Stock exhaust vs Aftermarket exhaust experience and thoughts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2008 | 09:41 AM
I just installed my stillen catback exhaust a couple of days ago.
I still have to post my new install with a write up, but from what i can tell i have lost NO power on LOW or HIGH end. I also have the Dual Injen CAI setup and when i get on it and let it rip WOW. It makes me a little teary eyed - my baby is growing up!!!

Old 12-11-2008 | 10:24 AM
i feel no loss in power in any range of the powerband...i only felt this with the injen cai, but even with the injen cai, i felt more mid-high power so it made up for it

Old 12-11-2008 | 01:53 PM
Had a Stillen Cat Back installed the other day, I also feel as though I need to give it more gas when starting from a stop, feels like it lost a little torque but I love the new sound

Old 12-12-2008 | 09:44 AM
Originally Posted by Csquared
Hmm, you see cars from the factory are tuned for ppl that drive it and don't really care about performance(unlike us) therefore the companies tune the cars so that suspension is softer, there is more low end torque and quieter cabins to please them all at the same time sacrificing performance. So i'm guessing to increase performance you lose some creature comforts. In your case you have have a high reving, more torque and hp up top but now you have to work for it!
ever driven a 3 serries?

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:35 AM
what about the 3s? they are fast but cost too much lol.

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:39 AM
you mentioned that factories like to tune cars to have low end torque to please the non-performance oriented comsumer. The 335 has 300 lb-ft @ 1400!!! rpm <- that's power....and it's pretty quiet too.

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:59 AM
Wes, what you are experiencing is normal and quite common. On our cars the OEM exhaust is great for normal everyday street driving. When you open a system up and create less back pressure you will lose a bit of bottom/mid range punch, but you do gain on the high RPMs. If you keep your car in the high rpm range a lot you will benefit but for normal driving you lose a bit.
Our cars would be nice with a bit more growl though.

Old 12-12-2008 | 11:03 AM
Yes but the 335 us a turbo car. So low end torque but my friend has a 335 the sedans also have y pipes which restric the exhaust sir it to be quieter. Most owners change that to an x pipe which is more ideal for a turbo car. So the factory has sacrificed some performance for some more comfort.

Old 12-12-2008 | 10:32 PM
|
Originally Posted by GEE35X
Wes, what you are experiencing is normal and quite common. On our cars the OEM exhaust is great for normal everyday street driving. When you open a system up and create less back pressure you will lose a bit of bottom/mid range punch, but you do gain on the high RPMs. If you keep your car in the high rpm range a lot you will benefit but for normal driving you lose a bit.
Our cars would be nice with a bit more growl though.
I miss the mid range punch

I feel like, when I rev it, it tends to always want to downshift and start climbing the rev like a beast instead of having usable power like the stock one had.

I guess you cant "have it all". At least with my current set up I dont.

My car has TOO much growl Wayne. LOL

Old 12-12-2008 | 11:14 PM
Hmm.... Maybe it's just the feeling, do you think maybe you traded up torque for Hp? Because cars with low torque but high hp means it accelerates quick but you just don't feel it. So maybe you have less torque in the mid range but more hp so it revs like crazy, so you are gaining more speed but you're just not feeling it? No idea. Just a thought.

Old 12-12-2008 | 11:54 PM
I noticed the difference when I changed my exhaust from an Injen to a Borla. I went from the XO2 to the Injen I noticed with the Injen the car had more pick up. Then after I put the Borla on the car seemed to have a little more power. For example: I have a auto and with the Injen the shift from 1st to 2nd I didn't get wheel spin. Now with the Borla the tires spin a bit after it hits 2nd. I do think that this is due to the increased back pressure of the Borla system.

Old 12-13-2008 | 12:10 AM
Well the Stillen still uses the Y-pipe design while FI uses the X-Pipe so there will be a differnce in the two exhausts....

Old 12-13-2008 | 01:44 AM
|
Hmm.... Maybe it's just the feeling, do you think maybe you traded up torque for Hp? Because cars with low torque but high hp means it accelerates quick but you just don't feel it. So maybe you have less torque in the mid range but more hp so it revs like crazy, so you are gaining more speed but you're just not feeling it? No idea. Just a thought.
Interesting thought. I actually have no idea neither. But if that is the case, that makes me feel better. haha

I would love to test drive a G with an F1 exhaust to see the difference with the x and the y pipe business.

Old 12-13-2008 | 01:50 AM
I might be going with an H pipe!!

Oh and to prove my theory, try this, get into an RX 8, Floor it, you think you're not moving but you stare at the speed and you'll be at like 80 without know, then get into a diesel car (they tend to have tonnes of torque but low hp) floor that, you think you're going really fast because you're head is pushed into the headrest, look down and you're going like 40. hahaha.

Old 01-08-2009 | 11:25 AM
I might be going with an H pipe!!

Oh and to prove my theory, try this, get into an RX 8, Floor it, you think you're not moving but you stare at the speed and you'll be at like 80 without know, then get into a diesel car (they tend to have tonnes of torque but low hp) floor that, you think you're going really fast because you're head is pushed into the headrest, look down and you're going like 40. hahaha.
Interesting observation! Why is that?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stock exhaust vs Aftermarket exhaust experience and thoughts