Best exhaust for G35 - what's your opinion?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-30-2008, 07:58 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best exhaust for G35 - what's your opinion?

Ok I understand there is a ton of exhaust threads and yes I am new here to this forum. I used to belong to the infinitifx.org site but my Fx was recently destroyed in a car crash (some idiot woman cut me off on the highway and hit the brakes real hard in an attempt to make an exit and I couldn't stop in time while it was raining). I'm more then likely (99% sure) going to be purchasing the G35xS but I'm not the biggest fan of the quieter exhaust system.

I had an 05 FX35 and that thing had the best growl. I loved the sound it made from the start of the ignition, idle speeds and high RPMs. IMO nothing could compare to it and I am still very fond of that sound. It wasn't too too loud but it was real crisp (not raspy - hate those raspy kits), attention grabbing and mean at the same time.

Basically - I want that in my g35. What can I do (or purchase) to re-create that sound as best as possible. Obviously from the description I gave I just want something louder then this, crisp and real pleasant to listen to.

Any suggestions for me for when I purchase the g35?

Thanks guys.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:03 PM
Received 1,133 Likes on 1,003 Posts
Another New Question....?

You want an opinion, there have been hundreds of posts on the same question....Search is your friend, anything you need to know about the G35
will be listed there....enjoy!

Old 04-30-2008, 08:11 PM
Yes, I understand that and have done the research but I'm looking for a straight forward answer that pertains to the specifics I've posted. Some people have installed complete exhaust systems for a type of sound they want and some people installed new piping (or something along those lines). All produce a very different sound. You guys are the experts though, not me which is why I posted that question with those specifics. So, hopefully someone can help me here.

Hearing clips isn't exactly enough justice for me to get a new exhaust system. I don't have much money to throw around on a clip I heard on the internet. I'm looking for people who have heard these exhaust systems or whatever and can compare it to the sound I'm looking for so I can base my decision.

Again, any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

Old 04-30-2008, 08:15 PM
you will never get a straight forward answer only because everyone has a different opinion

however from what I hear...there arent a big selection of exhausts for the sedan. None of them will get you close to the FX exhaust you are looking for.

however alot will tell you Stillen or HKS

Old 04-30-2008, 08:17 PM
stillen?

Sup man. i have a 07 G sedan and I put on the Stillen dual exhaust. I love the sound. It's louder but now too loud. Its the full catback system. It doesn't quite sound like the FX or coupe tone, but I like it and so does everyone else who hears it. I also added the stillen long tube intakes and it sounds even better. Now I know you're all about tone... its pretty deep; not loud and irritating. if you go on youtube and search stillen dual exhaust for 07 g35, the tone you hear there is pretty much how it sounds. find the one with the red g revving his exhaust. k man good luck

Old 04-30-2008, 08:24 PM
I figured it would be difficult to replicate the tone of those two cars. Thanks for the suggestions guys I'll check them out. Now I know I can search this but I already have this thread going so let me just ask.

How much would it cost just to do the Stillen intake? And how much would it cost for the entire setup?

Old 04-30-2008, 10:26 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
this is how i see it... IMO

#1 Fujitsubo (not in U.S)
#2 F.I
#3 Blitz (not in U.S)
-- pretty much random --
#4 Stillen
#5 Impul
#6 KenStyle
#7 HKS
#8 5zigen (not in U.S)

Old 04-30-2008, 11:59 PM
Just got my stillen exhaust put on. Its actually quite quiet. At highway speeds, around 65mph, there is barely any sound!

Old 05-01-2008, 12:58 AM
Thank you for all your posts so far. You've helped me really narrow some options and helped me specify exactly what I need to be researching.

From what I've been reading the past few hours, it seems as if a new intake is the right solution for me. I found pricing for a full exhaust system and I can't afford that but an intake I can afford. An intake seems good mainly for sound which is exactly what I want.

However, I've read a lot of people complaining about lack of heatshields and intakes such as Fujita's sucking up warm air instead of cold air. Now most of my driving is going to be accelerating to about 4-5rpms so low end horsepower and low end torque is important to me. I understand that I may lose some power with these intakes in the low end.

With that said here are my two questions now that I couldn't get a good consistent answer for when I researched:

1. Will the warm air damage my engine in anyway in the longrun or will that side of the story be completely negligible? I live in an area that sees warm weather for maybe about 3-4 months (normally 80-85degrees) and the rest is cold weather.

