V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Sirius in 2008 G35?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 01:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Sirius in 2008 G35?

Looks like all that is available is XM. I have 3 Sirius receivers and was wondering if there is a decoder box that can be changed out or is the decoder built into the system itself. FWIW, I have the Journey with Premium & Navi.

Thanks, I did a search but could not find anything.

Old 02-19-2008, 07:05 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by OldPhart
Looks like all that is available is XM. I have 3 Sirius receivers and was wondering if there is a decoder box that can be changed out or is the decoder built into the system itself. FWIW, I have the Journey with Premium & Navi.

Thanks, I did a search but could not find anything.
After reading that it could be done I ordered a Sirius receiver from Grubbs. However what I found is that the cars with the navigation package do not have a standalone Sat receiver, it's built into the main AV Control Unit. There is no way to "swap out" receivers.

I'm in the same boat as you.....2 lifetime subscriptions to Sirius....so one way or another I will get it in my car

Old 02-22-2008, 08:50 AM
Just to update everyone.....I stand corrected....

A guy on the myG37 forums got this to work.

Pics

I'm guessing that they used the same harness as in the non-nav models and that it's still functional. I've yet to locate it on mine, but it's worth a look if you want to swap over to Sirius.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:42 PM
I have an 07S non-nav unit and just installed the SAT radio a few weeks back. The harness is located in the trunk on the right hand side of the rear deck underside near the trunk opening. On my car it was connected to another wire instead of being bundled and dangling like I had expected so it took a few minutes to figure it all out, but once I did the install took all of 10 minutes.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Won't work in a 08 Sedan w/navi. The satellite tuner appears part of the tuner itself and is tied to the navigation system. I've called probably 6 installers and parts houses and got the same answer.

Hopefully, they will merge soon so the point will be moot.

Old 02-25-2008, 02:31 PM
Check the link in my post above. That's a G37 with Nav (notice the buttons) that is playing several different Sirius channels. There setup is the same as ours, so obviously there is a way to do it.

I still have my receiver in hand, so if I get time I'll take another look at it and post some picks if I get it to work.

Old 02-25-2008, 03:13 PM
I'd appreciate that.....I seem to be running into a brick wall regarding this!

Old 02-25-2008, 03:22 PM
So if there IS a decoder, why need the other antenna? Seems that if it was a simple "box swap" , you could use the existing connections.

Old 02-25-2008, 04:04 PM
Well it works. I've got Sirius playing now. Seems Grubbs shipped me a refurbished unit......but it's got an active account so worked out well for testing. I'll snap some picks and post them. I'm going to make sure that A) XM nav traffic still works for those that are curious, and B) that I didn't lose anything else since I had to unplug the wiring harness to plug it into the Sat Receiver.

Old 02-25-2008, 05:06 PM
OK....for starters, please excuse the picture quality. The only camera I could find was my daughters....and now I know why she wants a new one.

The connector you are looking for is on the underside of the rear deck. The only trim piece you need to remove will be the top one (4 plastic pop rivets, and some velcro across the back). At the rear edge of the deck you will see a bundle of wire running from the CD changer to a connection just to the right of the trunk light. Disconnect the harness there and use the side indicated in the picture to connect to the Sirius receiver. From that point just mount the receiver and run the antenna cable and you are good to go.

You will lose the CD changer and the XM feed, but from what I can see everything else works as it should, including the XM nav traffic if you choose to keep the subscription up. And as you can see, all the Sirius information is displayed on the screen.

Hope that helps.

Edit: Added some pics and to clarify what works and what doesn't.

Attached Thumbnails Sirius in 2008 G35?-connector.jpg   Sirius in 2008 G35?-sat2.jpg   Sirius in 2008 G35?-xmnav.jpg   Sirius in 2008 G35?-receiver.jpg   Sirius in 2008 G35?-antenna.jpg  

Last edited by bfranks; 05-18-2008 at 10:24 AM.
Old 02-25-2008, 05:21 PM
Originally Posted by OldPhart
So if there IS a decoder, why need the other antenna? Seems that if it was a simple "box swap" , you could use the existing connections.

It's not quite a "box swap" as the cars with Nav have no external Sat Receiver (it's built into the AV controller). On the G35's you use the CD changer connection (piggy back off the camera controller on the G37's). As for why you can't use the same antenna..... It might work, it might not. I've seen it go both ways with satellite antennas. But for those with nav you would have to take apart your dash, remove the antenna cable form the back of the AV controller, and rerun the cable to the trunk. And more then likely it will be part of a wiring harness and impossible to move. In my opinion, that's a lot of work when a second antenna can be run to the back deck and work just as well.

Old 02-25-2008, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the Pics. I may give it a try. Who needs the changer when you have IPOD, Flashcard, Sat, Etc. That did the receiver run you?

Old 02-25-2008, 07:08 PM
I bought the receiver off of Grubbs, and it ran $199. Mine however appears to be reconditioned, which would have pissed me off had it not been for the active subscription . You might want to call and verify what it is you are getting (new / used). You will also need another antenna, which will run $20-$30 and can be picked up almost anywhere.

Old 02-27-2008, 02:51 PM
I wonder if everything will work properly without any hardware mods once the XM/Sirius merger will go through - I'm pretty sure it will.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:46 PM
From what I understand.....yes and no. If you have a Sirius receiver you will be able to continue to receive the "all Sirius" package, or "all XM" package if you have an XM receiver. However to take advantage of the "a la carte" packages (mixed XM and Serius), you will need a new radio.

From www.siriusmerger.com

A la carte programming will only be available for subscribers
using new radios, which will be developed following approval of the merger.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sirius in 2008 G35?