V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

First oil change...when?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2008, 07:11 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
First oil change...when?

Got an 08x with 3000kms (1900 miles).

Is it recommended to get it done now, sooner, or just wait until the dealer's recommended first service (6000kms or 3800 miles)?

Thanks for the input.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:18 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I changed mine at 1000 miles. I heard oil from the factory was crap.

Old 04-03-2008, 08:15 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
oil is oil is oil. yes there are better grades, but the definition of crap oil is probably great for the car for a few thousand miles. also I'm not sure about Nissan/Infiniti but I know that some companies use a special oil with extra additives from the factory and they don't recommend changing it too soon because that first oil is helping the car break in properly.

With that said, you should be going for your first oil change right now, don't wait. it doesn't hurt to get more oil changes, it may be wasteful, but it never hurts. I did a 500, 1500, 2500, 4000, 7000, 10K, 12K, 14K, 16K.. and switch to synthetic at 16K. I think I even had one more in there somewhere... sure it was overkill, but when it's free from dealer, why not?

Old 04-03-2008, 08:20 AM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I would do it now, on all my new cars the first change has been before the recommended interval. Then you can stick to 3,000 mi intervals (I don't care what the manufacturers recommendation is, oil is cheap and there's no reason to push it long).

Old 04-03-2008, 09:02 AM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^Dido
^^Dido
You should do it now. Not that you are like this, but why people put off or extend time between oil changes is beyond me. It is one of the single most important, simplest and least expensive maintenance items for their vehicle.

Also a note for my fellow cold weather Canadian...this is from Canadiandriver.com
"Keeping the engine warm by using a block heater also helps starting, but another major benefit is reduced engine wear. Warm parts allow engine oil to flow easier into critical areas. Most engine wear occurs in the first couple minutes after a cold start. Rich fuel mixtures wash lubrication from the cylinder walls. Thick oil doesn't spray onto moving parts as easily, so using a winter grade oil will help reduce engine wear.
When the engine is first started, the oil pump forces oil into the oil passages and through the oil filter. The pleated filter element may restrict thick oil too much, so a bypass valve is designed into either the oil filter or the engine itself so the thick oil can bypass the filter. Oil may bypass the filter for only a few seconds or for nearly a minute if temperatures are cold and the oil viscosity is high. During this time, unfiltered oil flows to the engine, which is better than no oil, but it still allows dirt particles to flow to moving parts. Changing to a winter grade oil with lower viscosity helps keep bypass times short and provides faster lubrication to moving parts. Owner's manuals list oil viscosity best suited for cold winter driving."

In case you don't know it yet, our cars come std. with an engine block heater. Just reach into the front bumper under you lic. plate and you will find it there.

Old 04-03-2008, 10:12 AM
My dealer gave me 5 free oil changes for 1 year, so I plan on doing them every 3 months or so

Old 04-03-2008, 11:19 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
just do it when they tell you to...at 3750. this isn't a 1990 mustang people...engineers test the engines by changing the oil at the recommended times. they don't test their engines by changing the oil at different periods. listen to the manual rather than tradition or other member's traditions. newer cars don't need to have their oil changed after 300 miles.

Old 04-03-2008, 11:49 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
I got it guys, thanks.

The jist of it, I take it, that it's not mandatory to change it early, but it would be beneficial, at least the first time. I plan on bringing it in soon.
Unfortunately, I'm not getting free oil changes so I wont be going as often as you 'kring'.

Thanks for the inputs guys.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:15 PM
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
I do every 5000 miles, since thats the longest I'd go on synthetic.

I wish I could go 10k+ like my sisters Mercedes because I get oil changes at least once every 2 months.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
just do it when they tell you to...at 3750. this isn't a 1990 mustang people...engineers test the engines by changing the oil at the recommended times. they don't test their engines by changing the oil at different periods. listen to the manual rather than tradition or other member's traditions. newer cars don't need to have their oil changed after 300 miles.
Hey, you're entitled to your opinion - I think trying to extend a $30 oil change given city driving environments is a poor way to try and save money. You can do whatever you like, it's your engine.

Old 04-03-2008, 12:52 PM
Yeah in my last car I changed the oil maybe once every 8000 miles with pure synthetic. Never had any issues.

I just get mine changed now at the recommended interval since its free (4 years free maintenance). I just give them some synthetic oil and tell them to knock themselves out.

Old 04-03-2008, 01:25 PM
I agree with the "change early and change often" crowd. I live in Houston which means hot, dusty, stop and go driving, and I change the oil every three months regardless of the mileage (always well under 3k). Perhaps this is wasteful, but I'd like to think this is part of the reason my cars have lasted so well (10 to 13 years for each car I have owned).

I'll be getting the first oil change on my G later this month and will probably have less than 2K miles at that time.

Last edited by gottaGnow; 04-03-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 04-03-2008, 04:38 PM
The first oil change should be done at around 1K. From what I've heard, since the engine still new and breaking in, you want to get all the craps out of there as soon as possible.

Old 04-03-2008, 07:47 PM
quick oil-related question.. i just got home from work and realized my "Change Oil" light came on on my speedometer screen.. It also came on on my navigation screen (reminder)..

Can you manually reset the speedo reminder? or does the dealership have to do it for you? i wanted to change my own oil, and i havent had a chance to check the Manual yet

thanks!

Old 04-03-2008, 08:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by sixtydashone
quick oil-related question.. i just got home from work and realized my "Change Oil" light came on on my speedometer screen.. It also came on on my navigation screen (reminder)..

Can you manually reset the speedo reminder? or does the dealership have to do it for you? i wanted to change my own oil, and i havent had a chance to check the Manual yet

thanks!
I believe you can. Scroll past the pages in the speedo console, at the very end there are a bunch of warning stuff. I remember mine was set to every 6k (km) for reminder oil change. The dealership resets this once they do an oil change.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: First oil change...when?