V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

newbie 2007 vs 2008 G35 features

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-04-2008, 05:59 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
newbie 2007 vs 2008 G35 features

I am looking at trading in my audi for a G35 Journey with Premium, Nav, Sport and Tech Packages. If i want a used 07 instead what are the features I will loose? All i can find so far is the iPod connector and Driver Audio Stage (what is that anyway). Did the 07 have the 9.3G HD as well?

Old 04-04-2008, 06:13 PM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
XM went from Nav package to Standard
Backup camera went from tech package to nav package
pre-crash seatbelts added to tech package

Navigation updated 1 year
ipod capability added to premium package
Driver's audio stage added to premium package

Other than that, it's the same car

Old 04-04-2008, 06:19 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
I think you have determined the main differences and yes the 07 has the same HD.
This is all I could find on the Driver's Audio Stage:
The Audio Stage is a system developed by Bose that allows the driver to flip a switch and center the sound around him or herself! From (Stereophile):

For ‘08, we have it worked out so that when you’re driving solo (or feeling selfish), you can flick a switch and center the image for the driver. The left speaker moves virtually to about 4′ outside the left door. Now that’s impressive.

Old 04-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Thanks, very well put. of course i have to have those tech goodies. i am giving up about 120 hp from my RS4 have to have something to play with!

has anybody put a supercharger on this engine, like in the 350z with the cut off switch mounted inside?

Old 04-04-2008, 07:26 PM
That's a good chunk of HP you're giving up? Glad to see you moving to the G!

Old 04-05-2008, 10:04 AM
too expensive

I just can't afford the Audi anymore. i have been trying to start my own company and i am strapped for cash. Not to mention the G35 is fun to drive. Something about rear wheel drive + LSD + burning rubber that always puts a smile on my face.

I turned off the trac control and got the car sideways 2 times on the test drive, plus did a few off the line burn outs....hehe!

Old 04-05-2008, 11:36 AM
Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
abusing a new car.... not cool unless it's the one you're going to buy.

Thumbs-up on a great car, thumbs-down to a bad salesperson.

This is precisely why the EVO and STI are typically not test driven.

Old 04-05-2008, 11:50 AM
ckp
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
^I have test drove an EVO and STI. i didn't drive them hard or like a maniac or anything.

Old 04-05-2008, 03:04 PM
Received 116 Likes on 110 Posts
^Mike did say, "typically not test driven"

Old 04-06-2008, 11:05 AM
RoadRageG35 - I have a 2008 G35xS and can vouch for the Driver's Sound Stage...It is awesome! Just a phase effect handled by the digital preamps...My co-worker has a 2007 G35x and he is pissed about the fact it was added in 2008 models - it works that well...iPod integration is also very solid...I have just the Premium and Sport Pkg (for the x), so can't vouch for much else other than the 225/50R18s look a hell of a lot better than the std 225/55R17s (just too small on a car with a 112" wheelbase)...Good luck on the proposed acquisition...

Old 04-06-2008, 08:05 PM
I didnt really notice much of a difference with the Drivers Sound Stage.

The iPod kit annoys me...it doesnt shut off the iPod...so if you leave it plugged in and turn the car off...just kills the battery =?

Old 04-07-2008, 09:31 AM
I guess it depends on the "material" (i.e. how much separation, etc in the music) - I know that a lot of people noticed the difference whether in the drivers seat or as a passenger when I toggled back and forth...

On the iPod - Check whether you HOLD switch on your iPod is on or off (should be off)...When I power down the G, the iPod cycles off within 5-10 seconds - and when I pull it out - even after a day or two of no use - it is fully charged...

Of course, most iPods are total crap - especially the internal battery - so anything is possible -I'm using an older 4GB Nano and it's gone from troublesome to working fine and back a couple times when used out of the G -but since I started using in the G like a hard drive - it's been great...

No sure what other shutdown settings you can check on yours but it's worth looking into...

Old 04-07-2008, 10:51 AM
Originally Posted by klossfam
I guess it depends on the "material" (i.e. how much separation, etc in the music) - I know that a lot of people noticed the difference whether in the drivers seat or as a passenger when I toggled back and forth...

On the iPod - Check whether you HOLD switch on your iPod is on or off (should be off)...When I power down the G, the iPod cycles off within 5-10 seconds - and when I pull it out - even after a day or two of no use - it is fully charged...

Of course, most iPods are total crap - especially the internal battery - so anything is possible -I'm using an older 4GB Nano and it's gone from troublesome to working fine and back a couple times when used out of the G -but since I started using in the G like a hard drive - it's been great...

No sure what other shutdown settings you can check on yours but it's worth looking into...
yeah, i was worried about the ipod draining my battery as well when the car is off. even with the ipod shutting off which mine does, it would still drain battery to charge right? guessing or having faith that it's minimal.

i have a old 20 gig 2nd gen ipod that i just keep in my car. was about to chuck it, but glad i didn't. it was only getting about 30min - 1 hour of battery life.

the ipod integration is what most others who own other ellc's are most jealous of. personally think the hd is worthless unless you can someday upload mp3's to it. i mean why would you take the time to upload cd's? just buy an old ipod for pennies on the dollar and there you go...

with the use of genre's and playlist in itunes it makes managing you music much easier then having to sort through folders.

Old 04-08-2008, 03:13 PM
the 2008 is supposed to come with a smart system that shuts the accessories down if they car is off after a period of time to save battery life in case of human error.

Also, the dealers around Dallas are having a hard time finding me a car with Nav, Premium, Sport and Tech packages. Apparently the Tech package is a rare item. They want to put me in a Blue Slate one but I am not partial to that color. I might have to wait until May for a Black with Slate interior. I am bummed I had new car fever...

Old 04-09-2008, 12:59 PM
Originally Posted by roadrageG35
the 2008 is supposed to come with a smart system that shuts the accessories down if they car is off after a period of time to save battery life in case of human error.

Also, the dealers around Dallas are having a hard time finding me a car with Nav, Premium, Sport and Tech packages. Apparently the Tech package is a rare item. They want to put me in a Blue Slate one but I am not partial to that color. I might have to wait until May for a Black with Slate interior. I am bummed I had new car fever...
If you don't mind a trip to Houston, some of the Infiniti dealers here have a couple of those. I think.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: newbie 2007 vs 2008 G35 features