V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Heated Seats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-12-2007, 07:27 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
When I would turn the heated seats on, it would take a long time to heat up. I called the dealer, they said there was a TSB. The dealer confirmed the seats heated slowly and performed the TSB related work. Maybe there was a loose connection and the dealer just pushed it together and billed for the time - I don't know. The only thing I do know is that the seats get warm within a couple of minutes and I need to turn it on low.

Old 12-12-2007, 08:44 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by mummaiv
Wake up - start the car, go back inside and get ready for work, etc. Gets cold here in PA.
Thats pretty insane, unless you redline some gears on the way to work, id say your motor is probably full of carbon deposits. Leaving a car to idle for 30 minutes? Thats quite excessive, especially if thats done EVERY morning.

FTMFL in my book.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:03 AM
Originally Posted by chilibowl
Thats pretty insane, unless you redline some gears on the way to work, id say your motor is probably full of carbon deposits. Leaving a car to idle for 30 minutes? Thats quite excessive, especially if thats done EVERY morning.

FTMFL in my book.

Thank you for your expert advice. I assume you are an ASE certified mechanic or certified Nissan / Infiniti tech? If you are stuck in traffic, do you shut your car off?

The point was the heated seats were broke and now they are fixed.

Old 12-12-2007, 09:18 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by chilibowl

FTMFL in my book.

What info do you have on that? I've never heard of a car idling at warm up causing carbon buildup.

Old 12-12-2007, 11:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Idling can actually damage your engine over the long term. Because idling engines don’t operate at their peak temperatures, the fuel passing into the engine does not completely combust, leaving residue in the engine that can contaminate engine oil and make spark plugs dirty. Excessive idling also allows water to condense in the vehicle’s exhaust, contributing to corrosion.
Allowing your car to sit idle for a couple of minutes is ok, but I would definitely suggest that you don't let it sit for 30 minutes everyday.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:23 PM
Thank you for your expert advice. I assume you are an ASE certified mechanic or certified Nissan / Infiniti tech? If you are stuck in traffic, do you shut your car off?

The point was the heated seats were broke and now they are fixed.
No, its something I've read and been told over the years. How often are you stuck in traffic, for 30 minutes at a time, at 0 MPH, every single day of your life?

Old 12-12-2007, 12:26 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by kring
What info do you have on that? I've never heard of a car idling at warm up causing carbon buildup.
I have, although admittedly it might be more of a problem for older cars and fuels. But sure enough, running at low rpm can cause carbon buildup.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:32 PM
You are welcome to your own opinions. I own two fleet repair facilities and one part of the business is we perform road service on commercial tractor trailers. We have 8 gasoline engine box trucks (Ford/Chevy) which while the tech is repairing repairing the vehicle along the road it could be one hour to several hours depending on the nature of the break down. They never shut the truck off. Two of the oldest trucks have over 130K miles on them and no engine damage or performance problems from letting them idle.

Old 12-12-2007, 12:45 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
not sure about carbon deposits, but idling wastes fuel.

Old 12-12-2007, 01:31 PM
Originally Posted by st1sj
not sure about carbon deposits, but idling wastes fuel.
Thank you, Captain Obvious!

Old 12-12-2007, 02:52 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
You are welcome to your own opinions. I own two fleet repair facilities and one part of the business is we perform road service on commercial tractor trailers. We have 8 gasoline engine box trucks (Ford/Chevy) which while the tech is repairing repairing the vehicle along the road it could be one hour to several hours depending on the nature of the break down. They never shut the truck off. Two of the oldest trucks have over 130K miles on them and no engine damage or performance problems from letting them idle.
Just curious - is that a statement that you've pulled the engines apart, and have not seen carbon deposits? Or that the trucks have continued to run okay, but you don't know if there are deposits or not?

Symptoms for carbon deposits include things like rough idle (deposits on valves), less performance - which might not be obvious in a truck. Again though, maybe newer engines with fuel / ignition parameters that are more closely controlled, have less of a problem.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:30 PM
This thread is going nowhere. Different strokes for different folks. I never keep a car and will not keep this car more then 2 years, so it is not a factor for me.

Old 12-12-2007, 03:53 PM
This thread is going nowhere. Different strokes for different folks. I never keep a car and will not keep this car more then 2 years, so it is not a factor for me.
Wonderful

Old 12-25-2007, 11:32 PM
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
is up or down hi setting?

Old 12-27-2007, 01:04 AM
does this apply to the 2008 G35s? Last night my wifes passenger seat was not warm and it felt like it was hot on the backside only. My driver side was fine though.

We thought maybe because she stepped out of the car for a few mins in the store which lead to the seat warming to turn off?

or does LO and High mode determine where the heat goes? wasnt sure if she left it on Lo only

Last edited by NationsMostWanted; 12-27-2007 at 01:51 AM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Heated Seats