V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Tips For Factory Style 07-08 Spoiler Install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-28-2008, 06:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Tips For Factory Style 07-08 Spoiler Install

I installed a factory style spoiler today that I purchased from TheSpoilerStore on Ebay. They had great service and the spoiler looks just like a factory piece. My first impression is that the paint matches well.

I just wanted to give a few tips to anyone who is thinking about attempting this themselves. With a little time and patience, just about anyone can do this. I'm not going to give you step by step instructions because if you follow the directions provided by the manufacturer, you will be okay. These are just some pointers that may make it easier. I'm not responsible if these tips don't work for you but they should.

1. The lining on the trunklid is held on by plugs that remove by using a small flat blade screw driver to pop loose the center piece from the plug and then removing the plug. The rubber bumpers, safety latch handle and the grab handle are removed by simply popping them out.

2. Cover both areas where the spoiler attaches to the trunklid with BLUE MASKING TAPE. Cover a larger area than what you think you will need. The tape will protect your paint finish and give you an excellent surface to mark the location of the spoiler while test fitting it.

3. To set the placement of the spoiler, I measured 10" back from the front corner of the trunklid and made a mark on my tape for the front edge of the spoiler.

To center the spoiler on the trunklid takes patience and some trial and error. Get it as close as you can and trace the position of the spoiler on the masking tape you put down earlier. Then you can measure your marks from the edge of the trunklid to compare each side and adjust placement as needed.

Follow the manufacturers drilling instructions and you will be ok. The instructions said to use a 9/32" bit but I used a 1/4" bit and it worked fine. On my installation, the access holes under the trunklid lined up perfectly with my drilled holes. The location for the hole for the wire isn't as critical but make it large enough that the wire isn't tight in the hole. I ended up drilling a 1/2" hole that lined up with the 1/2" hole on the spoiler. Use some silicone in that hole to help prevent a short. Prime the bare metal in all the holes you drilled before you continue from this point.

4. Before you install the spoiler, use a black Sharpie to darken the edges of the gray foam gasket. When I was test fitting the spoiler, those gaskets stuck out like a sore thumb. Coloring them black hid them well on my car.

5. Wiring - Most people on here seem to be wiring their spoiler's brake light to the left brake light. There is no need to do this. There is a factory-installed plug on the right side of trunklid. Here are a few pics of the location:

Just cut off the factory plug and you are ready to go. The green wire is the hot wire and the black wire is the ground. Zip tie the new wire to the factory loom to secure it.

If you want to disconnect the brake light in the rear window, you'll have to remove the liner on the top of the trunk. It removes pretty much the same way as the liner on the trunk lid. The plug for the light is behind and above the CD changer:

Before you button everything up, test the lights to make sure everything is working properly.

Here are some the finished pics. Sorry for the poor quality. I'll get better ones after the car gets a bath...

Old 09-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts
thanks man!

Old 09-15-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
great writeup! i installed a mitsubishi factory spoiler on my ex-girlfriends eclipse a few years ago and basically followed the same method, worked like a charm and went on very quick.

Old 10-31-2010, 08:08 AM
got mine done! ;-D

Old 01-06-2011, 02:08 PM
Since the pictures are gone, can you give me a detailed explanation or pics of where the factory LED pigtail was on the trunk lid. I know you said it was on the right side. Which wires?

Old 01-31-2011, 03:27 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
U guys have a better pic of the spoiler? Like a close up? Does it look like cheap plastic at all? I wanna get one

Thanks

Old 01-31-2011, 09:06 AM
not close enough?

Originally Posted by djfarhan
got mine done! ;-D

Old 02-01-2011, 12:46 AM
i was hoping for a closer side top angle view, so i can see the surface of the spoiler. i have seen some cheap aftermarket spoilers that has a lot of bumps and wavy curves, if you know what i mean.

Old 02-01-2011, 12:47 AM
this one is smooth

Old 02-01-2011, 01:00 AM
thanks! just wanted to be sure b/c i am about to pull the trigger on getting one from eBay. I am surprise they are so cheap, ABS for $115 painted and free delivery.

Old 04-24-2012, 11:04 PM
I'm having trouble wiring an LED light to the wires coming out of the right side of the trunk. When I connect the wires the LED light stays ON. Any suggestions? As this light should only be controlled by the brake pedal...

Old 04-24-2012, 11:33 PM
LED connection wiring help

I have an 06 coupe
I'm having trouble wiring an LED light to the wires coming out of the right side of the trunk.Out of here I have a red and black wire (pos and neg). When I connect the wires the LED light stays ON . I turned the car off and back on and the light stays constantly brightly lit. Any suggestions? As this light should only be controlled by the brake pedal...

Old 04-25-2012, 12:07 AM
Received 427 Likes on 368 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwalt024

I have an 06 coupe
I'm having trouble wiring an LED light to the wires coming out of the right side of the trunk.Out of here I have a red and black wire (pos and neg). When I connect the wires the LED light stays ON . I turned the car off and back on and the light stays constantly brightly lit. Any suggestions? As this light should only be controlled by the brake pedal...
You do realize you're asking the 2nd gen sedan section, right?

Old 04-25-2012, 12:43 AM
Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
Originally Posted by Dwalt024
I have an 06 coupe
I had the same problem....Apparently those wires are always hot. Im guessing your G didn't have a factory spoiler either. I ended up tapping right in to the drivers side taillight.

Old 04-25-2012, 02:20 PM
Oh wow - good to know. Wonder why they would have wired hot wires to that light :/
Do you remember what colors the wire were that you tapped in to? Green/yellow and black? or the same Red and White configuration? I've still yet to look at the brake light housing...

Sorry to post in the sedan forum - other coupe forums in regards to wiring haven't been accessed since 06 07 so i figured i test my luck here. No answers either

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Tips For Factory Style 07-08 Spoiler Install