V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Does Snow Mode mean AWD all the time?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2008, 11:27 PM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
Snowing quite a bit in Wisconsin, and i can tell you the only problem i have with this car on the snow, is stopping. When i turn it's fine, if i turn fast i fishtail but the car is so good at catching it.
Do you have the A/S?

BTW i see your in Madison. Thats only 5 hours away from the cities. You should consider coming out to one of our bigger meets next summer.

Just a thought.

Old 12-03-2008, 11:54 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
yeah I'm running all season, Yeah i would consider that, 5 hours is a long drive so if there is a big one i'll do it, there is basically no one in madison with a 2nd gen G who cares enough to have a meet, and I only know of one guy who has a g37 hahaha.

Old 12-04-2008, 06:38 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GEE35X
I think you answered it yourself. It is doable with what you got, although it could be much better with winters. Then you are comparing your AWD with A/S tires to your other car a V8 Camaro with summer tires that you drove in the snow .
Nope not comparing, just stating that I have seen much much worse. That Camaro is not my other car, my other car is a 02 Max. My Camaro that I learned my lesson with was 10 plus years ago.

I am slowly answering my question yes. My question is can I get by with A/S tires on my AWD car in Milw winter. The answer so far is yes, but in reading these forums it makes it seem like these tires are a deathtrap in snow (ie my reflection on when I had my Camaro being a much closer comparison to that). This car with these tires drives decently so far with the snow we have had and in fact seems better than my Max which has pretty good tires (I bought them because of their great snow rating on tire rack). Of course it could be better, but lets be clear snow and ice are slippery no matter the tire.

Old 12-04-2008, 02:03 PM
Thanks for the articles and responses. I notice that even without Snow Mode, the X does provide good traction when taking off although at greater throttle sensitivity. Couple times I've felt the quick automatic correction when driving over a patch of ice. I am going to keep testing to familiarize with the car AWD capability.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:29 AM
-MN G Crew-

Received 205 Likes on 157 Posts
Originally Posted by Csquared
yeah I'm running all season, Yeah i would consider that, 5 hours is a long drive so if there is a big one i'll do it, there is basically no one in madison with a 2nd gen G who cares enough to have a meet, and I only know of one guy who has a g37 hahaha.
Definatly consider it, also check out the midwest section and chime in in the MN chat thread.

Old 12-05-2008, 12:46 AM
For what its worth and not really the right thread, but I will add that the all season tires Dunlop Sportmax tires have not been terrible thus far in snow. I would rate them so so, but so far doable. Tested in light snow and about 4 inches or so. Still evaluating whether to buy snow tires. I will say that I thought the snow mode seemed fairly effective.[/QUOTE]
Try Nokian all season. I had them for my J30 before and they were great in the snow. When i need to replace my current tires on the X, i will definetely consider Nokian again.

Old 12-05-2008, 06:25 AM
Originally Posted by luckylocky
For what its worth and not really the right thread, but I will add that the all season tires Dunlop Sportmax tires have not been terrible thus far in snow. I would rate them so so, but so far doable. Tested in light snow and about 4 inches or so. Still evaluating whether to buy snow tires. I will say that I thought the snow mode seemed fairly effective.
Try Nokian all season. I had them for my J30 before and they were great in the snow. When i need to replace my current tires on the X, i will definetely consider Nokian again.[/QUOTE]

My concern is this....

I have 18's on the car right now with new rubber.

If I buy Blizzacks or whatever for snow I would like to make my 18" my winter tires and go for some 19-20's with good summer tires. That means unfortunately that I would waste the current tires for the most part and in a sense be forced to buy new rims and tires right away in summer. Granted I could just swap the rubber on the 18's, but who wants to do that?

So rather than do that I would prefer to get by this winter if its safe to do so and get some performance upgrades like exhaust, intake, what have you first, then worry about wheels and tires. Plus then at least there will be some wear on this rubber before I change.

Plus the wife is like we bought an AWD car in WI with A/S tires and they wont work in winter?

Old 12-15-2008, 11:53 PM
Originally Posted by Wannabe6MT
BTW i see your in Madison. Thats only 5 hours away from the cities.
For you maybe.

From my daughter's apartment on University Ave to a meeting at a hotel in Edina - 3 hours and 58 minutes elapsed time on the drive computer.

However with the snow this week I've been working the car just to learn how it handles. I was able to beat most vehicles off the line. All of the systems meant to keep the car on the road work well, and you can feel the car right itself when you get the rear to swing out.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:11 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So 4 hours huh? Guess I'll really look into this Summer, Remember to let me know about the MEETS!!!!!

Old 12-16-2008, 12:20 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
for once i wished i had an AWD this past week. I work 3rd shift and woke up to a thick heavy wet snow falling at 6pm.

at 8 pm when i left there was 2.5" on the ground and a serious slushy mix on the roads. (salt trucks are slow to respond in the south). i got into work fine, just drove cautiously and kept the speeds down.

when i came out at 7am @ 25degrees, the roads where a solid black/white ice with pure thick ice/snow layer on the outer portions of the road. i could at no time, put more than 35% throttle down. and i got a constant pulling sensation from the rear as it grabbed and slipped going down that road(my camber might of caused this). it actually had the rear moving back and forth an inch or two(gives the gut feeling of an imminent spin out). I had to cross three on-ramp bridges that had a sharp turn, upward ascent, and downward angle around the curve. all i can say is, its absolute HELL trying to balance your speed/power to get up a hill around a curve while tilted at an angle.......it snows only a handful of times here(mid-tn), and i got caught with the lo profile summer tires on during a serious ice/snow event. AWD FTW in northern climates!

Old 12-20-2008, 01:10 AM
14-15 inches snow storm. Tested the Xs AS tires.

I got around fairly well on the unplowed side streets. Did not get stuck, though I did have to rock it once to get out of some seriously deep snow from a stop.

I thought the tires grip was so-so, but all 4 tires churning was very effective.

People were getting stuck everywhere and I probably helped push out 6 cars. One old man with a rear wheel drive 80's boat who apparently couldn't hear very well, but that's another story. Took forever.

I would most certainly recommend snow tires, but these tires will get me through this winter for sure. Next winder I will buy some nice snow tires and I can't wait for the 1st deep snow. An X with nice snow tires must be fantastic in snow.