V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

TPMS Disable.. (I have searched!!)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
TPMS Disable.. (I have searched!!)

So I have been reading a lot of posts on here about the TPMS. It seems everyone is ether buying a seond set of sensors and going back to the dealer to re-program, or they are driving around with the light on. I really don't know if I can handle having that light on all summer in my case.

So my question:

Has anyone actually been able to disable the TPMS?? Is there a wire to be cut etc?? Where is the TPMS module located?

Old 03-03-2008, 12:35 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
Why would you want to disable it? It's a safety feature. That's like disabling your VDC permanently...

Old 03-03-2008, 01:00 PM
The goblin resurrection

Received 187 Likes on 95 Posts
I am sure that you could add a switch to inbetween the wire that signals the ecu to turn on the light. Flip it off when the wheels with no sensors are on then flip it back on when the other wheels are on. It is a saftey feature so do this with caution

Old 03-03-2008, 01:56 PM
Originally Posted by CruisnGcoupe
I am sure that you could add a switch to inbetween the wire that signals the ecu to turn on the light. Flip it off when the wheels with no sensors are on then flip it back on when the other wheels are on. It is a saftey feature so do this with caution

Yes, exactly what I need to find. Has anyone actually done it?? Anybody have any wiring diagrams showing the wire?? At least, where is the TPMS module? Actually cutting the light would be the hardest things as I am sure it is an LED mounted in the instrument cluster.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:00 PM
Originally Posted by Mike@RiversideInfiniti
Why would you want to disable it? It's a safety feature. That's like disabling your VDC permanently...

The only reason I would disable is because I live in Vermont. I want to have a second set of winter tires that I can mount myself. I rather do it myself as compared to waiting for someone to swap tires on my wheels. The tire places are packed each season with people changing tires and they charge 100 bucks. I rather put all that money over the next few years to getting a second set of rims. My lease is 3 years, that's $600.00.

If I get a second set of sensors, then I have to go to the dealer each time to get the new sensors programmed!! The dealer is 200 miles away!!!

So I think I have a good reason to disable. Don't want to live with the light. I wish the car could just learn two sets of sensors. Would be so much easier.

You are in CA. I know you don't understand...

Old 03-03-2008, 02:08 PM
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Originally Posted by mossman
The only reason I would disable is because I live in Vermont. I want to have a second set of winter tires that I can mount myself. I rather do it myself as compared to waiting for someone to swap tires on my wheels. The tire places are packed each season with people changing tires and they charge 100 bucks. I rather put all that money over the next few years to getting a second set of rims. My lease is 3 years, that's $600.00.

If I get a second set of sensors, then I have to go to the dealer each time to get the new sensors programmed!! The dealer is 200 miles away!!!

So I think I have a good reason to disable. Don't want to live with the light. I wish the car could just learn two sets of sensors. Would be so much easier.

You are in CA. I know you don't understand...
Lots of us run winter setups and swap them ourselves with no sensors in the second set of tires.
The only time I ever see the light with my winters is on longer highway trips - no audible alarm, just the light which resets as soon as I turn off the car.
The car recognizes the sensors as soon as I put the summer set back on.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:11 PM
I can understand wanting that light off. I drive with the interior illumination turned down to only a few notches above off. The little yellow logo can be eye fatiguing on a dark highway on a long night drive.

It also doesn't dim as much as the rest of the display.

But, I've learned to live with it.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:13 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by usual_suspect
Lots of us run winter setups and swap them ourselves with no sensors in the second set of tires.
The only time I ever see the light with my winters is on longer highway trips - no audible alarm, just the light which resets as soon as I turn off the car.
The car recognizes the sensors as soon as I put the summer set back on.
That's true for the 06 and earlier G35s, but on 07+ G35s, once the TPMS warning light comes on, it stays on permanently until you re-install the rims/tires with the matched TPMS sensors.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:17 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
Not just 07+, my 05 tpms light is always on. My Volks won't work with the tpms sensors, unless I band them to the wheels - I didn't want to do that, so the light's always on. I don't even notice it anymore.

Old 03-03-2008, 02:18 PM
Exactly, I want to figure out a way to disable this. I am pretty good with electrical stuff... I kinda have to be since I am an EE. So I'll try to work on this if I can at least find out where to start.

Any wiring diagrams, schematics..? I've only had the car a week, but getting new rims soon maybe..

Old 03-03-2008, 04:50 PM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
I had this same concern when I installed my winter wheels and tires (Without sensors installed)
I was going to get sensors for the winter setup until I learned that it would mean another visit to the dealer every time I swapped wheels.... dealer is 90 minutes away.

I decided it wasn't worth the cost and went without sensors but was very worried about the nagging light driving me nuts for 5 months a year.

I'm actually very happy to say that the light is not noticeable most of the time.
It blinks when the car is first started, but once it's lit and no longer blinking, I don't even see it while driving.

Old 03-03-2008, 08:38 PM
Wei
the factory service manual is somewhere in this forum, i can't figure out electrical diagrams to save my life...
so once you do figure it out, let us know!

Old 03-03-2008, 08:55 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
put all four sensors in ur spare tire and air it up i heard that does the trick

Old 03-03-2008, 08:57 PM
rarejdm.com

Received 36 Likes on 24 Posts
^ That doesn't work (at least on my car), first thing I tried.

Old 03-17-2008, 09:23 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
TPMS, another useless piece of equipment for people whom actually maintain their cars. Which is why it is now mandatory equipment on all American cars.

If you find a way to disable it let me know. I don't need to reason I just want to get rid of them.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: TPMS Disable.. (I have searched!!)