V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

DS mode Issues?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2007, 01:11 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
DS mode Issues?

When decelerating to a stop in DS mode...the car will rev up real quick before coming to a stop. Its like I feel it downshifting to a lower gear upon stopping. This occurs twice when coming to a stop from 45mphs or so.

Is this normal in DS mode? or should I take it to the dealer?

Old 12-27-2007, 02:14 AM
Wei
all i know is that the DS decelerates faster when you let off throttle, i do believe it downshifts, so it's most likely normal, you can always go to any dealer and test drive a car, haha

Old 12-27-2007, 02:32 AM
yea its like jerky when it comes to a stop...

Old 12-27-2007, 03:02 AM
Wei
hmm, yeah, best buy is to test drive another one of the lot and see if it's the same..
i know for mine, it downshifts, but not too abrupt... def slows down more than normal mode...

Old 12-27-2007, 03:22 AM
Originally Posted by Wei
hmm, yeah, best buy is to test drive another one of the lot and see if it's the same..
i know for mine, it downshifts, but not too abrupt... def slows down more than normal mode...
like when its going slow it revs up to 3k and drops back down...kinda like a downshift

Old 12-27-2007, 08:16 AM
Received 21 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 559MostWanted
like when its going slow it revs up to 3k and drops back down...kinda like a downshift
It is perfectly normal. If you just use "D", you will notice that this does not occur. When I had my 07 Loaner, in DS, it does exactly what your explaining. Its downshiftin, but it can get a lil abrupt sometimes, but no worries, perfectly normal.

Old 12-27-2007, 08:20 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yes that is normal, it also does it in D mode but requires a little more abrupt of a stop. it's basically using the engine to help stop the car and get the transmission ready for when you punch it. There's only 2 reasons you come to an abrupt stop:

1.) you need to stop completely to avoid an accident.
2.) you are braking hard to slow down, to then accelerate hard to either avoid an accident or gain speed back.

In either case the best thing you could do is drop to a lower gear that lets the car stay in it's sweet spot for acceleration.

Old 12-27-2007, 10:30 AM
Totally normal...and actually a very nice perk of the car. Its the rev matching system that is revving the car when you slow down. Its essentially doing the same thing as a double clutch, revving the engine so its not as jerky is if you were to just drop a gear, and ultimately get back on the gas quickly and have the RPMs ready to go.

The little extra jerkiness when you come to a complete stop(this typically only happens to me when I'm stopping slowly) is when it actually drops it into 1st gear...which is just impossible to be smooth I think in any car.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:00 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
its all normal. if you are complaining about the sport mode, keep it drive. its to help pull the car to a stop and keep the engine in the rev happy range no matter what the situation, hence SPORT mode.

Old 12-27-2007, 01:22 PM
YUP AS SAID ABOVE. . . most of us think this is a good thing
I love braking from 70-30 for a turn and having the tranny drop gears for me
in a hurry. . .great feeling to have that power there through and out of the turn

DS for you!

for those of you who didn't know what was going on, you likely have never driven or owned a sporty manual. . . .all i still miss having a manual

DS keeps me happy though

Old 12-27-2007, 07:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
DS does downshift for you when you slow down, even to a stop.

WHEN it downshifts is determined by the position of the throttle the last time you had you foot on it. If you were at WOT, then it'll downshift pretty high in the RPM range... 4000+ before the downshift. If you were just cruizing around without actually going fast, then it'll downshift really low in the RPM range... under 2000.

On a side note, if you are at WOT and completely let off the throttle before redline, it'll just hold the gear in DS.

Also, the downshifting from 4>3 and 3>2 is pretty agressive, assuming WOT, but not in 2>1 because of the larger RPM jump.

Old 12-27-2007, 07:54 PM
thanks alot guys! now i need to figure out if my heated seats are working LOL

Old 12-28-2007, 01:20 AM
Originally Posted by IvoryPearl07G
its all normal. if you are complaining about the sport mode, keep it drive. its to help pull the car to a stop and keep the engine in the rev happy range no matter what the situation, hence SPORT mode.
yea i dont mind the jerkiness but i just wanted to make sure thats what its supposed to do. usually i keep it in manual mode anyways but i decided to try DS other night.

Old 01-09-2008, 03:36 PM
How often do you guys drive in DS mode? Is driving in DS mode uses more gas than driving in D? I'm talking about just driving in DS mode without doing the +/- shifting..

Old 01-09-2008, 03:44 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
the engine itself does not use more gas.

How you drive makes the car use more or less gas, and DS makes it a lot easier to burn more gas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DS mode Issues?