V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Issues when letting off accelerator

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-06-2008, 02:47 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Thanks for all of the replies. Hearing "it's normal" from people who actually drive the car is a lot more comforting then hearing it from the dealer.

Old 02-07-2008, 02:13 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
Thumbs up

hey guys, i have the 6mt and i have experienced the same problem for a year now, and just today i had the dealer apply the Cold Start TSB on my car it it drives SO much better and smoother, the "bogging" has reduced by a good 75% ATLEAST and the shifting is as smooth as butter , with the clutch service and this tsb the rpm's fall better as well. I actually loved driving it today after a long time.DOMO
i drove all day today with no problems, ill have to drivemore to assure my analysis though.. ill keep you posted...

Old 02-09-2008, 01:09 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
hey guys, i have the 6mt and i have experienced the same problem for a year now, and just today i had the dealer apply the Cold Start TSB on my car it it drives SO much better and smoother, the "bogging" has reduced by a good 75% ATLEAST and the shifting is as smooth as butter , with the clutch service and this tsb the rpm's fall better as well. I actually loved driving it today after a long time.DOMO
i drove all day today with no problems, ill have to drivemore to assure my analysis though.. ill keep you posted...
what is that cold start tsb?

Old 02-09-2008, 09:50 AM
I've noticed this from day 1. It annoys the hell out of me. I think my initial reaction was I shouldn't have bought the car. I guess I never just cruise at lower speeds when I'm test driving I can feel this in 6th gear but it's obviously the worse in the lower gears when I'm crawling in heavy traffic.

I've owned manual transmission cars all my life (Ford, Honda, Nissan, and BMW) and this car is the only car that has this problem. This problem is different from the transmission line shock some of you mentioned. The transmission shock thing happens right away - like .2 seconds after letting off the gas. Our problem happens a good second after you have let the gas out. And it really doesn't matter how smoothly you let it out, it always happens. I'm thinking maybe the ECU decides to close the throttle body completely a second after you let off the gas. again VERY annoying and people think I can't drive my car right.

I just did my first oil change (catrol GTX, no synth yet) and it has improved noticeably. I'm hoping it'll somehow get better as the mileage goes on.

Old 02-09-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hopefully mine will improve with mileage then (only 1100 miles on it). It is fairly annoying to get those glances from the people riding with you whenever it happens. I guess I'm just a little surprised with the number of quirks with this car (vibration in the shifter, issues when letting off the accelerator, etc).

Old 02-22-2008, 07:39 PM
Same exact thing happens on my 1-week old 08 G35S Sedan 6MT. Now that I know it's normal I can start sleeping at night again.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:49 PM
yea, this really bothered me at first too.

I just kinda drive around it now.

It's really bad between 2k and 3k in 1st, 2nd and 3rd gear.

Feels like a sharp brake tap when you let off the gas.

Old 03-31-2008, 12:19 PM
Originally Posted by bfranks
Hopefully mine will improve with mileage then (only 1100 miles on it). It is fairly annoying to get those glances from the people riding with you whenever it happens. I guess I'm just a little surprised with the number of quirks with this car (vibration in the shifter, issues when letting off the accelerator, etc).
I love my G, but I agree with you on the quirks that you listed, including the vibration on the shifter. It looks like Car and Driver was right for once when they said that the shifter vibrates like a ... vibrator.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:25 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
It's in the tune.

DFCO (decelleration fuel cut off).

It's possible a reflash from a TSB would make a difference. The surging cruise control TSB for my 07 made a world of difference for slight throttle transitions and smoothness. Have you had that done yet?

But, with a manual, when you're connected to the drivetrain, that's going to happen either way (whether slight or great).

On my last car, unless slowing only slightly at higher speed, I'd put in the clutch when coasting/braking. It makes driving much smoother.

Old 03-31-2008, 02:33 PM
Originally Posted by silverG2007
It's in the tune.

DFCO (decelleration fuel cut off).

It's possible a reflash from a TSB would make a difference. The surging cruise control TSB for my 07 made a world of difference for slight throttle transitions and smoothness. Have you had that done yet?

But, with a manual, when you're connected to the drivetrain, that's going to happen either way (whether slight or great).

On my last car, unless slowing only slightly at higher speed, I'd put in the clutch when coasting/braking. It makes driving much smoother.
Sorry, but you are talking to a complete moron regarding car parts. Can you explain the "reflash" thing and the "surging cruise control TSB" thing?

Old 03-31-2008, 03:14 PM
yeah i got an auto and i notice it too.. it bothers me when i have passengers cuz it doesn't stop smoothly.

Old 04-12-2008, 08:02 AM
Originally Posted by bfranks
When I completely let off the accelerator, after 1-2 seconds the car will bog down (for lack of a better term) for a split second. Almost like I tapped the breaks. Just enough to make your head bob forward a bit. Letting off the accelerator at 3-4k RPMs in 2nd or 3rd seems to be the most noticeable.

And just to clarify. I'm not talking about engine braking. And this isn't under hard acceleration. Best scenario would be when I'm driving in heavy traffic, and I'm rolling along in 3rd at a constant speed and let off the accelerator to slow down (no braking involved).

Anyone else having the same issue?
I have 07 g35sport manual and notice the same thing. If I am coming up to a stop light and let of the gas (in any gear) it feels like I tapped the brakes and my head bops forward. Did you find out anything about this? If I hear something I will let you know.

Old 04-13-2008, 07:55 AM
Yeah... I feel that too, especially in stop n Go traffic. A lot of that around NY. I had the same type of reaction in my 2005 Altima SL V-6 with Auto . They replaced the tranny in the Altima and that's Front-Wheel drive. Still didn't help. My Mechanic, Not the Nissan Dealer, said it was the E-throttle and Torque converter [the torque converter was NOT replaced]. never did bring it back to dealer - just lived with it until I turned the car in at the end of the lease. I think it's intergral to the Nissan products. Curious thing though: didn't notice this when new [now have 9200 miles on the clock - 2007 G35X, 1 year Young]; Same thing on the Altima, it didn't do that when new, seemed to have "developed" with some mileage.

Old 10-18-2008, 04:43 PM
I am having this issue as well on my 07 Sport. A very annoying "bump" when you left off the gas. I also notice that if you have your digital readout set to monitor gas mileage, it will "bump" just as the bar goes all the way across to 60 mpg. I notice this on the freeway too as you let off the gas on a hill, it will do the same thing. I got frustrated and took it to Infiniti and they flashed the ECM, but made no difference. He said there was a TSB on it so I thought I was golden. I dont know why I didn't notice it sooner. Just not paying attention I guess. Anyway, looks like something we have to live with unless anyone knows anything new.

Old 10-18-2008, 05:36 PM
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
I had this problem in my 07 also and got the CRUISE CONTROL SURGES WHEN GOING DOWNHILL TSB done (ITB07-028a). After which there was definitely a noticeable halt in this bog everyone is talking about. It also slightly fixed the lurch you get when pushing on the accelerator from a stop. You might want to look into it. Not sure if it will help though considering they re-flashed your ECU already. Might be worth a try.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Issues when letting off accelerator