V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Does Snow Mode mean AWD all the time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-02-2008, 08:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
+1 to everything up above.

The Dunlops on the X Sport suck in the snow btw. We got a little snow, and they are godawful.
I have read this, but I haven't seen or felt it yet. I easily had more traction than the other drivers on the road during my limited testing in low-moderate snow. Car felt pretty good.

If I can get by for 1 winter with these tires I would be most happy, if not I will invest in a set of snow tires. Time will tell, but so far they are hardly terrible or unsafe. Deep snow will be the test.

Old 12-02-2008, 08:46 PM
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I actually just finished reading the 11 pages on R & T and watching the vids. It was a good read. Thanks
It is a pretty decent article (though dated). Your welcome.

Some of the ratings are interesting, but I think the 07, 08 G has closed the gap big time.

Last edited by chapter29; 12-02-2008 at 08:50 PM.
Old 12-02-2008, 08:51 PM
Received 36 Likes on 33 Posts
I was surprised the G came in 6 out of 7, I thought it would do better than that.

Old 12-02-2008, 09:15 PM
+1 to everything up above.

The Dunlops on the X Sport suck in the snow btw. We got a little snow, and they are godawful.
Janik, give hullio a call and ask him about AS tires and winters

Old 12-02-2008, 10:57 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by chapter29
I have read this, but I haven't seen or felt it yet. I easily had more traction than the other drivers on the road during my limited testing in low-moderate snow. Car felt pretty good.

If I can get by for 1 winter with these tires I would be most happy, if not I will invest in a set of snow tires. Time will tell, but so far they are hardly terrible or unsafe. Deep snow will be the test.
My dad has no intentions of buying snow tires for this car, so i will just have to get by. Its not all bad. Just cant go driving in some parking lot with a foot+.

Old 12-02-2008, 10:58 PM
-MN G Crew-

Janik, give hullio a call and ask him about AS tires and winters
lol i bet its a lot better. My dad is to cheap to get snows though for this car with the amount of snow we get. haha

If it was my car, i'd have WS-60s on it

Old 12-03-2008, 03:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here is a little diagram about the system we have.
[IMG][/IMG]
tg

Old 12-03-2008, 03:11 AM
I was surprised the G came in 6 out of 7, I thought it would do better than that.

They tested the 1 st generation sedan not the second. They don't give much credit to a car been on the market for few years.

tg

Old 12-03-2008, 06:17 PM
My dad has no intentions of buying snow tires for this car, so i will just have to get by. Its not all bad. Just cant go driving in some parking lot with a foot+.
Its funny because we are getting some snow today and we hit a pretty slippery patch and I noticed a truck next to me slipping pretty badly (rwd) on take off and I gave it a pretty good amount of pedal. The slip light came on very briefly and I took off very quickly.

Again, fairly light snow fall so far (1-2 in), but not a problem whatsoever and I have been able to take off faster (more traction, I am not trying to race of course) than most. And yes, I do understand the need to actually stop as well.

I am anxious for some deep snow for the real test. Hard for me to say that as I hate snow, but its fun to test. It would be much less fun if I was slip sliding all over the place and had to buy a set of snow tires for ~$800 right before xmas.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by tg1234
They tested the 1 st generation sedan not the second. They don't give much credit to a car been on the market for few years.

tg
Yep that's right. The 1st gen was not that great of a car it appears. I would love to see the exact same test with current model cars. The G would do quite well in that group. A much more refined vehicle.

The reason why I added it was purely about the behavior of the AWD system which I would gather is the same.

Old 12-03-2008, 06:45 PM
-MN G Crew-

Its funny because we are getting some snow today and we hit a pretty slippery patch and I noticed a truck next to me slipping pretty badly (rwd) on take off and I gave it a pretty good amount of pedal. The slip light came on very briefly and I took off very quickly.

Again, fairly light snow fall so far (1-2 in), but not a problem whatsoever and I have been able to take off faster (more traction, I am not trying to race of course) than most. And yes, I do understand the need to actually stop as well.

I am anxious for some deep snow for the real test. Hard for me to say that as I hate snow, but its fun to test. It would be much less fun if I was slip sliding all over the place and had to buy a set of snow tires for ~$800 right before xmas.
It takes off okay, but stops and turns like its on an ice skating rink.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:07 PM
It takes off okay, but stops and turns like its on an ice skating rink.
Clearly important, but I disagree at this point of my testing. Stopping and turning are not anymore of an issue than what I was used to with my Max. My Max has very good all season tires that are rated very well (I love them too) in the snow.

I just don't see a big issue so far. Clearly could have better traction (take off, stopping, turning) with good snow tires, but so far very doable. Not this big deal like I had been reading.

I have owned cars that have performed much much worse in the snow. I had the very worst with my Camero which was pretty powerful and had summer tires on it. That was a death trap in the snow and for the most part I was fearful of a spin out on every turn. This AWD car and its Sportmax tires are a far cry away from that.

Old 12-03-2008, 07:28 PM
Clearly important, but I disagree at this point of my testing. Stopping and turning are not anymore of an issue than what I was used to with my Max. My Max has very good all season tires that are rated very well (I love them too) in the snow.

I just don't see a big issue so far. Clearly could have better traction (take off, stopping, turning) with good snow tires, but so far very doable. Not this big deal like I had been reading.

I have owned cars that have performed much much worse in the snow. I had the very worst with my Camero which was pretty powerful and had summer tires on it. That was a death trap in the snow and for the most part I was fearful of a spin out on every turn. This AWD car and its Sportmax tires are a far cry away from that.
I think you answered it yourself. It is doable with what you got, although it could be much better with winters. Then you are comparing your AWD with A/S tires to your other car a V8 Camaro with summer tires that you drove in the snow .

Old 12-03-2008, 07:40 PM
Snowing quite a bit in Wisconsin, and i can tell you the only problem i have with this car on the snow, is stopping. When i turn it's fine, if i turn fast i fishtail but the car is so good at catching it.

Old 12-03-2008, 08:18 PM
Originally Posted by Csquared
Snowing quite a bit in Wisconsin, and i can tell you the only problem i have with this car on the snow, is stopping. When i turn it's fine, if i turn fast i fishtail but the car is so good at catching it.
+1, they are awesome in the snow. I just love driving in the white stuff with mine

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does Snow Mode mean AWD all the time?