DIY: Clean your throttle bodies

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Old 08-25-2018 | 07:57 PM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Well, this DIY is somewhat wrong. OP says to move the butterfly while the TB connector and battery are still connected. That is guaranteed to throw off the settings. It is much easier to simply disconnect the battery first, than clean the TB.
Now this is a meaningful contribution. Also, step one of any automotive service procedure.

Kudos!

Old 08-25-2018 | 08:10 PM
In the first couple posts of this thread:

Quote: Some guy from 10 years ago:
"
It's very important to NOT disconnect the harness.
If it is disconnected, and the butterfly is moved while cleaning;
the ECU will lose the closed or zero position of the sensor.
If that happens the car may not start or may run poorly.
"

Old 08-26-2018 | 01:34 AM
Originally Posted by herrschaft
Well, this DIY is somewhat wrong. OP says to move the butterfly while the TB connector and battery are still connected. That is guaranteed to throw off the settings. It is much easier to simply disconnect the battery first, than clean the TB.
I moved the butterfly valves on both TBs, the throttle bodies were still connected, and the battery was still connected. I had no issues.

#s3gt_translate_tooltip_mini { display: none !important; }

Old 08-26-2018 | 08:23 AM
Originally Posted by cswlightning
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Ok. They must have changed things on the HR because you cannot leave it connected on the DE.

Old 09-07-2018 | 08:09 PM
I’d like to share my experience because I encountered a problem after cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensors on my 2007 g35s 6 speed. I disconnected the battery, removed the throttle body without disconnecting the connectors, moved the butterfly flap to get a good cleaning, didn’t change the gaskets, put everything back together and the idle was surging between 1600 and 2200 when I started the car. Doing the idle relearn about a hundred times did not help. Even smoke tested the intake for leaks. Connected the OBD scanner at my friends shop and attempted the relearn, however the car was not taking it. Finally went to a Nissan dealer for an ECM reflash and idle relearn. 3 hours and $283 later the problem was fixed. The idle is at 650 now and drives like new. I even stalled the car on my way home from the dealer. So if nothing seems to be helping the idle after cleaning the throttle body, it most likely needs an ECM reflash and idle relearn at the dealership. Hope this helps.

Old 11-19-2018 | 01:30 AM
Stock 2007 G35
Originally Posted by Pete2734
I’d like to share my experience because I encountered a problem after cleaning the throttle body and MAF sensors on my 2007 g35s 6 speed. I disconnected the battery, removed the throttle body without disconnecting the connectors, moved the butterfly flap to get a good cleaning, didn’t change the gaskets, put everything back together and the idle was surging between 1600 and 2200 when I started the car. Doing the idle relearn about a hundred times did not help. Even smoke tested the intake for leaks. Connected the OBD scanner at my friends shop and attempted the relearn, however the car was not taking it. Finally went to a Nissan dealer for an ECM reflash and idle relearn. 3 hours and $283 later the problem was fixed. The idle is at 650 now and drives like new. I even stalled the car on my way home from the dealer. So if nothing seems to be helping the idle after cleaning the throttle body, it most likely needs an ECM reflash and idle relearn at the dealership. Hope this helps.
Now this is interesting, I’m still on day one after cleaning the TBs and MAF senors of my 2007 G35. The whole entire reason WHY I even bothered to cleaned the TBs was because the car was already idling high (bought it used at 122k miles) and after a bit of research it was recommended to clean the throttle bodies to get those low rpms back. After cleaning them and putting everything back together, the car was still idiling high. I took it for a drive. The car was not running properly and the SES light turned on after a few minutes. The car sorta jerked when I pressed and let go of the brakes. It’s kinda hard to describe but I just know it’s not running as it should. I’m a bit eager to try all the relearns I have read BUT theres one thing I have noticed while reading, 07 g35 owners have no luck in the idle relearns. Could it be because the 07 and lower have different instructions on doing a relearn? I mean it’s very similar to a G37. Anyways just spending all night reading all of these guys dealing with all these issues makes me want to not even try and just take it to my local infiniti dealership

Old 11-19-2018 | 08:06 AM
Originally Posted by dave4reason

Now this is interesting, I’m still on day one after cleaning the TBs and MAF senors of my 2007 G35. The whole entire reason WHY I even bothered to cleaned the TBs was because the car was already idling high (bought it used at 122k miles) and after a bit of research it was recommended to clean the throttle bodies to get those low rpms back. After cleaning them and putting everything back together, the car was still idiling high. I took it for a drive. The car was not running properly and the SES light turned on after a few minutes. The car sorta jerked when I pressed and let go of the brakes. It’s kinda hard to describe but I just know it’s not running as it should. I’m a bit eager to try all the relearns I have read BUT theres one thing I have noticed while reading, 07 g35 owners have no luck in the idle relearns. Could it be because the 07 and lower have different instructions on doing a relearn? I mean it’s very similar to a G37. Anyways just spending all night reading all of these guys dealing with all these issues makes me want to not even try and just take it to my local infiniti dealership
How high was your car idling before you did the throttle cleaning? Is the car still idling as high as it was before the throttle cleaning or higher? What code do you get when you scan the car for the SES light?

Seems like you haven’t done the relearn process, which I’d suggest you do because the car isn’t going to learn the new idle by just driving it like other car brands. You might have to play with the relearn process and be patient since all the specifications have to be on point for it to work. In my case I tried the relearn hundreds of times myself, and eventually had to take it to the dealer to do the ECM update and the relearn. Won’t hurt to do the relearn yourself a few times, the worst that can happen is that it won’t work. If it works you’ll save yourself time and money because you won’t have to go to the dealer. If you do end up taking it to the dealer I’d suggest calling a Nissan dealer in your area first since they work on Infiniti’s too and their prices are lower.

I read every post in this thread and haven’t seen anyone complain about the car jerking. I have a jerk as well when I let go off the gas and the RPM’s jump up a little bit while the car jerks. The car jerks more noticeably when in lower gear and at higher RPM’s. At first I thought it was because of the ECM reflash but you didn’t get one and your car jerks too. However, the jerking might be due to faulty/damaged throttle bodies after reading about it on google but I’m not 100% sure.

Good luck with everything I know this is a huge pain in the *** and defintely give an update if you find anything out.

Old 11-19-2018 | 01:03 PM
Could it be because the 07 and lower have different instructions on doing a relearn?
I have an '08 so we have the same engine - VQ35HR. The instructions I've seen didn't differentiate between models or years, in fact, I think the instructions are standardized across most Nissan/Infiniti models. I do have the Field Service Manual for my '08 and it includes "manual" instructions for doing the different relearns and they didn't vary from the ones found all over the internet.

Do you have an Android phone or tablet and an ODBII scanner ? If so, download/install the Nissan Data Scan app (might have to get the paid version) and it includes an "Idle Air Volume Learning" command. Definitely try it the manual way first though. Have someone help you with a timer or stopwatch. You have to wait for different periods of time and "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississipi, etc" won't be accurate enough !

Old 11-19-2018 | 02:06 PM
Stock 2007 G35
Originally Posted by Pete2734

How high was your car idling before you did the throttle cleaning? Is the car still idling as high as it was before the throttle cleaning or higher? What code do you get when you scan the car for the SES light?

Seems like you haven’t done the relearn process, which I’d suggest you do because the car isn’t going to learn the new idle by just driving it like other car brands. You might have to play with the relearn process and be patient since all the specifications have to be on point for it to work. In my case I tried the relearn hundreds of times myself, and eventually had to take it to the dealer to do the ECM update and the relearn. Won’t hurt to do the relearn yourself a few times, the worst that can happen is that it won’t work. If it works you’ll save yourself time and money because you won’t have to go to the dealer. If you do end up taking it to the dealer I’d suggest calling a Nissan dealer in your area first since they work on Infiniti’s too and their prices are lower.

I read every post in this thread and haven’t seen anyone complain about the car jerking. I have a jerk as well when I let go off the gas and the RPM’s jump up a little bit while the car jerks. The car jerks more noticeably when in lower gear and at higher RPM’s. At first I thought it was because of the ECM reflash but you didn’t get one and your car jerks too. However, the jerking might be due to faulty/damaged throttle bodies after reading about it on google but I’m not 100% sure.

Good luck with everything I know this is a huge pain in the *** and defintely give an update if you find anything out.
After more careful examination, I have finally put my finger on the issue. New day, and I warmed up the war and took it for another drive, my issue is the same one you are describing. When I let go off the gas, the car sorta jerks because the rpms bounce low then back up. Again, non of this was happening before I cleaned th throttle bodies. I want to be honest and say that maybe I did damage the TBs. I sprayed them directly with the recommended cleaner, had the battery unplugged, and even moved the butterfly valves a little to get deeper in there. I tried doing the relearn a couple times now and the idle is still high. I’m facr it’s at its highest when the car is in park, as soon as I put it in drive it goes down a bit but never lowers than 1000rpms. Usually the car idlesbetween 1600 and 2100.

Old 11-19-2018 | 02:14 PM
Stock 2007 G35

I have an '08 so we have the same engine - VQ35HR. The instructions I've seen didn't differentiate between models or years, in fact, I think the instructions are standardized across most Nissan/Infiniti models. I do have the Field Service Manual for my '08 and it includes "manual" instructions for doing the different relearns and they didn't vary from the ones found all over the internet.

Do you have an Android phone or tablet and an ODBII scanner ? If so, download/install the Nissan Data Scan app (might have to get the paid version) and it includes an "Idle Air Volume Learning" command. Definitely try it the manual way first though. Have someone help you with a timer or stopwatch. You have to wait for different periods of time and "1-Mississippi, 2-Mississipi, etc" won't be accurate enough !
I just tried doing the relearn a few times using these instructions, seems to me he was doing them with an older model car with no push to start button kinda letting me know they might now work with my 07 g35. I’m going to try it again several more times before I give up. And I don’t have a scanner and I did a bit of research and I’m probably going to buy one the veepeak Vp01. Anyways, I’m going to keep trying and will update if there’s any luck.

Old 11-19-2018 | 02:20 PM
Where are you located ? If the engine is cold and cold temperatures outside, idling at 1500-2000 rpm is not out of the ordinary. In fact, it's completely normal. Let it run and it will decrease the idle speed on it's own after 2, 3, 4 minutes but it should go lower than 1000 rpm. Our model year's idle is 650 rpm +/- 50 rpm. Let it idle for as long as you can and see how low it goes.

When you do any of the relearns, the engine must be warmed up too and at normal idle speed. There are actually a number of prerequisites that must be met before you do these. I don't know all of them from memory but the coolant temperature has to be within a given range, ALL electrical accessories must be OFF (no radio, no HVAC, no lights, etc), battery voltage above a certain value, and even the steering wheel is supposed to be centered. I ran into an oddity that people only refer to with manuals and that is, I had to set the parking brake before it worked.

Old 11-19-2018 | 02:27 PM
I just tried doing the relearn a few times using these instructions, seems to me he was doing them with an older model car with no push to start button kinda letting me know they might now work with my 07 g35. I’m going to try it again several more times before I give up.
The procedure is the same whether it's push-to-start or uses a key. When it says "Turn to key to 'on'", with a PTS, you keep your foot off the brake and press the button twice, and so on.

No offense to whoever posted those instructions, but I believe they have combined 2-3 relearns in one there without separating things. That looks like the accelerator pedal released position process, throttle valve closed process, and the idle air volume learning all run together.

Old 11-19-2018 | 02:30 PM
Here are the instructions that I have:

2008 Infiniti G35

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch to “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle position learning)
(For best accuracy, use a clock or timer)

1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.*
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Confirm that the accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
- Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
- Fully release the accelerator pedal.
7. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
8. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
9. Start engine and let it idle.
10. Wait 20 seconds.

* Coolant temperature must be 158º+, voltage 12.9v+, turn off all accessories (radio, HVAC, lights, etc), parking brake on (?)

Old 11-19-2018 | 03:33 PM
Stock 2007 G35
Here are the instructions that I have:

2008 Infiniti G35

Accelerator Pedal Release Position Learning

1. Make sure that the accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
3. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.
4. Turn ignition switch “ON” and wait at least 2 seconds.
5. Turn ignition switch “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning

1. Make sure that accelerator pedal is fully released.
2. Turn ignition switch to “ON”.
3. Turn ignition switch to “OFF” wait at least 10 seconds.

Make sure that the throttle valve moves during above 10 seconds by confirming the operating sound.

Idle Air Volume Learning (Throttle position learning)
(For best accuracy, use a clock or timer)

1. Perform “Accelerator Pedal Released Position Learning”.
2. Perform “Throttle Valve Closed Position Learning”.
3. Start engine and warm it up to normal operating temperature.*
4. Turn ignition switch “OFF” and wait at least 10 seconds.
5. Confirm that the accelerator pedal is fully released, then turn ignition switch “ON” and wait 3 seconds.
6. Repeat the following (steps 7a, 7b) procedures quickly five times within 5 seconds.
- Fully depress the accelerator pedal (HARD)
- Fully release the accelerator pedal.
7. Wait 7 seconds, fully depress the accelerator pedal and keep it for approx. 20 seconds until the Check Engine Light (CEL) stops blinking and turned ON.
8. Fully release the accelerator pedal within 3 seconds after the CEL is ON.
9. Start engine and let it idle.
10. Wait 20 seconds.

* Coolant temperature must be 158º+, voltage 12.9v+, turn off all accessories (radio, HVAC, lights, etc), parking brake on (?)
Thanks a lot for all these instructions, and I did realize that in those instructions there were a few relearns combined. I tried the idle air volume learning several times and I just can’t get it. I will give it some rest and try it again right now. I know I’m doing it wrong because the SES light starts blinking after like 4-5 seconds after holing the pedal down, which is supposed to be like at 10 seconds, then after 10 more seconds it should stop blinking to then turn the ignition on. However try as I might, I just think I’m not getting the timing correct or something else is up. I’m sure the battery is fine, got it replaced like a few weeks ago, the wheels are straight, elecetricle outputs such as the display and a/c are all
off, I warmed the car up fully and even took it for a drive so the coolant temperature is fine. The rpms never go below 1000 even after letting it sit for a while, it’s like 80 degrees Fahrenheit outside so it can’t be the weather. Did you ever get the Manuel relearn to work? I might just have to take it to a Nissan or Infiniti shop so they could do it for me

Old 11-19-2018 | 04:14 PM
Yes, I have done the manual relearn a few times. It's tricky but certainly doable. When I tried to count off the time, it never worked. When I used the stopwatch app on my phone, I get it to work 75% of the time.

If all it needs is an idle relearn, independent shops can probably do it. I'll bet the IAVL command is built-in to most diagnostic tools/scanners they use. If you really do need an ECU reset or s/w update for the ECU, yeah, only a dealer can do that.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 4.50 average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Clean your throttle bodies