2. Will I really lose any significant (by significant I mean noticeable) HP and torque in the low end or can this be dismissed as unnoticeable and negligible also?

Old 05-01-2008, 09:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
you can't get the same sound from 2 different engines, just not gunna happen.
the vqhr is said to be almost %80 different the the previous motos that infiniti has put out.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:20 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'd say just go with the FX50! Should be something louder than your old FX, crisp, and real pleassant to listen to. It comes in a V6 (FX35) and a V8 (FX50). If not, then either the Stillen or FI exhaust should do you justice for your sited reasons above.

Old 05-01-2008, 09:26 AM
you want my opinion. Get the Stillen. That is based because i own one and im measuring my satisfaction. I have not owned anyother exhaust there for i cant really judge the competition.

Looks 9/10
Sound 8.5/10
Satisfaction 10/10
Install/Fitment 10/10

Old 05-01-2008, 10:18 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
well said UltimateGee27: I also agree with you.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:49 AM
Originally Posted by Thrillryder23
Thank you for all your posts so far. You've helped me really narrow some options and helped me specify exactly what I need to be researching.

From what I've been reading the past few hours, it seems as if a new intake is the right solution for me. I found pricing for a full exhaust system and I can't afford that but an intake I can afford. An intake seems good mainly for sound which is exactly what I want.

However, I've read a lot of people complaining about lack of heatshields and intakes such as Fujita's sucking up warm air instead of cold air. Now most of my driving is going to be accelerating to about 4-5rpms so low end horsepower and low end torque is important to me. I understand that I may lose some power with these intakes in the low end.

With that said here are my two questions now that I couldn't get a good consistent answer for when I researched:

1. Will the warm air damage my engine in anyway in the longrun or will that side of the story be completely negligible? I live in an area that sees warm weather for maybe about 3-4 months (normally 80-85degrees) and the rest is cold weather.

2. Will I really lose any significant (by significant I mean noticeable) HP and torque in the low end or can this be dismissed as unnoticeable and negligible also?
This has been a long ongoing argument with alot of people. A couple of years back, someone actually took the time to take temperatures of the air as it crossed into the intake manifold on a 5th Gen Maxima VQ35DE. Both WAI's and CAI's from many different manufacturers were tested and the results were conclusive. CAI's produced the same approximate temperatures going into the intake manifold as did WAI's. Mainly because of heat buildup in the tubing of the CAI's. According to the dyno's, the CAI's produced more low end hp/tq numbers, but the cars tended to run out of steam higher up on the rpm band. WAI's had the exact opposite effect, producing higher hp/tq numbers higher in the rpm band, but losing some low end hp/tq numbers.

With regard to your question about warm air possibly damaging the engine. It will not damage the engine. I've never liked CAI's for one reason: there is always the possibility no matter how slight it is, for water to cause damage to the engine. Of less concern is CAI's filters get dirty quick in comparison to WAI's. The Stillen long tube intakes are a nice medium, but frankly I find the pricing absurd.

Old 05-01-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally Posted by Virus
This has been a long ongoing argument with alot of people. A couple of years back, someone actually took the time to take temperatures of the air as it crossed into the intake manifold on a 5th Gen Maxima VQ35DE. Both WAI's and CAI's from many different manufacturers were tested and the results were conclusive. CAI's produced the same approximate temperatures going into the intake manifold as did WAI's. Mainly because of heat buildup in the tubing of the CAI's. According to the dyno's, the CAI's produced more low end hp/tq numbers, but the cars tended to run out of steam higher up on the rpm band. WAI's had the exact opposite effect, producing higher hp/tq numbers higher in the rpm band, but losing some low end hp/tq numbers.

With regard to your question about warm air possibly damaging the engine. It will not damage the engine. I've never liked CAI's for one reason: there is always the possibility no matter how slight it is, for water to cause damage to the engine. Of less concern is CAI's filters get dirty quick in comparison to WAI's. The Stillen long tube intakes are a nice medium, but frankly I find the pricing absurd.
The pricing isn't the best but I do have that exact extra cash to throw around and would not be upset throwing it into this. Thank you for your response to my question I appreciate it.

However, would that loss in power be noticeable at all or is just something you can see on a spreadsheet?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Best exhaust for G35 - what's your opinion?