Intake Silencer Removal?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-28-2007, 05:53 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Intake Silencer Removal?

Hey guy's, I was looking at the Airboxes today on my 07 Sedan, And It seems the Air Boxes have a Fender Mounted Silencer! Just like on my Old Honda Accord, If you Remove them they make the car have that Intake Growl! Not Sure if it would make any HP diffrence, Which I doubt, But would make the Car have that Aftermarket Intake Sound without Removing the Factory Air Boxes, and Keep that Ram Air Effect?! Until a real Intake comes out for our Cars? Anyone Willing to try it? I would Try it, but Have no Time, If someone does try it, and it at least gives the motor Deep Growl, I will defiantely make Time! Any Takers?

Old 05-28-2007, 06:21 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I doubt it...

But the resonators under the actual airboxes are HUGE. If you take them off you'll see...

Old 05-29-2007, 11:23 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I took the resonator on my Honda Accord off.

Holy crap, the sound was amazing.

I also put a ghetto cone filter on the stock pipe.

I wouldn't do that with the G35 though.

Old 05-29-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by hyukki
I took the resonator on my Honda Accord off.

Holy crap, the sound was amazing.

I also put a ghetto cone filter on the stock pipe.

I wouldn't do that with the G35 though.

HAHA Yup! Same thing i did, LOL. made me half to fill gas more often, just because i wanted to hear the Noise! LOL. I would just take off the Silencer on the G, and leave the Stock Air Boxes in place.

Old 05-30-2007, 12:23 AM
One big motha...
I'll try it! I'll look into it tomorrow...

Old 05-30-2007, 03:08 AM
Originally Posted by turboale
I'll try it! I'll look into it tomorrow...

Great News Turboale!! Please keep us posted on how it goes, or if it make any diffrent sound? Would love to hear the results!

Old 05-30-2007, 05:10 AM
I was just thinking of replacing the stock filters with some higher flow performance ones like K&N... have you thought of this option for performance? Or are you really wanting that "sound"?

Old 05-30-2007, 06:10 AM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by d12a60n
I was just thinking of replacing the stock filters with some higher flow performance ones like K&N... have you thought of this option for performance? Or are you really wanting that "sound"?
I'm sure there is a way.

If you can, just take off the resonator and then put a drop in filter.

And... I'm sure just putting the drop in filter will give you a little bit of boost... or maybe not, if the hole on the resonator that lets the air in can't suck in enough air for the drop in filter.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:14 AM
One big motha...
Ok... so I'm trying to take the air boxes out to measure the holes for the silencer and I can't seem to figure out how to get the dang clips off that hold the wires for the O2 Sensors... They seem to be some sort of zip tie style clamp but I can't seem to figure out where the release is for them... has anyone else figured this out yet? I'm new to Nissan and their clips...?

Old 05-30-2007, 09:18 AM
One big motha...
Opp, Just figured it out... I got a flashlight and all you need to do is stick a small flat head screw driver into the front of the clip and there is a release for the zip tie style band....

Stay tuned!

Old 05-30-2007, 09:23 AM
Originally Posted by turboale
Opp, Just figured it out... I got a flashlight and all you need to do is stick a small flat head screw driver into the front of the clip and there is a release for the zip tie style band....

Stay tuned!
Well you have to take the whole thing off, and you pull the airbox up you'll see the connection to the resonator/water catch at the bottom. Not sure if you can just plug that or if you have to hack off the tube going down into it, but better you than me for a guinea pig...

Keep us posted.

Old 05-30-2007, 09:47 AM
One big motha...
Update...

I have the three main silencers off and I'm headed off to Home Depot to see what I can find. Lucky for us the tube that connects the silencer to the airbox is removable. I have a couple ideas of how to plug them, the only question is if I'm going to be able to find what I need. It does make it a lot harder that they are hard plastic. On my 4Runner all it took was a few PVC plugs and it was a done deal. I'll post up as I find stuff out...

Also, the way these silencers are placed wouldn't allow them to catch any rain anyway so the safety of our engines should not be compromised in any way...

Old 05-30-2007, 10:47 AM
JMN
What's actually the correct procedure to take out the air box?

Old 05-30-2007, 11:04 AM
Originally Posted by JMN
What's actually the correct procedure to take out the air box?
I did a DIY write-up at g35nyc... it's the bolt at the MAF link, the bolt at the fender (don't mess with the one on the bracket, it's kind of flimsy), then pull the rubber sleeve back and you pull straight up.

The box (and MAF) should come up with no issues, but you should obviously be careful that you don't bang it on anything...

You'll find some resistance at first because the tube going down to the resonator fits snug, but it comes out. Fitting it back you just line up the resting points, the resonator tube and the front inlet and push down.

Old 05-30-2007, 11:25 AM
JMN
Thank you very much!

I was looking at the airfilters and noticed that the BMC might have one for us: http://www.bmcairfilters.com/ - (Nissan/Skyline gives 315hp version so I assume it's the 07 G35)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Silencer Removal?