at the first start up then it started to doing the up and down thing-what's my next step should be? And yes no CEL neither,don't know if I should drive it or not.
Have you read this thread?

( i.e. Did you perform the pedal release and idle relearn procedures outlined in the service manual and repeated in numerous places throughout this thread?)

Old 11-19-2016 | 07:49 PM
Have you read this thread?

( i.e. Did you perform the pedal release and idle relearn procedures outlined in the service manual and repeated in numerous places throughout this thread?)
Yes I did and CEL flashed and went solid and all and when I start the car it does 12-1800 rpm up and down and when I put it in gear it stays like 1100-1200,just don't know if this happened to others and the funny thing is I have no CEL light

Old 11-19-2016 | 08:02 PM
Yes I did and CEL flashed and went solid and all and when I start the car it does 12-1800 rpm up and down and when I put it in gear it stays like 1100-1200,just don't know if this happened to others and the funny thing is I have no CEL light
Your results are not the least bit surprising, nor atypical. This thread is filled with various accounts from people with residual idle problems. Sometimes the check engine light will not always come on right away. It may have to run for a while before it trips the "high idle" error code. Because the pedal dance required for the relearn procedures is convoluted, and people over the internet have no way of verifying you're doing it right, it can always be that, well, you're NOT doing it right . . . but then there is also the very real possibility that you've just had the bad fortune of being bitten in the A$$ by the quirky behavior of these cars around performing and retaining a successful idle relearn procedure.

Last edited by vqsmile; 11-19-2016 at 08:09 PM.
Old 11-19-2016 | 08:08 PM
Your results are not the least bit surprising, nor atypical. This thread is filled with various accounts from people with residual idle problems. Sometimes the check engine light will not always come on right away. It may have to run for a while before it trips the "high idle" error code. Because the pedal dance required for the relearn procedures is convoluted, and people over the internet have no way of verifying you're doing it right, it can always be that, well, you're NOT doing it right . . . but then there is also the very real possibility that you've just had the bad fortune of being bitten in the A$$ by the quirky behavior of these cars around performing and retaining a successful idle relearn procedure.

( I have tried to point this out repeatedly in this thread as well as many others on the subject, so anyone who has read through it, or searched around a bit, shouldn't be too surprised. There are clear warnings about the situation you now find yourself in. )
You ain't kidding man,I'm beating my head and still no response lol,but on a serious note I just drove the car around for about 7-8 miles and it drives just you can tell the high Throtle levels,good mpg and I also replaced my pcv at the same time,I guess I'll check in the am for leaks or I'll put the old one back just for the heck of it,I can't hear any noticeable air/vacuum leaks but again engines idling up and down its not much you can hear!

Old 11-19-2016 | 11:30 PM
Originally Posted by james0076ss
After cleaning your throttle bodies, do you guys experience a solid high idle or idles that go from 2K RPM down to 1k RPM and back up to 2k RPM again and again or something else? Like who4ever youtube (below).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLbzUH6SI_8
Mines doing the same thing,what was the fix for you?

Old 11-20-2016 | 09:00 AM
Garnet Ember G35X Sport EBC rotors LEDs GTR button Tail-as-Turn TBW undertray Alarm shock sensor
Read post 551 of this thread.

Old 11-20-2016 | 10:09 AM
Originally Posted by Red Shogun
Read post 551 of this thread.
Red Shogun- I did all of that few times,unless I did it wrong-but last night I did unplugged the pcv line(creating a huge vaccum leak) she does idles litlle rough but the idles down And it's not bouncing up and down.

Old 11-21-2016 | 12:39 PM
Red Shogun- I did all of that few times,unless I did it wrong-but last night I did unplugged the pcv line(creating a huge vaccum leak) she does idles litlle rough but the idles down And it's not bouncing up and down.
Hey Sam, sorry I didn't see your visitor message on my page until this AM. If you are still having trouble you might want to read through this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...h-new-tbs.html

Also, a few other things that are required for a relearn are proper battery voltages and engine temps.

Good luck.

Old 11-21-2016 | 01:03 PM
Hey Sam, sorry I didn't see your visitor message on my page until this AM. If you are still having trouble you might want to read through this thread: https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sed...h-new-tbs.html

Also, a few other things that are required for a relearn are proper battery voltages and engine temps.

Good luck.
Hi Vqsmile-yeah no worries I did all of that and this morning drop the car off at Infiniti to let them look at it and fix it!

Old 11-21-2016 | 01:05 PM
Hi Vqsmile-yeah no worries I did all of that and this morning drop the car off at Infiniti to let them look at it and fix it!
You tried pulling fuel injector pigtails?

Old 11-21-2016 | 01:19 PM
You tried pulling fuel injector pigtails?
No I haven't done that

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies