V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Safe Jack Stand Placement

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2008, 10:39 AM
Received 85 Likes on 74 Posts
Safe Jack Stand Placement

Where do you guys place your stands?
I'm using the OEM jack since I dont have a slotted jack block and my floor jack bends the jack point on the car.
With the jack in place, where should the stand go so I can lift the other side as well?

Just curious where everyone places the stands.

Old 08-29-2008, 10:50 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've ve done this two ways. The way I liked best. I used a 4" piece of 2x4 with a 3/8 slot cut in it (on the tablesaw) to protect the ridge. Used the floor jack under the center door column, right in the middle. Jacked one side of the car up an place it on two jack stands (also using blocks). Went to the other side and did the same. I jacked up both sides about 16" so ther was room for exhaust work.

Hope this helps.

The following users liked this post:
Ryandb3 (10-21-2020)
Old 08-29-2008, 12:21 PM
Moderation-free
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
IIRC, the first time I tried the jack stands could not be placed; I usually put them as close as possible to the jack point. But the G seems sensitive to this (nasty creaking...), so think I used the G and floor jack on the jack points, and put the jack stands beside them as a failsafe, as close as possible to the jack point.

Old 08-29-2008, 12:25 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by G-perz
I used a 4" piece of 2x4 with a 3/8 slot cut in it (on the tablesaw) to protect the ridge. Used the floor jack under the center door column, right in the middle. Jacked one side of the car up an place it on two jack stands (also using blocks). Went to the other side and did the same. I jacked up both sides about 16" so ther was room for exhaust work.
Completely agree about using a slotted piece of wood.

However, I would not use any jack on the frame rails at any point other than the designated jacking points. I've seen people bend their frame rails easily when they do this.

Old 08-29-2008, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
I would not use any jack on the frame rails at any point other than the designated jacking points. I've seen people bend their frame rails easily when they do this.
Exactly.

A jack block is a steel block with a slot in it, which is just like the block of wood you all suggested, except it won't split under the weight of the car... which wood will eventually do.

I also agree to not jack anywhere but on the jack points.

My issue is with the jack there, there's no room for the stands.

Old 08-29-2008, 09:19 PM
Raise the car at the "garage jack points," then place jack stands on the left and right sides at the safety stand points. There's no need for a slotted block when raising the car at the garage jack points.

This is for a 1st gen G35, but I'm sure it's the same for our cars:

Old 08-30-2008, 06:55 AM
Originally Posted by AlterZgo
Raise the car at the "garage jack points," then place jack stands on the left and right sides at the safety stand points. There's no need for a slotted block when raising the car at the garage jack points.

This is for a 1st gen G35, but I'm sure it's the same for our cars:
Thanks for the imge. Unfortunately, most floor jacks are not practical for reaching the front "garage jack point" in the 07-08 sedan. There has been a lot of discussion on this. It is pretty far under.

I guess a block of wood might split some day. I've not seen it in 16 years of working on cars as well as much larger vehicles (the slot should always be across the grain).

Old 08-30-2008, 09:50 AM
I've also read somewhere that the garage jack points on the 03-06 are not the same as the 07+

Old 08-30-2008, 11:18 AM
Here are the jacking points direct from the 07 G35 sedan service manual:

Garage jack points look to be the same as for the 1st gen (center of front crossmember for front jacking point and rear differential for rear jacking point).

Last edited by AlterZgo; 08-30-2008 at 01:54 PM.
The following users liked this post:
luger303 (05-15-2012)
Old 08-30-2008, 12:22 PM
I hate to admit it but this looks like another case of RTMFM.
Thanks Alter.

Is it safe to place stands at the side jack points?
I'm installing my FI cat-back this week and I'll need a safe way of getting under there. (I hate ramps)

Old 08-30-2008, 01:57 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Thanks Alter.

I'm installing my FI cat-back this week and I'll need a safe way of getting under there. (I hate ramps)
Yup. In fact, I just re-uploaded the full jack points page in my previous post above. Note the picture on the bottom right corner showing where the contact points are when using a shop lift. They're the same place you use for jack stands or when you use the spare tire jack.

Old 08-30-2008, 03:58 PM
Let me know if you find a way to get a floor jack under the front "garage jack point" (and what jack you're using). I've got an aluminum craftsman, low profile and can't reach it.

I can reach the rear point even with the front end on jack stands. Just can't reach the front point.

Old 08-30-2008, 04:49 PM
Originally Posted by AesonVirus
Thanks Alter.

I did the exact install a few weeks ago. Let me know if you have any questions. I'm sure you'll find it straighforward.

Old 08-30-2008, 05:54 PM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by G-perz
Let me know if you find a way to get a floor jack under the front "garage jack point" (and what jack you're using). I've got an aluminum craftsman, low profile and can't reach it.

I can reach the rear point even with the front end on jack stands. Just can't reach the front point.

+1 I can't reach the front end with my jack and it's a craftsman as well. But on the sides, I use a hockey puck with my jack so it won't mess up the railing.

Old 08-30-2008, 06:27 PM
Originally Posted by Iilac
On the sides, I use a hockey puck with my jack so it won't mess up the railing.
Nice idea... do you have a slot cut into it?
Hack saw induced maybe?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Safe Jack Stand Placement