So... my serpentine belt gave out.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-18-2010, 09:44 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by miltoda
i had both belts replaced at the dealer at 53k miles. They said it had some deep cracks in it. It was only 109 with parts and labor. (20 bucks for the belt, and 1 hr of labor). I had a coupon for 19.99 oil/filter change and tire rotation so I didn't complain too much.
You have a 2006; 2007+ has only ONE belt

Old 01-18-2010, 10:04 PM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by 2008G35XSinMD
Really? Usually its a wear and tear item. Which dealer did the belt replacement?
Sorry Im late but it was IOA. That is the only dealer I will go to around here.

Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM
Originally Posted by treacherous
My belt is in such good shape... I'll just keep an eye on it. I can't even spot one crack in it.
At 29K it would be too early for it to be changed (OP's gave out at 61K). I didn't see any on mine either but then I was at 40K+ with a lot of stop-n-go commuting and wanted to err on the side of caution.

Old 03-18-2010, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have 98k miles on my 2004 and both my belts just snapped yesterday. This is my first time replacing the belts. Weird that both snapped at the same time. My local dealer (15 miles away) Miller Infiniti in Van Nuys, CA wants $205 for parts, labor, and tax.

I'm thinking of doing it myself because I found this link > How to replace the drive belt in an Infiniti G35

But now I'm thinking of taking it to a local shop within AAA towing distance called Operation Z in Northridge, CA (Yelp link), but I can't find any reviews/comments on the place. Why is it difficult to find a good, reputable local mechanic?

I'm leaning towards testing the waters with Operation Z because I'm lazy. Any input?

Old 05-17-2010, 06:16 AM
Well my belt broke for the second time. I posted earlier in this thread the first time it went out at under 30,000 miles. This time it broke on me at just under 69,000. Lucky me i was driving on the 405 when it happened.

Infiniti roadside assistance had my car towed to the nearest dealer. The dealer said the belt replacement is normally around 200 dollars, but they gave me a discount and replaced it for around 120 dollars.

So it looks like on this car you need to replace your belts around 30,000 miles.

By the way i drive a 2007 G35 Sedan, and i drive a lot on the freeways (over 200 miles every week)

-ernie

Old 07-16-2010, 02:46 PM
Received 18 Likes on 18 Posts
Wes houston Infiniti reccomends it no earlier that 60k. they say unless its damaged its pointless. same with the coolant and diff fluid

Old 03-25-2011, 01:47 PM
G35 Sedan RWD
Originally Posted by treacherous
I did this job this morning. Not too hard. I had to goto Lowes to pick up a 1/2" breaker bar to retract the drive belt auto tensioner. You really need this. There really isn't space for anything else between the tensioner and one of the radiator fans. Having this tool makes it a breeze.

Some suggestions to make this job easier:

-Put the car up on ramps and remove the bottom splash shield

-Use an electric screwdriver with a socket attachment to remove all the 10mm bolts that hold the splash shield onto the bottom of the car

-Remove two 10mm bolts that hold coolant recovery bottle in place. Crawl under car and pull out the overflow tub from their plastic holders. Put off to the side.

-Get yourself a 1/2" breaker bar

-Have the factory service manual handy so you know how the belt is routed. Or take pictures for future reference

-3/16 hex/allen wrench to put into the slot in tensioner pulley to hold it back after taking tension off of belt. Either have an assistant on top put the tool in hole or do it yourself from the bottom of the car.

-Last pulley to put belt on ---> Idler pulley to the left of the AC compressor.

Since I had to get the breaker bar this job took me about 2 hours. I changed the oil this morning as well. It would be an easy 30 minute job if I pushed myself in the future.

Now onto my 2002 Maxima with stock belt. No auto-tensioner there and a PIA power steering belt that is separate.
how many bolts for bottom splash shield? I replaced mine because it has two holes on it but i noticed it was a lot of screw hole that has no bolt on it. I read somewhere that it supposed to have 24 10mm bolts?

did you use OEM belt or dayco?

Old 03-30-2011, 12:21 AM
I've got to check this belt out tomorrow.. Thanks for the heads up

Old 01-21-2019, 08:18 PM
07 g35x
Originally Posted by hyukki
Well I was out of town for work and the BRAKE light and the battery indicator lit up all of a sudden. I could barely turn the steering wheel but I managed to turn into a parking lot and looked under the hood (it was already popped opened ) and voila, bits of the belt everywhere.

The good part is that I called the Roadside Assistance and they were very nice and polite. They took me to the nearest Infiniti dealership and dropped my car off.

The bad part is that car is at the dealership and they quoted me 155~ dollars for the belt. They said they'd inspect to see if there is any other damage but if there is, it MIGHT not be covered by warranty because I'm at 63.1k.

The thing that is kinda bothering me is that I got an oil change at Nissan the other day and they do a multi-point inspection every time I go in. They checked the green box for the drive belt meaning it was okay. I did do the 30k mile service at the same Nissan dealership but I just skimped out on the 60k service since they claim to inspect the car and its parts. I'm not sure if I should be upset at Nissan or not. I SHOULD be mad since I've been paying them to see if there's anything I should be worried about but I shouldn't be since I trusted the "stealership" in the first place... oh well the rant is over.

I just wanted to give you guys a warning to check your serpentine belt regularly to avoid ruining your day.

PS: My friend's FX had to replace the serpentine belt twice so far.

Cliffs: Serpentine belt broke. Dealer quoted 150+ dollars for the belt.
my original belt just went off 2007 g35x

Old 01-22-2019, 10:25 AM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Mine lasted ~110k miles

Old 01-22-2019, 10:55 AM
07 g35x
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Mine lasted ~110k miles
mine lasted 210k

Old 01-29-2019, 07:26 AM
Received 32 Likes on 31 Posts
G35x Base
Mine is at 143k. I looked it over before i bought the car in november. I'll be checking it every oil change too.

Old 01-29-2019, 08:32 AM
Received 123 Likes on 107 Posts
I replaced mine at 120k because they were like $10 and basically the whole car stops working when they break... Now there's a spare in my trunk just in case. Now at 132k, still on original AC belt.

Old 01-29-2019, 10:51 AM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
And there are folks who insist that they must be changed every 30k miles ! Yes, Infiniti does say to change it at every 30k miles under their "Premium" service (and this level isn't based on driving conditions either) but that doesn't mean it needs changed. It's just preventative maintenance. They could say to replace the battery every 2 years too and there's no harm in doing that either. I'm sure other years are the same but for the 2008 maintenance guide, Infiniti has no service interval for inspecting or replacing this belt except under the Premium service schedule.

Old 01-29-2019, 11:07 AM
Received 98 Likes on 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
And there are folks who insist that they must be changed every 30k miles ! Yes, Infiniti does say to change it at every 30k miles under their "Premium" service (and this level isn't based on driving conditions either) but that doesn't mean it needs changed. It's just preventative maintenance. They could say to replace the battery every 2 years too and there's no harm in doing that either. I'm sure other years are the same but for the 2008 maintenance guide, Infiniti has no service interval for inspecting or replacing this belt except under the Premium service schedule.
50k miles ago they had a list of things they said needed to be replaced like tie rods, ball joints, belts. Still no signs of worn parts and it's my daily

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So... my serpentine belt gave out.