V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Anybody taken harddrive out yet?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-12-2007, 10:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by viguera
I hate all this speculation about what the hard drive is or does... it's ridiculous.

Took me 10 minutes to go outside and take the damn car apart... if it wasn't so late already I'd take the whole unit apart and mess with the hard drive, but I gotta drive the car to work tomorrow

I'll post pics in a minute.
You Sir, are my Hero!

Old 06-12-2007, 10:58 PM
I hate all this speculation about what the hard drive is or does... it's ridiculous.

Took me 10 minutes to go outside and take the damn car apart... if it wasn't so late already I'd take the whole unit apart and mess with the hard drive, but I gotta drive the car to work tomorrow

I'll post pics in a minute.
i dont really care whats in it so i didnt plan on openin it lol

Old 06-12-2007, 11:16 PM
Here we go...

Damage is done...

Front of the nav unit...

Back of the nav unit...

Old 06-12-2007, 11:19 PM
Six screws and the clip for the shift **** and the whole thing comes out.

Biggest pain in the *** is the connectors... as you can see from the back of the HU you have 2 connectors going to the control unit, 4 more to the nav unit on the left, top right is the aerial antenna and underneath is another connector and the sat antenna.

Piece of cake to take that out...

Now taking the hard drive out is another story. The HU must have 20 little *** screws on each side. Pain in the *** and I don't feel like dealing with it tonight. But it should be easy enough to crack it open and see what's what... maybe one of these days when I have the time.

Old 06-12-2007, 11:42 PM
damn dude.. you're brave..

Old 06-12-2007, 11:47 PM
Originally Posted by McElroy
damn dude.. you're brave..
Trust me, this is faaaar from my first time...

Old 06-12-2007, 11:49 PM
Yea, I agree... very brave. I thought I had *****, but you sir have big Barry Manilow *****.

Old 06-13-2007, 06:38 AM
Traveling Administrator
Received 175 Likes on 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Karnidge
Yea, I agree... very brave. I thought I had *****, but you sir have big Barry Manilow *****.
LOL, definitely a +1 on that statement!

Viguera, let us know how you make out!

Old 06-13-2007, 07:08 AM
Originally Posted by Garnet Canuck
LOL, definitely a +1 on that statement!

Viguera, let us know how you make out!

My guess is that the file system is probably ext3 or some other Linux variety. I imagine it wouldn't be worth the manufacturers time to develop their own or buy some proprietary file system.

It would be really cool to be able to install a larger drive, and it would also be nice to find out if the HU can play back files that you transfered directly to the drive with a higher bitrate than the 130kbps or whatever it is that the HU rips CD's at.

Thanks for taking your car apart for us to find out

Old 06-13-2007, 09:11 AM
yo vig how the hell did you do that so quick lol...do you do installs for a living or something? Or are you just really good at installing audio ish and all that?

Old 06-13-2007, 09:20 AM
Originally Posted by logik05se
yo vig how the hell did you do that so quick lol...do you do installs for a living or something? Or are you just really good at installing audio ish and all that?
It's all a matter of figuring out what to do, then following instructions. The first time I took apart the dash on my Maxima it took me almost 45 minutes... same thing with the Benz and this car. You go slow and figure out if there are any clips, screws or anything else that you're missing.

After that, it's off to the races. If I sit down with you and show you, you can probably do it yourself in a couple of minutes.

Old 06-13-2007, 11:32 AM
Originally Posted by beestea
My guess is that the file system is probably ext3 or some other Linux variety. I imagine it wouldn't be worth the manufacturers time to develop their own or buy some proprietary file system.

It would be really cool to be able to install a larger drive, and it would also be nice to find out if the HU can play back files that you transfered directly to the drive with a higher bitrate than the 130kbps or whatever it is that the HU rips CD's at.

Thanks for taking your car apart for us to find out
I'm betting on VxWorks OS (or something equivalent) with a FAT filesystem. I haven't even heard a rumor about GPL stuff on this car. We'd be able to ask for system source and I doubt that Nissan would like that.

Awesome thread. Can't wait to see how this plays out....

Old 06-13-2007, 11:43 AM
Originally Posted by iboy
I'm betting on VxWorks OS (or something equivalent) with a FAT filesystem. I haven't even heard a rumor about GPL stuff on this car. We'd be able to ask for system source and I doubt that Nissan would like that.

Awesome thread. Can't wait to see how this plays out....
If it was GPL they'd have to disclose it... I see no mention of that anywhere in any documentation.

Old 06-13-2007, 12:56 PM
It's all a matter of figuring out what to do, then following instructions. The first time I took apart the dash on my Maxima it took me almost 45 minutes... same thing with the Benz and this car. You go slow and figure out if there are any clips, screws or anything else that you're missing.

After that, it's off to the races. If I sit down with you and show you, you can probably do it yourself in a couple of minutes.
yea thats a good point...its really just like anything else. I remember when i built my first computer it took me a lil time. Now i can litterally do it with my eyes closed. I dont really have the ballz i guess with my car cuz im affriad im going to break something then ill hear that lose part rattelin all the time lol.

Old 06-13-2007, 02:40 PM
Man Vig, I want you to come over here and show me how to take my car apart!

I wonder if the reason it is a relatively small drive (30GB) is that whatever OS they are using can only support a maximum partition size of 32GB. So, you may theoretically be able to pull out the HD, and use ghost or dd to copy it to a new, larger disk. But, you might not actually be able to get much more usable space.

Someone will try it eventually.... I don't have nav so it won't be me.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Anybody taken harddrive out yet?