V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

RPM Guage Reading Incorrectly or Stuck??

Old 07-09-2007, 06:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy RPM Guage Reading Incorrectly or Stuck??

Hey all,
Wondering if anyone has had this issue. I have a 2007 G35 MT S.

After some slight sprited driving my RPM gauge will read about 1500 to 2000 revolutions higher than the car seems like its doing. By "spirted" I mean taking the car up to 7 grand for a quick highway pass.

After something like that my RPMs will be higher. I.E. 75 in 6th gear will say 5k. and at idle in nuetral it will say 3k. The car doesn't sound at all like its idling that high in either example. This has happened to me twice, and usually its gone the next day or after a long period (few hours) or inactivity. (It might happen more, but I dont typically take the car up that high to cause the problem.)

I'm literally taking the car to the dealer within the next hour to have them look at it. Just worried they won't find anything since by the time they'll look at it (tomorrow morning) it will have probably gone.

Has anyone else experienced this??

Thanks!

Old 07-09-2007, 07:22 PM
If you consider that spirited then what I've been doing must be considered Extremely wild. While I have never popped the rev limiter I did glance down and notice that I was above 8k in fourth, for ever so brief a time before slowing down (didn't have room to shift to 5th and continue my little jaunt).

And on a daily basis I go above 7k, both at highway speeds and just coming off a stop light. Haven't had the issue you speak of.

However when I start the car in the morning the rpms run at about 2k for about 30 seconds before coming down to what I would consider a normal Idle.

Good luck and let us know what is up.

Old 07-10-2007, 10:01 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Yeah there is definitely something wrong with your sh*t. Get it checked out...Even upon cold startup, idle should not reach 3K rpm.

Old 07-11-2007, 08:19 PM
Update

So yeah the dealer did find an issue with the car.

Like I thought the engine itself is not revving high - rather the tach is reporting incorrect values. Apparently its not reading the voltage passed from the engine sensors correctly all the time.

Part's on back order, so I have my car back - its fine right now, but who knows when it'll decide to act up again. At least I have nothing really to worry about its more of an annoyance.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:39 PM
Lundquist,

Do you know what the dealer did to diag the problem? I'm having this same thing happen, where every now-and-then the Tach seems stuck a couple thousand RPM high or low. It will reset/recalibrate itself after the car is off for a few hours.

I took it in to the dealer and they said they couldn't replicate the problem and therefore could do anything to try to fix it. I'm not surprised they didn't see it, since I only notice it once a week or so. I did take a picture of the tach/speedo with the car turned off and the tach still reading 3000 rpm. You could tell the ignition was off in the pic because nothing is lit up.

So, again, do you know what they did to test and what part they replaced?