Driver sport mode stuck - won't shift up or down

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 08:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I bought the car in march of 08 installed the paddles in June, the problem happened for the first time in December of 08. Had everything rectified in march of 09.

Here is a picture of the old shifter unit "The one that went bad" that the dealer gave me back.

The top is the long silver pole with the white shifter button at the top. The angled metal piece at the bottom connects to the transmission unit. There is a white box on the shifter unit that the dealer said burnt-out, this is where my problem happened at.

I had the same problem you had (RowanBuds) but later it was the opposite. If I used it in DS mode it would stick there but then it later stuck in D mode. You are totally correct when you say if you powered the car on and then off real quick it would still happen but after a period of time it would not happen again. . . . . To me this sounds like a short or a faulty part going bad. Plain and simple I think there is a design flaw with the unit. Needless to say since I installed the paddles myself and this happened I got charged for a new unit. In your case it would be an issue though. I have had several people PM me and tell me this happened to them too and they didn't have the paddles and or had the paddles as a stock option. In the notes from the Infiniti dealer it said replaced driver shifter unit. Customer states that shifter will not go into DS mode intermittently.

Like I said in the previous posts it got worse over time and eventually it would fail after a couple minutes of shifting up and down. I have not installed the paddles since then but plan on having the dealer install them when I go in for my next service. According to them everything is back to stock now and if the problem happens again they will warranty it as if it were their problem.

Good luck and post up what happens or what they replace when you take it in.

Thanks!

Attached Thumbnails Driver sport mode stuck - won't shift up or down-shifterunit.jpg  
Old 03-14-2010, 03:37 AM
Did they happen to give you the part number for that piece/switch that went bad? I figure it could be beneficial to those of us without a warranty (over 60k mi) who will be replacing it ourselves if it should fail...

Thanks.

Old 05-15-2011, 07:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Hi everyone,
It's been a while since anyone has posted anything about this but last night I had the same issue and I eventually had to park the car and leave. Once I came back the issue was gone and never popped back up. I'm sure it will happen again and what makes me curious is if the dealer will consider this as an issue that can be covered even if I have passed my bumper to bumper warranty. The shifter was replaced once a couple of months back because the shifter button would get stuck. The car is still under warranty for engine and tranny issues.
Any updates?
Mike

Old 05-15-2011, 08:41 PM
Re

Hey man, i had the shifter replaced three times, the last time they finally figured out it was a switch or bad relay switch i cant remember the exact cause but it wasnt the shifter module....... I wish i kept the paperwork but from all the research i did it all came down to a simPle fix

Hope this helps

Originally Posted by G3065
Hi everyone,
It's been a while since anyone has posted anything about this but last night I had the same issue and I eventually had to park the car and leave. Once I came back the issue was gone and never popped back up. I'm sure it will happen again and what makes me curious is if the dealer will consider this as an issue that can be covered even if I have passed my bumper to bumper warranty. The shifter was replaced once a couple of months back because the shifter button would get stuck. The car is still under warranty for engine and tranny issues.
Any updates?
Mike

Old 06-09-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
Thanks for the response brotha... Yeah I actually took it in immediately when it happened again without appointment. It took a day for them to fix the issue with no cost to me even though my general warranty had expired. They said the issue was electrical and the shifter assemb needed to be replaced. They were really helpful almost as much asyou guys .

Old 06-19-2011, 09:23 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have this same problem at 75k miles....thanks for posting this info

Old 06-19-2011, 10:36 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
I'll post the part number of the part they replaced for my car later

Old 06-28-2011, 01:32 PM
any update on the part number?

HOlmes

Old 06-28-2011, 09:27 PM
I posted it in the other similar thread

Old 06-29-2011, 01:05 AM
From my recent service:

"device assy-transmis 34901-JK60C," "replaced shifter assembly"

Old 07-13-2011, 12:18 PM
Originally Posted by E-Ticket Ride
From my recent service:

"device assy-transmis 34901-JK60C," "replaced shifter assembly"
i'm confused reading this thread if i now need my shifter assembly replaced or not...it seemed like the other guy in this thread said it was an easy fix.....shifter assembly sounds expensive if i get the stealership to do it.

Old 07-13-2011, 01:13 PM
Look up that part number in the FSM and see if it's something you can do yourself or not.

Old 07-17-2011, 10:47 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Got my dealer to replace this. Along with many other things. Repost but FYI

Took my car in for a bunch of little problems the other day and got it back 2 days later from Grubbs on Airport. Told my service guy all of the problems I'd been having:
Steering wheel cracking/ warping
front left and right door trip chipping
manual shifter not downshifting in d/s mode
windows squeaking and rolling down slowly
headlights foggy
right door speaker rattle

here's what they did for me, it speaks for itself:

I've only had to take my car in for service a couple of times, but when I do Grubbs always takes care of me. No hassle or questions asked. +1 for them.
sam

Old 06-05-2012, 02:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
So... Is it the shift assy or a relay? Mine just started doing this.

Old 06-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by Viet2100
So... Is it the shift assy or a relay? Mine just started doing this.
It comes together as a complete shifter assembly.