Exhaust question... Power gains!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-14-2011, 11:49 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exhaust question... Power gains!

Well did a bit of seraching and see which exhaust to get and all but most threads tend to travel and hit more on which exhuast sounds the best...

Well in your guys opinions as well as dyno proven data... which cat back offered gets the biggest gains, along with high flow cats and a tune?

Old 01-14-2011, 12:15 PM
Received 213 Likes on 156 Posts
From what i've read so far, they're all pretty much the same... only within a few whp of each other, which can easily be attributed to variances in dyno's. Thus the reason people choose by sound instead.

Old 01-14-2011, 12:55 PM
Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
^ +1 I have been doing a lot of searching for exhausts as of late and I think most will agree the power is all within reason of each other. You should base your choice on sound, quality, looks and price in my opinion.

Old 01-14-2011, 06:35 PM
I can tell you without a doubt that my car is quicker and more responsive than the new G37x loaner I had for over a week. It was like Christmas getting my car back. Makes me not want a new G as then I have to mod it all over again and they are far more expensive than when I bought mine. I was mildly disappointed and didn't like the 6 speed at. It had a mission to get to 6th gear as fast as possible.

Love my FI exhaust. I am thinking of keeping the car for awhile and if a I do I may look into a SC. If available for the X mind you.

Old 01-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
Well, you can always do a before and after effect on the exhaust that your going for to see what the gain is on the one you choice. I have Fast Intentions on my car. I don't know the gain on it but i like the way it looks and they way it sounds. Not to loud, not to soft. I hear also a lot of people been getting Stillen. That is a bit louder but still very good. What have you been looking at?

Old 01-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
An exhaust alone will not net you any noticeable "butt dyno" power gains.

You'll be lucky to get high single digit RW gains, and there's no way you can feel that. Don't fool yourself people.

Old 01-15-2011, 01:52 AM
Received 576 Likes on 502 Posts
But at least you'll notice the sound. haha that's about it.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:26 PM
Ok, well I am not going to sound mean or like a rutard here but after searching and reading these forums 99.9 percent of memebrs aggree that an intak ewill not give you any power, noticable and dyno... but no you are saying an exhaust will also not give you any noticable power>? or atleast under 10? sooo how are all these members getting the gains the get with exhaust?

p.s before you bash the fact that it is just an exhaust please read my initial post I stated I would be getting a tune and cats... so I m basically lookiing for the best exahust to couple with those mods...

Old 01-15-2011, 03:44 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
No gains? I don't think anyone is saying that but i would agree that 5-10hp is not noticeable and gains for intake/exhaust are not additive. For me driving a 6MT, the audible sounds from the intake/exhaust definitely help me drive better--you can actually hear what the engine is doing to help you modulate the clutch/throttle.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:47 PM
Received 55 Likes on 49 Posts
Originally Posted by gorillaclub
Ok, well I am not going to sound mean or like a rutard here but after searching and reading these forums 99.9 percent of memebrs aggree that an intak ewill not give you any power, noticable and dyno... but no you are saying an exhaust will also not give you any noticable power>? or atleast under 10? sooo how are all these members getting the gains the get with exhaust?

p.s before you bash the fact that it is just an exhaust please read my initial post I stated I would be getting a tune and cats... so I m basically lookiing for the best exahust to couple with those mods...
You get gains from an exhaust, small gains, but it isn't anything you can feel in the "seat of the pants."

If anyone tells you otherwise they're full of ****.

Now, with an exhaust, hi flow cats, and tune, you should net some good gains.

Old 01-15-2011, 03:57 PM
Received 39 Likes on 27 Posts
Not to thread jack but, there's a lot of debate about 2.5" diameter being better for NA engines and 3" being better for FI engines.

Im guessing with a 2.5" or similar diameter exhaust you will get more torque out if it vs a 3" where you would feel the power in the higher RPM's maybe around 4k.

So isn't a 3" better? If you're really on it, your RPM's should fall at around 4k anyway when shifting correct?

Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 AM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
full exhaust + tune you'll definitely feel it on the road and on the dyno.

A little OT, but does anyone have FI LTH's? or is Tony not making them for the HR?

Old 01-16-2011, 02:04 AM
Originally Posted by Q8y_drifter
full exhaust + tune you'll definitely feel it on the road and on the dyno.

A little OT, but does anyone have FI LTH's? or is Tony not making them for the HR?
+1, especially with a tune!

I'd say you get about 5-7 hp at most from just a exhaust and no tune or any other mods.

Old 01-17-2011, 03:47 AM
what combo do you guys recommend? tune = exhaust? whos putting out good numbers?

Old 01-17-2011, 04:38 AM
Originally Posted by gorillaclub
what combo do you guys recommend? tune = exhaust? whos putting out good numbers?
A tune doesn't equal an exhaust. You would perform an exhaust upgrade and an engine tune.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Exhaust question... Power gains!