Motor Mounts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2012, 10:24 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Motor Mounts

I'm just curious to find out if anyone makes polyurethane motor/tranny/diff mounts for our cars?

Ive searched around and all I can seem to find are solid racing motor mounts and that was on the 350z forums. And I've yet to find out if the mounts would be anywhere near the same between a Z and a G sedan.

The reason I'm looking at motor mounts is that Ive been doing some trouble shooting on my car. The car is a 2007 G35x with right at 81,000 miles on it. When driving at low RPM's the car seems to have a side to side wobble to it, its kind of hard to explain. Maybe like the motor or tranny is moving side to side in the car like there is a loose or worn out mount. When I start feeling the wobble I give the car gas just slightly to get the RPM's up and it goes away. They only other time I feel anything that resembles this is sometimes on start up and idle I can feel it.

I searched in the 2nd gen forum for similar problems and there has been some posts with similar issue but they were never resolved. People suggest bad tire balance, warped rotors, warped or bent wheel etc. But I seriously do not think that is my issue. I recently put my Z wheels on and had the same problem with my OEM wheels and old tires. Rotors were put on new right before I bought the car and have the receipt to prove it. Plus if it were rotors being warped I would feel it during breaking too but I do not. The issue only arises when I'm driving slowly in low RPM's. Specifically 2k and under. The only thing I haven't ruled out it bad struts/shocks (lol) and I have a feeling that my struts/shocks are not the cause for this "wobble" feel since its intermittent and the problem changes according to throttle response.

Any input or help would be greatly appreciated. I'm completely new to this platform as I come from FWD Mitsubishi platforms. I have experience in dealing with worn out/bad motor mounts with my last 4 Mitsubishi s. Seems to be one of the many plagues on those cars.

Old 04-06-2012, 12:59 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
checking your motor mounts is not that hard, get underneath the car take the cover off and u can easily see and inspect if they are bad, you will know if they are in a real bad shape by looking. Also while ur there check out the steering rack for leaks which is also something that seems to happen to our cars(i have same issue) that will cause a bit of 'wobble' intermittently

Old 04-06-2012, 03:29 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
I don't know that I've ever heard much about our motor mounts being an issue, but I guess as they're aging a bit now we may yet discover something new. In the past, when ever I have had bad motor mounts, I could always tell by watching the movement of the motor while having someone hold the brakes hard, put the car in gear (both forward and reverse), and then rev the motor. If the mounts are severely worn, the engine will move A LOT!

Old 04-06-2012, 03:52 AM
Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
If someone can donate their old mounts I will gladly make a stiffer poly mount...

Old 04-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Ill have to check the steering rack along with the mounts. I need to buy some jack stands first. Those are going to be a good investment since I need to change my tranny/diff/tcase fluids as well.

Originally Posted by Eric@TCGMiami
If someone can donate their old mounts I will gladly make a stiffer poly mount...
If I have to replace mine, I would gladly donate my old ones.