V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

First oil change...when?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 08:37 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
Originally Posted by fecurtis
I just get mine changed now at the recommended interval since its free (4 years free maintenance). I just give them some synthetic oil and tell them to knock themselves out.
If you supply the oil doesn't it kind of defeat the idea of (4 years free maintenance) or do you own a synthetic oil well. JK.
I get free lifetime oil changes from my dealer so I'll continue to use his oil.

Old 04-03-2008, 09:01 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've followed the manual and changed the oil at the recommended intervals. I'm leasing and not as concerned about the long term longevity of the engine but question the economics of dumping oil before the 3700 recommended intervals. I suppose if I had purchased the car, I might have do a 1k break-in change, just to be on the safe side, and then stick to a 3500-3700 interval thereafter. If I were using synthetic, I'd feel comfortable going 5k between changes. When I had my SUV, I'd got about 7500 between changes with synthetic, but it had a 6 quart capacity.

Dino oil is pretty cheap, so if you're running your car hard in hot weather, changing more often than recommended might be a good decision. I guest the "better safe than sorry" principle applies.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:57 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion - I think trying to extend a $30 oil change given city driving environments is a poor way to try and save money. You can do whatever you like, it's your engine.
I don't remember anywhere in my statement where i said I extended an oil change to save a few bucks. I guess it's nice of you to assume that I'm frugal. What I meant by my statement is, engineers test the engines by predicting how often a normal to bad driver would change their oil. The intervals they recommend are set to correct driver negligence. Sure maybe 30 yrs ago it was necessary to properly break-in engines and change the oil every 300 miles for the first 3000 miles in order to make the engine everlasting...not necessary today. If it makes you sleep better at night, be my guest...change your oil 3000 times before 3000 miles.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:03 AM
Originally Posted by LudwigB
The first oil change should be done at around 1K. From what I've heard, since the engine still new and breaking in, you want to get all the craps out of there as soon as possible.
From "all the craps" i'm guessing you're referring to the metal shavings inside the engine...okay, to clarify this. once again we're not using process of operations from henry ford's day. mechanical engineers design and install very expensive and sophisticated tools to manufacture engine parts. Nissan does not manufacture their parts and just slap it together without testing the engine and putting it on a car lot for us consumers to purchase. Every engine is tested and run for a certain mileage before getting dropped in a chassis. Also, after each part is manufactured, the part is rinsed in chemicals to remove as much "crap" as possible. Like I said earlier, if this makes you sleep better at night be my guest...but there isn't gonna be crap in your engine IMO. The only crap you need to worry about, is the stuff you pump into your car from gas stations...

Old 04-04-2008, 10:45 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
I don't remember anywhere in my statement where i said I extended an oil change to save a few bucks. I guess it's nice of you to assume that I'm frugal. What I meant by my statement is, engineers test the engines by predicting how often a normal to bad driver would change their oil. The intervals they recommend are set to correct driver negligence. Sure maybe 30 yrs ago it was necessary to properly break-in engines and change the oil every 300 miles for the first 3000 miles in order to make the engine everlasting...not necessary today. If it makes you sleep better at night, be my guest...change your oil 3000 times before 3000 miles.
See previous post - you're entitled to your opinion, and perception of automotive engineering practices.

Old 04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I changed mine for the first time at 3k miles. Would have waited till 3750 but I had a nice weather weekend.

Just do what the book says. It certainly DOES NOT say change it at 1k miles.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by G35Now!
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion - I think trying to extend a $30 oil change given city driving environments is a poor way to try and save money. You can do whatever you like, it's your engine.
First off, you need to check your previous post. Do you see in bold where you made that statement. Nowhere in this whole thread did I mention anything of a monetary issue, but YOU assume that that's what I'm talking about.

Secondly, I don't need you or anyone else telling me I'm entitled to my own opinion. That's like me telling you, you can use the bathroom anytime you want as an adult...I already know this.

Old 04-04-2008, 01:33 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
How the heck did we get from First oil change...when? to toilets
This thread has gone to the crapper!

Old 04-04-2008, 02:10 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't know, but I really like that line.........

"That's like me telling you, you can use the bathroom anytime you want"

Old 04-04-2008, 03:17 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
First off, you need to check your previous post. Do you see in bold where you made that statement. Nowhere in this whole thread did I mention anything of a monetary issue, but YOU assume that that's what I'm talking about.

Secondly, I don't need you or anyone else telling me I'm entitled to my own opinion. That's like me telling you, you can use the bathroom anytime you want as an adult...I already know this.
Easy there tiger, you're on your own because I don't have as much emotional investment to this topic as you apparently do. I'm aware of what I said, if it doesn't apply to you I'm glad you relieved your angst by pointing it out.

Good luck with the rest of the thread, I'm out.

Old 04-04-2008, 09:02 PM
hmm.. Just for the recond, What kind of oil are you guys using? what comes stock? 10w-40?

Just curious..

Im seeing alot of people seem to switch to synthetic on here

Old 04-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
well i hear ya guys, and i'll go ahead and do my first oil change a bit sooner, then follow recommended intervals, and thanks for the advise...I will use my bathroom anytime i want. hahaha.

One more question for you guys, and I've always wanted to know this. My Toyota Camry suggests 8000km intervals (pretty much all toyotas)and Nissan suggests 6000km intervals (for pretty much all their cars). Is this an oil grade issue, motor type issue, or just someone making up numbers???

Thanks, don't forget to wipe, if you want of course!

Old 04-05-2008, 02:13 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I'm with ugaexploder. Just follow the mfgs recommendations. I did 3750 and my next change will be 7500. After that, I'm going with 7500 mile intervals and synthetic since my style of driving fits the recommendation for 7500 mile intervals.

Heck, in my Acura TSX, they recommend 10K mile intervals and I did exactly 2 oil changes before I traded the car in with just over 22K miles. No ill effects whatsoever. If I went with the 3K intervals, that would have been 7 oil changes.

As for being cheap, I'm not concerned about the cost, but more for the environment. Oil changes at 3K miles = 200 quarts of oil over 100K miles. That's a heck of a lot of oil to be polluting the world with.

The vast majority of people would probably get rid of their cars before 100K miles. It's highly unlikely the engine will blow up if you change the oil at 7500 mi intervals up to 100K miles.

Old 04-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Had to read this thread just to see what the general consensus was. I see there is none. I'll just check the oil level and color and go by that. I tend to believe though,that if the manual says not until 3700 miles, I'll go by that. They know their car best, they built it. Since they have to dumb the directions down for the average joe, I'm sure the car can go much longer without a change but they need a starting figure, so they use 3700.

Last edited by 08G35x; 04-13-2008 at 05:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Originally Posted by kring
I don't know, but I really like that line.........

"That's like me telling you, you can use the bathroom anytime you want"
I like it too. Fantastic analogy!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First oil change...when?