Intake Interior Noise - normal driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 08:22 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Intake Interior Noise - normal driving

Looking at possibly getting a CAI. I've read all the threads and posts regarding CAIs but I still have one question. I'm considering the Stillen and Injen. I like the filter location, easier access of the Stillen but like the track record of Injen and it seems people are more confident in their claims.

Under normal driving conditions, low to mid rpm cruising and such, is the engine a lot louder or more audible inside the car? Also, is there also a noticeable drop in lower rpm response and power, as that's where my exhaust drone is and if there's a noticeable difference, it would in effect cause the drone to get worse as the car would need more input to accelerate out of it.

I've been wearing YouTube out and have gotten a few ideas but want first hand accounts. Thanks.

Old 07-19-2008, 12:51 AM
trying to talk myself into the Injen, just don't want to raise noise levels in the cabin up much more than they already are.

Old 07-19-2008, 01:40 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i think that injen might be a tiny bit quieter INSIDE of the car as unlike others it sits in the enclosed space near the bumper which is further form the cabin than others... my $0.02 could be wrong

Old 07-19-2008, 10:34 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by sredish
trying to talk myself into the Injen.
Will you install it yourself?
The only thing that has me hesitating is the thought of tearing apart the front end.
I'm happy with doing 90% of my own work and didn't blink an eye at installing my paddles, but for some reason, ripping off the front bumper makes me a little queasy.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:41 AM
you have to pull the bumper? i haven't heard much about the install, I just figured it would slip down in there some. I'm not afraid really of pulling anything off, its just a matter of how much work I feel like doing.

Old 07-19-2008, 02:09 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
HMm Let me chime in here a little. I had the STILENs on my car. and it's ease of Install is one of the benifits of thier kit! I think's it's one of the best kit's out, since it has like a Semi-sealed box for the Filter. to keep most hot air away, and it fits right over the Factory Grille Duct, that directs air right into the FIlters!

Now the INJEN. Which I installed myself last week. Is a little harder to Install. But you Don't half to take out the Bumper! You can go through the Wheel wells, you just half to take off the fender liners, and you do the Install that way. As for the sound of both, well it's pretty quiet under normall driving. you hardy hear them, unitll you really get on it, then you will hear something. I say you will still hear the exhaust more than with the Intakes. Hope this Info helps some.

Old 07-19-2008, 08:57 PM
808, how did they compare? thanks for the insight on that. i'm very close to pulling the trigger on the stillens. i just don't want to hassle with it more than I have to and the stillens look pretty painless.

Old 07-19-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
get the stillen, better proven gains.. cold air intakes are said to lose power (though I have an AEM CAI) the stillen has a good heat shield and will give it a growl. neither you can hear during normal driving, you can only hear them once you get on it about 3800+rpms I think it's more responsive as more air is getting in, so idk what you're worrying about

Old 07-19-2008, 10:08 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Interesting.... Good to know that the Injen can be installed with just the removal of the fender liners.

You may also want to mention that the kit comes with a smaller windshield washer reservoir as well as a bracket to relocate the horn.

That's why I was asking if you planned to install yourself.
Sounds like a PIA to install.

Old 07-19-2008, 10:18 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
haha yea! forgot about the Washer Bottle! it comes with a smaller one, And that was the MOST PITA part to install in the whole kit! as some scews are very close to the front bumper, but you can get in there. if your good with tools! and I harldy nor have I ever used the Washer fluid anyway! not one since I had my G. I was not going to install it, but with my luck the time i need it it won't be there, LOL. and yea there is no real proven gains with either Stillen or INJEN. as some reports say the Stillen Lost power! and no one with a "BONE STOCK G" has done a dyno yet with the Injen's! so can't really say anything about gains! But I do notice that the Injens Pull alot harder from 3500-Redline than the Stillens i had on! Thats definatley feelable!

Old 07-19-2008, 11:45 PM
hmm, interesting report on the Injens Mike. Blueslate did some dyno stuff with them I think and I saw a dyno at Technosquare with that intake also.

Old 07-20-2008, 12:19 AM
sredish i would rather go with the JWT checkout myg37.com it has dynoed upto 10hp gain. Better than stillen, sound and performance wise....

Old 07-20-2008, 10:44 AM
I was just about to say to kool_yaar that I didn't think the JWT was going to offer our sedan anything until later this year, from reports I've heard. But decided to search their site before hand and now it's showing the G37 intake as a "G37 / 07+ G35 sedan" part.

So, I guess the JWT Popcharger is officially available for our cars, and I'm going to go with that one. Plus, it's priced at only $395, rather than the nearly $500 of the others, and no washer bottle replacement and bumper removal... lol

Originally Posted by JWT website
2007 G35(HR)/G37 DUAL POP-CHARGER INTAKE SYSTEM In 2007 Nissan drastically improved the VQ35 intake system by adding an extra throttle, so the question was, is there any room for improvement? After a full year of testing JWT got the answer, "YES", but only with the most efficient Pop-Charger Venturi inlets and hood-sealed heat shields. In addition to a 6.5 to10 WHP improvement, the tone of the engine due to the dual 6” venturis is definitely the most beautiful sound ever heard from a VQ engine!

Installation Instructions: http://www.jimwolftechnology.com/wol...POPINSTALL.pdf

If that dyno is consistent, it's pretty good looking. Look at the gains at the rev limiter... and the 5k to 6k range, lots of new meat right in the peak of the torque.

Old 07-20-2008, 03:01 PM
My JWT Popcharger order has been sent. They're having lots of good feedback with them on MyG37 as kool yaar brought up.

Old 07-20-2008, 11:30 PM
^ Congrats man, i have put together $300 myself for this waiting to save up another $100 and im ordering this as well within the next month. Keep us posted with some vids and pics

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Intake Interior Noise - normal driving