Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2009, 06:13 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Originally Posted by crashnburn
wtf.... i had my G s/c and that shop blew a ring in my motor so i then sent my **** to forged and had them swap a used motor in with only 15k miles on it... didnt even make it 300 miles b4 it broke a rod and had this camshaft position code... and yes i was 100% stock then and had Forged swap the motor so i know it was done right.....

so anyways, after that motor blew i bought another motor and had Forged replace it again, well everything has been good for the last month and half(2000 miles) and then last night my car died and i now have camshaft position code again... wtf... needless to say i called sharif and waiting for a call back from him.....

already lost $10k cash in replacing motors in this pos, and why isnt this a TSB yet...
^ wrong section bro... this is 2nd Gen.

Old 06-24-2009, 08:58 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Originally Posted by Ant0n
As much as I know Subie was on the Cobb tune lately...
I wonder what could be causing this damage to our engines? could it really be the ECU tune, like changing the rev limiter or timing?
Who knows, but I'm not thinking it's the timing. My dealer offers this as a service, so I doubt it's a threat to the engine.
The shift points however... that's another story. Suby had his rev limit set to 8500 and I told him he had ***** of steel.

Who knows what caused it, but I hope he gets through this with no out of pocket expense. that would suck.

Keep us posted Subes!

Old 06-24-2009, 10:05 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Good luck man...hope the flash didn't cause it.

Old 06-24-2009, 10:38 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
The shift points however... that's another story. Suby had his rev limit set to 8500 and I told him he had ***** of steel...............
Yikes!!

Old 06-25-2009, 12:22 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Hmmm ... 8500?! May I ask why?

Old 06-25-2009, 01:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I definitely had Suspicions about the earlier BD Tunes dealing with the settings. The tune I had when the engine went was the 1.2.2D. I was not going to install this tune once I got my car back. I did receive the 1.2.2F update and installed it. It was definitely a different experience when I was installing it. There were no delays and when the fan came on It stayed on for almost the entire flash update. That was different for the 1.2.2D version. For the 1.2.2D version the fan only ran for a couple of seconds. The settings were also different between the two versions. 1.2.2F looks to be the proper settings for our ECU's. It, (1.2.2F), already had the +2* timing set in it. The 1.2.2D version had the -2* setting in it. I now have a brand new engine with the 1.2.2F Flash in it from the beginning of the engines life and it is running well. I have to go through the proper break in peroid before I can go WOT and top speeds. Right now I have to keep below 65 Mph until I reach 1K.

Old 06-25-2009, 04:16 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
^ so are you saying 1.22D could be not completely ready for use once its been released? could they be rushing to release it and not properly finish it?

the thing is that I got my power pup like a month ago and still waiting for the update from BD , which will work with my ECU part # . I am really annoyed with them now, but after this thread time is nothing. Cz I really hope the newly released update will be properly finished and dont wanna rush them.
The thing is, is it possible to somehow check if the update works fine with the car and that it will not harm the car?

Old 06-25-2009, 04:20 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
The shift points however... that's another story. Suby had his rev limit set to 8500 and I told him he had ***** of steel.

Agree on this one

Old 06-25-2009, 07:50 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
^ the thing is... there's no power up there anyway.
The curve drops off.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:23 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I'm set to 7700 but I don't think I've even hit that yet.

Old 06-25-2009, 11:50 AM
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
hey guys.
thanks for all your comments feedback and support, in this fqd up time.
i really didnt go on here for some time and for a reason. just brings up more memories and seeing other members "oh i just installed this" and im like ok cool and i cant do anything now.

just a quick update once again
yes i had the cobb accessport and protune just done a few days ago. and yes i did have my camshaft and other sensors replaced many many times. so something was going wrong with the car/engine for some time apparently now. however there was no knock pinging at all at anytime. the times that i took the car in for the same sensor replacement could of easily made it a lemon law.

they dealer said that the timing chain and crankshaft wont turn. thats all i really know for now. of course they pointed all the mods i had and outlined them all. they did mention that my engine is completely damaged and inoperable.

i will have full updates once something is replaced or whatever the outcome is. and answer all of your comments that were posted. i talked to many many people away from this forums car protuners and shops and nothing that i have done to or with the car could of made this happen. seriously its the infamous HR. !@#$%@^

for once i thought i was finally done with my G everything i wanted and worked so hard for was all complete and now this. thats crap.

Old 06-25-2009, 12:21 PM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
^ I can imagine how tough that is to deal with,
I feel for you Suby

...I agree, there has definitely been something f'd up for long time with all those sensor problems.
I deal with process instrumentation in my business,
& it sure seems to me that they are the symptom of other issues.

Old 06-26-2009, 04:17 PM
hey guys.
heres a update.
i got a call from the dealer. and they said that the engine was broken, needs to be replaced, and the good news is that i am getting a new engine. will be shipped from japan should be here in a week and i should have my car back in a couple of weeks. so i said ok.

now they just called me back and said they took the engine out and big news the car will now not be covered under warranty because of my after market parts. and the cause was the pulley that caused the crankshaft to break.

it will cost 14k to replace. they will not perform any other type of work on the car until i sign the authorization.

i know im sol for a car. but i will go down there tomorrow first thing in the morning and see their paper work and show it to my lawyer for the warranty paperwork and also what the cause of the damage is. i will have my lawyer review it. very little chance that anything can be done. but thats where im at right now.
i was super lenient with them for the lemon law for my car for the several times that they changed out the sensors and all the other things that were breaking on the car and that was way before i had any aftermarket parts on the car. but now im just looking for a way to solve this obviously.

anyone have any suggestions for anything at all would be super appreciated. thanks.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:08 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
That's interesting, but horrible. To break a crank takes a LOT of effort, literally. What did they say exactly broke on the crank?

Old 06-26-2009, 09:35 PM
i dont know, im going tommarow to see what they tell me. i asked them so send me to paperwork email or whatever. that would state the what specific part caused what specific damage. they refused to do that. the engine is apart and hes like you seem to know a lot about cars come take a look at it. just being a real..... so i agreed going to go down first thing in the am. but they should also be prepared with some proof to backup their decision.

what does the dealer care they just want to be tough guys and say were not covering it. honestly they would make more money because the part would be free of charge and they would still get $$ from infiniti for the labor. if they fixed it like they said they would in the first place i was going to trade it in for a new G. and later on this year purchase a convertible for my mom. but now they just lost a pretty valuable customer.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car died on the highway. Need help from Techs