Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 3volved
That's really quite disappointing. I'm still planning on dyno'ing my 05 6MT though.
Definitely do that.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:37 PM
Oh, also, there is one thing to be said for the car needing more time, more like 100 miles, to acclimate to the tune and start really building power.

I would like to re-dyno in a week and start with the car fully tuned this time and then de-tune it and see if there is a difference.

Of course that's only if I can get more money thrown at me.

Also, the total dyno cost ended up being $110 (I'll scan in the receipt), so if any kind members want to give me the $25 difference, that would be great.

I scheduled more dyno time in a week, in case anybody wanted to fund a second Bully Dog test.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:39 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
would like to see the change in area under the curve. Do you have any other friends with G's around? I would like to see another dyno with another car to verify. Doesn't BD have a HP increase guarantee? Maybe I'm mistaken I don't know lol. Anyhow, I'm waiting to see the sheets / numbers

Old 09-28-2009, 04:40 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Ouch based on those results it is very dissapointing. I think I will be looking more into Cobb tuning at this point.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:42 PM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
would like to see the change in area under the curve. Do you have any other friends with G's around? I would like to see another dyno with another car to verify. Doesn't BD have a HP increase guarantee? Maybe I'm mistaken I don't know lol. Anyhow, I'm waiting to see the sheets / numbers
Do you mean the power curve? It is unchanged, except for being a little lower. There isn't a shift or redistribution.

Old 09-28-2009, 04:50 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Greekboy115
Ouch based on those results it is very dissapointing. I think I will be looking more into Cobb tuning at this point.
Cobb really does make power because they actually dyno tune a map for each car they sell the accessport for.

If you all find a good distributor, you can get them for pretty reasonable prices. I bought one for 500 at a local shop here. I also got street tuner for it and can tell you through personal experience, the AP's tuning capabilities are very good.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:26 PM
Interesting results.

Loss of hp I was not expecting. Your base hp numbers are pretty disappointing to begin with. I didn't realize the altitude made numbers suffer that much.

Overall this proves why the "butt dyno" doesn't work. It's placebo effect at it finest. You spend money, manufacturer tells you to expect gains, therefore you perceive improvement even though there isn't one. Same as being handed a sugar pill and told it's real medicine. Roughly 30-40% of the time people will report symptom improvement with placebo...it's all the belief that it works.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:31 PM
Did you advance timing 2* as well for the dyno?

Old 09-28-2009, 05:32 PM
Originally Posted by CalsonicVQ
Did you advance timing 2* as well for the dyno?
That was my first question. This is a very important factor.

Old 09-28-2009, 05:46 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
+1 ^^
Also, what tune and fuel octane were you running?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:14 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Guys... that ain't right.
I'm gonna have to find time, bite to bullet and get results myself. I know a lot of this is in the head because any gains we see are minor at best... but I assure you of one thing. I did not lose power with the application of the BD. There are noticeable gains here.
Yeah, I noticed a little something with the exhaust, but nothing in comparison to the BD.
Placebo affect would come into play if there was a 5-6 hp gain and someone thought they gained 20-25. I'm not guessing a thing on gains because I have absolutely no idea, but I'll bet a nut on the fact that I lost nothing and gained something.
I just don't know what the something is.

Maybe I'll do a run or two with the BD already installed and then while I'm there, put it back to stock for another run or two.
I guess I need to do this. Everyone is now going to claim that the BD is not giving us any gains and I'm sure that's not the case here.

Ball... can you give me your exact tune details?
What version of the tune are you running?
What timing do you have set, what rev limit are you running and what fuel are you running with?

Last edited by AesonVirus; 09-28-2009 at 06:18 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 06:40 PM
I wouldn't look to far into those dyno numbers as there was obviously something not setup correctly.

You should lose 3% hp for every 1000' of elevation making it 15% loss at 5000 elev. I too live at 5000 elev and do notice a power loss but nothing major.
The drive robs hp as well, but not 35%.

The shop that did the dyno should have given corrected hp numbers, where did these come in at?

Old 09-28-2009, 06:42 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Scott, I'd be happy to kick in for this.

Old 09-28-2009, 06:44 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dmkhnr
I wouldn't look to far into those dyno numbers as there was obviously something not setup correctly.

You should lose 3% hp for every 1000' of elevation making it 15% loss at 5000 elev. I too live at 5000 elev and do notice a power loss but nothing major.
The drive robs hp as well, but not 35%.

The shop that did the dyno should have given corrected hp numbers, where did these come in at?
You also have to consider the DA, the type of dyno, the miles on the car, etc.

There is no comparing one car's hp numbers to another, only comparing one car's baseline to the results after modifications on the exact same dyno/day etc.

What's important were the back to back results.

Old 09-28-2009, 07:01 PM
Your right, every car is different, and to compare the stock run to the tuned run is whats important. Some dyno's read low and some high, however to see an almost 50% power loss on a stock run should throw red flags. Either something is wrong with the dyno or something wrong with the car. The dyno results aren't accurate.
I have no skin in this, as I don't have a bullydog, nor do I want one or any other tune, exhaust, intake. I have watched this thread just for interest, and waited to see dyno results.
Whats the corrected numbers, as I'm sure this will prove a fault in the dyno run as-well.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Nissan Power Pup Bullydog - First Impressions