V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

RPM Gauge not working in hot weather

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 01:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RPM Gauge not working in hot weather

So, I live in the San Fernando Valley, here in Los Angeles, CA. Its a nice place but it gets pretty hot out here.

Recently, my RPM gauge fails to work in hot weather. I will start my car in 100+ degree weather and the RPM gauge will idle at 0 mph. When I rev it up, it will go up but drop all the way back down to 0 when I let go of the gas.

Lately, whenever I rev it very high standing still, it will stay stuck at 0 mph, even when I drive and press the gas. I took it to the dealer and its the first time he has heard of this and wants me to come back next week.

Any of you guys have any input on what might be causing this?

Old 07-10-2007, 09:00 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by samtheafghan
So, I live in the San Fernando Valley, here in Los Angeles, CA. Its a nice place but it gets pretty hot out here.

Recently, my RPM gauge fails to work in hot weather. I will start my car in 100+ degree weather and the RPM gauge will idle at 0 mph. When I rev it up, it will go up but drop all the way back down to 0 when I let go of the gas.

Lately, whenever I rev it very high standing still, it will stay stuck at 0 mph, even when I drive and press the gas. I took it to the dealer and its the first time he has heard of this and wants me to come back next week.

Presumably you mean 0 rpm, not 0 mph? Take it to the dealer, that's an odd problem which sounds like some kind of electrical resistance based on heat.

Smileys chosen by my kids:

Old 07-10-2007, 11:37 PM

I actually had this problem in my '95 Landcruiser that I drove back in high school. I just took it to a shop and they took care of it. Not really sure what they did.

Last edited by Garnet Canuck; 07-12-2007 at 11:22 AM.
Old 06-18-2008, 12:14 PM
Exact thing happens to me. I live in Hot Texas and summer temps are normal 100+. Any temp reading above 98 degrees and RPM is at 0...
Im taking this to the dealers and will post reply.

Old 06-18-2008, 12:49 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
weird...i know in hot weather the rpm's read extra high and that is for safety precautions. during really hot, humid weather my RPM will idle at 1800rpm instead of 800rpm so it shifts early so it won't cause damage to the engine. i haven't seen my RPM at 0 before...something is wrong

Old 06-18-2008, 01:31 PM
The solution will be based on whether the rpm guage is electronicly driven, or driven by a wire from the engine.
In the "old" days, a spinning wire from the engine block would drive gears that in turn would make the rpm needle move; in some of today's cars, the dash is electronic, meaning there might not be a wire. If there is, then the heat is most likely causing something to become so hot, it sticks or becomes gummy. I think this is the cause for the Landcruiser owner, and the dealer probably sprayed some lubricant into the rpm wire sleeve.

If it is electronic, then I think G35Now! may be on the right track with electrical resistance...if someone gets an answer from an Infiniti dealer, please post here; I'm curious!

Old 06-18-2008, 09:56 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
What does "Reason: OT" mean?

Old 06-18-2008, 10:06 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
off topic.

Old 06-18-2008, 11:37 PM

I experienced the exact same thing for the first time the other day! It was very warm that day, however, the car has definitely seen hotter days. I made a short 2mi trip to the store, came back out in 5min, started up the car, and everything was fine again. Definitely very strange.

Old 07-02-2008, 03:06 PM
Finally had a chance to take the RPM issue to the dealer. The hardest part was waiting for the car to be above 95+ degrees. Due to constant rain in Houston, it finally cleared up and mother nature cranked up the oven.
When the technician started the car, he was baffled that the RPM was not moving. They ran some basic diagnostics but no error code so they replaced the "SPEEDMETER ASSY - 24820-JK60D". Picked up the car yesterday and so far no issues...

Old 06-24-2009, 10:46 AM
Reply to RPM Gauge

Having the same issue and somewhat different, in that my RPM are red-lining at low speeds for no reason - any idea why?

Old 06-24-2009, 12:39 PM
I have the same problem. It's usually mild here in the SF Bayarea, but on some days when it gets to around 90+, the RPMS will either read high (shows idle @ 1200rpm) or read low (sometimes it might show idle @ 0rpm). I'll mention it to the service dept during the next visit, but I bet they'll just say they can't do anything w/o confirmation of the problem and for me to bring it next time it happens. =P

Old 06-26-2009, 01:39 AM
I'm in the san fernando valley and have also had this happen 3 times when it was really hot. At idle it will read 0, then runs about 1000 RPMs too low while driving. I noticed that turning off the car and starting it again corrects the problem, but it's annoying and concerning.

Old 06-26-2009, 07:50 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
gets to 140F here with no issues for me :S

Old 07-21-2009, 03:55 PM
I have experienced that problem as well. But like rwalterk said, I turn it off and on again, and it corrects itself. Kind of makes me feel like I own a Kia

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: RPM Gauge not working in hot weather