V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Custom sub enclosure for our 07+ sedans?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-16-2008, 05:58 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Custom sub enclosure for our 07+ sedans?

Hey guys, what do you think about this enclosure I found on ebay? It looks really small...it's the best thing i've found for a subtle look and fairly cheap too...i'm just wondering if this thing is going to sound any good. What are your opinions.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=260239194950

Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

The enclosure looks good and like you said, subtle. The sound issues will be determined by the specs of the subwoofer you're going to put in there: to see if there's enough chamber space, ported or no port, etc. It does look good, though.

Old 05-17-2008, 12:38 AM
It looks way to small for two 12's unless it's ported. I'd do some research and calculate the measurements given. I would do something with a bit more style like a clear acrylic window and nice carbon fiber, bubinga wood (if you have wood trim) or a leather trim cover. It looks functional but not very stylish.

Upon better review the fitment looks tight. I think it's big enough too. I'd make a nice trim piece and you'll be set.

Old 05-17-2008, 02:44 AM
Received 80 Likes on 65 Posts
Honda Accord
If you do a quick search, you should be able to find some of the info on this box. I remember we had a thread about this box some time last year... lol

Anyways, 4080 should come out with his version of 2nd gen sedan box soon. You may wanna shoot him a PM for it.

Old 05-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Originally Posted by B L U E S L A T E
If you do a quick search, you should be able to find some of the info on this box. I remember we had a thread about this box some time last year... lol

Anyways, 4080 should come out with his version of 2nd gen sedan box soon. You may wanna shoot him a PM for it.
i like 4080's products but most of the boxes i have seen from them are stealth 10" boxes for the rear left part of the trunk. i had to go through some BS to trade my 13w7 for these 2 12w3v3's...i kinda don't wanna trade these 2 12"s for 2 10"s lol.

they also go for almost three times the price of the box i listed. im cheap

Old 05-17-2008, 09:45 AM
Originally Posted by azg35rider
The enclosure looks good and like you said, subtle. The sound issues will be determined by the specs of the subwoofer you're going to put in there: to see if there's enough chamber space, ported or no port, etc. It does look good, though.
Yeah I need to see if I can find a subwoofer enclosure measurement calculator online somewhere and see if it's okay for the subs.

Originally Posted by EWG35
It looks way to small for two 12's unless it's ported. I'd do some research and calculate the measurements given. I would do something with a bit more style like a clear acrylic window and nice carbon fiber, bubinga wood (if you have wood trim) or a leather trim cover. It looks functional but not very stylish.

Upon better review the fitment looks tight. I think it's big enough too. I'd make a nice trim piece and you'll be set.
sorry if this is a dumb question...but what's a trim piece?

thanks for the input guys

Old 05-17-2008, 10:55 PM
Originally Posted by ugaexploder
sorry if this is a dumb question...but what's a trim piece?
A decorative trim molding. Something that dresses up the box a bit more. Possibly a piece of wood that is highly finished to match the car, cut to cover part of the front of the box (the part that shows). A leather cover, a carbon fiber cover or something other than black /grey carpet. Carpet is not highly stylish. If you are only interest in "functional" leave it as is it'll do the trick.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:45 AM
Originally Posted by EWG35
A decorative trim molding. Something that dresses up the box a bit more. Possibly a piece of wood that is highly finished to match the car, cut to cover part of the front of the box (the part that shows). A leather cover, a carbon fiber cover or something other than black /grey carpet. Carpet is not highly stylish. If you are only interest in "functional" leave it as is it'll do the trick.
oh okay, i know what you're talkin about...it would be nice to do something like that but it sounds pretty expensive. I think I will just figure this out in a month or so when I save up enough money to go through with the install...I still have about $800 to spend for this audio project to be complete.

Old 05-19-2008, 12:38 PM
Airspace

Most 12" subs need about 1.25 cuft, so .8 is going to cut down on the low note bass, and make then sound a little "punchy". You would be better off running (2) 10's in that enclosure, which still prefer about .8 to 1.0 cu ft.

I build a lot of boxes, and the quality looks nice. When you add up wood, screws, sealant, carpet, glue, and the speaker connection cups... that's a good deal. Looks to fit nicely too (like some boxes I've built).

Should be a good deal. Just either find a 12" sub that needs smaller space (refer to mfg website) or downsize to some 10s.

Good Luck!

Old 05-19-2008, 01:05 PM
Originally Posted by joes954rr
Most 12" subs need about 1.25 cuft, so .8 is going to cut down on the low note bass, and make then sound a little "punchy". You would be better off running (2) 10's in that enclosure, which still prefer about .8 to 1.0 cu ft.

I build a lot of boxes, and the quality looks nice. When you add up wood, screws, sealant, carpet, glue, and the speaker connection cups... that's a good deal. Looks to fit nicely too (like some boxes I've built).

Should be a good deal. Just either find a 12" sub that needs smaller space (refer to mfg website) or downsize to some 10s.

Good Luck!
I asked the seller if he could somehow make the box a little bigger to increase the volume and he said no...i don't see why they couldn't do this but whatever.

I really love the low note bass and that is the main reason I am putting subs in my car. I already purchased the subs already so that's a problem to downsize or change subs.

I've built one sub box before (about 3 yrs ago) and it took me around 8 hours and $125 worth of material, so I definitely believe that this is a great buy.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:23 PM
What subs did you go with? Have you looked up the specs on their website for the recommendation on enclosure sizes?

I like sealed boxes period. They produce the best bass period. Especially for a trunk installation like the G. Are you going to remove the factory rear deck sub? I suggest that you do. You need a "port" to let all the bass in the trunk get into the cabin. I've done this repeatedly and the bass impact is TREMENDOUS. Just pull out the factory 10" sub in the rear deck and the bass will reflect in the trunk, bounce up into the rear window, then BOOM into the back of your head. Nice.

Old 05-19-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally Posted by joes954rr
What subs did you go with? Have you looked up the specs on their website for the recommendation on enclosure sizes?

I like sealed boxes period. They produce the best bass period. Especially for a trunk installation like the G. Are you going to remove the factory rear deck sub? I suggest that you do. You need a "port" to let all the bass in the trunk get into the cabin. I've done this repeatedly and the bass impact is TREMENDOUS. Just pull out the factory 10" sub in the rear deck and the bass will reflect in the trunk, bounce up into the rear window, then BOOM into the back of your head. Nice.
I went with 2 JL Audio 12W3V3 (2-ohm version). The specs require 1.25 cubic feet of volume inside a sealed box and 1.75 cubic feet in a ported box. The enclosure from ebay has 0.8 cubic feet of volume, which is significantly less than the recommended 1.25. I'm not sure what to do about this...I might just have to fork out the extra money and get a box built somewhere for a $100-$150 more.

Thanks for the suggestion about pulling the factory 10" in the rear deck...do you know if the base package G35's have factory subwoofers?

Old 05-19-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't know about all Gs with the factory woofer in the rear deck. I'm pretty sure they all do (dont quote me!). Simple to pull out.

Great woofers. JLs kick a ton of music. run 300W - 500W per woofer and your going to be super-happy! I would chase down another box then. 2.5 cu ft is a BIG BIG box though. That's darn near 1/2 your trunk! You must love the music then!

You could save a little space by running fiberglass (lose all the space the wood is taking up for the enclosure, but it's still a big box. You could pull the spare tire and use all that airspace for a box, which would still leave you a trunk. Plus the fiberglass build is more like $400 - $700 for a box of that size. Nothings cheap.

But hey, you bought a 4 door, so who needs all that space in the trunk when you have back seats right? (kidding)