Borla Exhaust Questions...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2008, 12:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sredish
X Pipe -
I thought you were contemplating going H-pipe?

Old 08-08-2008, 07:40 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Borla installed on my 2007 6MT

Real quick: i got the cat-back exhaust rather quickly after ordering from fixthisride.com. Did a quick inventory--everything there and well packaged in the box. Removal of stock exhaust--uneventful with penetrating lube and breaker bar. Problem 1 with Borla: spacing between holes in the flanges that mates with stock cats were about 2mm too wide. There is no way the bolts (pressed in on the cat side and fixed in position) would fit. I had to dremel the eyelets which was no fun at all. I proceeded to fit together the slip-joints and tighted up the cat nuts. I noticed the right muffler tip was protruding about a 1/2 inch further than the left--this after tapping all the segments to get a nice fit. I remedied this by leaving some extra space on the last left slip joint--no leak so I think I'm good. At least the slip-joint overlap allows for some fine tuning in spacing.

Sound: nice, deep sound at take off--moderate in volume but not excessive. Higher pitched hum at part throttle. minimal noise when cruising at fixed speed--no drone on the highway.
Performance: I cannot tell.

I haven't driven around much after install so this is just my preliminary eval. So far I am pleased. The stock exhaust is way too quiet. This makes a nice sound when starting from a stop and when you get on it, but is relatively quiet otherwise. Aside from the flange hole spacing, I think this is a good exhaust. Of course, I bought this before FI's big sale announcement--their pricing and good feedback make that hard to refuse.

Last edited by mishmosh; 08-08-2008 at 07:45 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ thanks fo rthe update i was about to order mine tomorrow but after reading about the misalignment with the cats i would have reconsider or contact BORLA first as i want a direct bolt on with no modification to stock.
Nice to hear about the sound and im sure you have gained reasonable power give it some time to settle. But for me i better get to work by starting to email these guys and find out whats going on. Thanks again!!

EDIT: PM'd David from Borla with the issue lets see what he has to say...

Last edited by kool_yaar; 08-08-2008 at 10:48 PM.
Old 08-09-2008, 09:07 AM
Yeah, I was bummed about the flange holes. If the cat bolts weren't fixed, it may not have been a problem. It took quite a few mini die-grinder bits and dremel grinder bits to do all 4 holes--that metal is tough!

I have not heard the other G exhausts in person, but comparing to my WRX, the Borla is relatively quiet--appropriate for luxury-sport that the G35 is. It actually helps me modulate the throttle better when shifting because I can hear what the engine is doing.

Old 08-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Hey mishmosh, after attempting to contact a few ppl linked to borla and getting no response yet, i searched and found this official pdf for the install, and in this according to the instructions and the pics it seems to be a direct bolt on, are you sure you got all the right part#.(im sure it is as it fitted but still just checking it should be part#140270)

Borla Install Guide

Let me know if this is correct, thanks

Old 08-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
are you sure you got all the right part#.(im sure it is as it fitted but still just checking it should be part#140270)
Yeah, it says the part number on the box and they also include that pdf install instructions. I have not doubt that the kit is the right one. Not sure why the bolt spacing was just a little off, unless there was a slight change for 2008 models.

Old 08-13-2008, 06:53 PM
Just an addendum: I had to make adjustments to the clamps because the exhaust was stilling a little too high and the exhaust hanger was banging. I think part of this is because the muffler section of the exhaust on the right side sits too far rearward, causing all the hangers to be tilted back, cutting down on how low they sit. The piping was also rubbing against the sway bar. I had to stick the left muffler out to match the right so the same thing happens on the right. There is no way to move the right muffler forward--all pipes before it were pushed in all the way. Basically, the muffler tips stick out past the bumper way more than any other cat-back that I have seen for the G. I might have to get a set of longer exhaust hangers to fix this.

Overall: I have to say fitment (including the two flange holes) is not very good. It could be that 2008 models might be slightly different than 2007? The system does not specifically say it's for the MY2007 G35 sedans.

Old 08-14-2008, 12:54 AM
Interesting, however i doubt HIGHLY that theirs any difference in 07->08 in the exhaust that does not make financial or service sense from infiniti, im pretty sure they are the same as other catbacks fit on both years the same.

However while reading the PDF i did notice how it says the exhaust is made for A/T Vehicles and u have mtMT, now that MIGHT have something to do with the fitment though i again doubt it as other catbacks fit fine... but still maybe....

Old 08-21-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Got a video? Lets here that thing!

Old 10-25-2008, 07:45 PM
Originally Posted by GeoffsG35
Got a video? Lets here that thing!
Finally got around to it. Here's a short clip:

Old 10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Good clip but do you have a drice by or in cabin note. The exhaust wil lsound different under load Thanx Man..

Old 10-27-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by ANMVQ
Good clip but do you have a drice by or in cabin note. The exhaust wil lsound different under load Thanx Man..
Yeah, that's true. But it took me several weeks to get the neutral revving video :0(
It sounds better in motion...not unlike the FI exhaust, at least from what I can tell in others' clips--not too loud but loud enough.

Old 01-22-2009, 10:29 PM
does anybody know how this exhaust will sound with HFC? the video posted is without HFC, and it sounds great, but im scared it'll be too loud with HFC.. what do you guys think? any videos?

Old 01-23-2009, 12:13 AM
id guess id be pretty loud and might cause drone but mishmosh can better answer this.

Old 01-23-2009, 12:33 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
id guess id be pretty loud and might cause drone but mishmosh can better answer this.
i have heard the g37 coupe with HFC and borla exhaust, and it sounds ok. kind of raspy, but not too bad. plus the guy said his db level didn't even hit 93db, so thats also a great sign. and sedan versions of exhausts are always quieter, and borla does say that the sedan version has 2 resonators to make the exhaust quieter, so i think it really might not be too loud at all, but of course i won't know for sure without at least a vid clip. i sent an email to chris h at borla, so hopefully he can give me a few answers. if anyone is interested i'll post wat he has to say. and if mishmosh can give his input that would help..

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Borla Exhaust Questions...