V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Battery for Intellikey

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2008 | 10:06 AM
|
Battery for Intellikey

So I get in my car yesterday and the display screen above the steering wheel shows a pciture of the key with a low battery meter. My guess is the battery is low on my key and requires replacement. I'm really close to 1 year of ownership with my car. How soon did you guys have to replace the battery in the key?

Old 09-12-2008 | 11:33 AM
I wouldn't wait if I were you. I never seen that message. I have an 07 almost 2 years old. They were saying the battery life averages about 1-1.5 years. So I decided to replace the battery last month.

tg

Old 09-12-2008 | 12:16 PM
I dont know if im right or wrong not sure if i heard that if you insert the key in the key slot it the car it actually charges the Battery!!??

Old 09-12-2008 | 12:19 PM
It doesn't charge the battery, its only a reader.

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:16 PM
Premier Member
Life of the battery largely (and normally) depends on how often the buttons are used.

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:29 PM
Pretty normal...I replaced the battery on my FX after 2 years and the G not yet....

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:35 PM
I had that same message displayed for about a month before the battery actually died out. Pulled out the same kind of battery from an old motherboard and placed it into the i-key and its been working great for about 4 months already.

Old 09-12-2008 | 01:43 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Thumbs up remote batt

It's a #2025, available almost anywhere, or from us of course,thx!

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:08 PM
|
Yea I just went and picked one up at rite aid, it was a 2032.

Old 09-12-2008 | 02:41 PM
PREMIUM SPONSOR
Thumbs up remote batts

yea, forget to advise, check yours, can be either, depends on application!

Old 09-12-2008 | 03:37 PM
Moderation-free
Staff Alumni
Originally Posted by Rizzagt22
Yea I just went and picked one up at rite aid, it was a 2032.
+1 - mine are also 2032

Old 09-13-2008 | 12:24 PM
The dealer told me that the slot in the car can in fact charge your battery...were they lying?!

Old 09-13-2008 | 03:05 PM
No, the slot in the car does NOT charge the battery. It only allows the car to read the key manually instead of via radio waves since the battery might not be able to output those waves. This is a safety precaution in case the battery totally dies in your key fob.

Pages 5-8 and 5-9 in the manual clearly state all of this but I can't seem to be able to cut and paste right now so here's a synopsis of the warning:

"Note: The intelligent Key port does NOT charge the intelligent key battery. If you see the low battery indicator in the dot matrix LCD, replace the battery as soon as possible" . . .

I'm not sure why everyone always thinks the port actually charges the key. It's right in the manual! Somehow though, the sale people don't seem to RTFM either

In terms of key replacement- I changed out both M key fobs almost 3 years to the month b/c I was getting the low battery warning. Very easy process. you don't lose any memory settings and it's pretty easy. Not sure with the changes to the G intellikey if they use more battery power now since there were problems with it and a recall. Just not sure.

Either way, I am not technical AT ALL and it takes all of about 30 seconds!

Jay

Old 09-13-2008 | 03:40 PM
Jay, thanks for your reply...I guess I should read all of the manual! But yea it frustrates me when dealers dont know what they are talking about.

Old 09-13-2008 | 05:33 PM
Yeah - it always amazes me when you see these guys sitting around talking and joking when no one is in the dealerships and I've never, ever seen one of them with a manual for any one of the cars. I'm sure some do take the time to read them but wouldn't it be great if all of them were required to know these types of things. The true sales professional should really value the knowledge and quite frankly, Infiniti only has a few models and packages so it really can't be all that hard. It's pretty obvious when you encounter someone who knows what they're doing vs. someone who doesn't.

Imagine how ticked off someone would be thinking that their key battery was rechargeable and it's not. I've seen them mention other things that just aren't true as well. I'd rather just have them say "I don't know" and look it up (or I would look it up myself).

My favorite experience was when I bought my M (and I really liked the sales guy by the way) and he was showing me how the trunk won't lock if you put the key in there. So he shows how it pops open, etc. by throwing the fob in there. We finish up and I'm getting ready to drive off the lot and he throws the Infiniti leather pouch into the trunk and I go to get into the car but the trunk keeps popping up. Luckily it was just that he had thrown the extra fob into the pouch with all of the manuals but inadvertantly threw that in the trunk. We had a good laugh but I have to admit I was a bit nervous when the trunk wouldn't close! This was one of the first push start ignitions so it was all new to everyone

I know I would much rather buy from a sales professional if I had the choice. And sales professionals know their product - plain and simple!

Jay

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Battery for Intellikey