V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Car barely drivable, no power, barely moves

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-15-2009, 02:05 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Car barely drivable, no power, barely moves

So I've had my 2007 G35 Sport 6MT for about a month now and have had no problems. I drove it somewhere today and it went fine. So I get in it to drive home and I'm behind this guy going really slowly, I'm in 3rd gear going about 40 and I go to pass him, but the car doesn't accelerate. I floored it and the engine just got louder, but the RPMs didn't increase and the car didn't accelerate, just stayed at about 40. So then I just tried driving it easy the rest of the way home, but I could hardly get up mild hills, and when going about 30 in 3rd, the car was shaking, like I was quickly tapping the gas and then letting off. Same story in 1st and 2nd gear as well, couldn't try anything higher than 3rd. I don't have any aftermarket parts that could be affecting this, this is all of a sudden, have not changed anything recently. The car was not overheating, the gas cap was on completely, I checked to make sure nothing was obstructing the air intakes and they were clear. PLEASE help me out guys, has anyone else experienced this? I'm FREAKING out, it's a brand new (to me) car, it's only got 20,000 miles on it, is there a scheduled maintenance that i need to have performed? Thanks guys.

Old 03-15-2009, 02:48 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ThirstyTurtle
So I've had my 2007 G35 Sport 6MT for about a month now and have had no problems. I drove it somewhere today and it went fine. So I get in it to drive home and I'm behind this guy going really slowly, I'm in 3rd gear going about 40 and I go to pass him, but the car doesn't accelerate. I floored it and the engine just got louder, but the RPMs didn't increase and the car didn't accelerate, just stayed at about 40. So then I just tried driving it easy the rest of the way home, but I could hardly get up mild hills, and when going about 30 in 3rd, the car was shaking, like I was quickly tapping the gas and then letting off. Same story in 1st and 2nd gear as well, couldn't try anything higher than 3rd. I don't have any aftermarket parts that could be affecting this, this is all of a sudden, have not changed anything recently. The car was not overheating, the gas cap was on completely, I checked to make sure nothing was obstructing the air intakes and they were clear. PLEASE help me out guys, has anyone else experienced this? I'm FREAKING out, it's a brand new (to me) car, it's only got 20,000 miles on it, is there a scheduled maintenance that i need to have performed? Thanks guys.
Seriously man, call the dealer and have them fix the problem. Also ask them to give you a loaner since this sounds 100% warranty. I think that they may also offer free towing if the car can't make it there on its own (Roadside Assistance program?). This is not stated explicitly but towing is "assisting you on the roadside", can't hurt to ask.

Last edited by rustyeleio; 03-15-2009 at 02:58 PM.
Old 03-15-2009, 02:52 PM
Received 41 Likes on 26 Posts
IMO just take it to the dealer and let them check it. Although i'm really puzzled as to what's going on with your car.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:02 PM
damn, I was hoping you guys would tell me I was just hitting the brakes instead of the gas or something, haha. I guess I'll just call the dealer tomorrow and try to get this worked out, thanks guys. I'll let you know the outcome.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:11 PM
damn, I was hoping you guys would tell me I was just hitting the brakes instead of the gas or something, haha. I guess I'll just call the dealer tomorrow and try to get this worked out, thanks guys. I'll let you know the outcome.

Maybe borrow a scanner tool to see if you have any codes showing. Still may not be able to fix it yourself but at least itwill let you sleep at night.

A pure guess but it sounds like a sensor somewhere is screwed up and is throwing your car into "limp mode". Or maybe the accelerator pedal position sensor. The problem is that I wouldn't even know where to tell you what to look for. Sorry dude, if it is a problem with the electronics, very difficult to "look" for something.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:14 PM
Ohio G Club moderator

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
id take it to a dealer..should be under warranty..if you fix yourself..could be your maf..maybe clogged injector..filter..id check a few things unless warranty covers this problem..doesnt sound major..ive had it happenn to me b4 as well,mine was due to clogged fuel injector...gl,just get some fuel system cleaner

Old 03-15-2009, 03:17 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Sounds like your clutch is slipping bad. But I'm kinda stumped b/c you said you have 20k miles on it....there is no way a clutch should go bad in 20k miles unless its been driven very hard.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
Sounds like your clutch is toast. What was your rpm doing when you mashed on the gas and the car didn't go faster but the engine was roaring? If it went up, I would say the clutch is slipping.

Old 03-15-2009, 03:33 PM
Ohio G Club moderator

but if his clutch was slipping wouldnt the rpms go up?..i wouldnt know i have an at but it would make sense

Old 03-15-2009, 03:41 PM
nah, don't think it's the clutch because the RPMs didn't move, just stayed where they were, bounced a little like they wanted to go up but couldn't. can Autozone check my code to diagnose a bad sensor?

Old 03-15-2009, 03:42 PM
Ohio G Club moderator

they should be able to..not sure though..should all be covered under warranty,take it to infiniti

Old 03-15-2009, 03:46 PM
Yup, you definitely don't want to risk doing anything that could void the warranty or make it look like you caused the problem. The scanner is just to be nosy.

Old 03-15-2009, 08:09 PM
why do you have such an aversion to a dealership...that problem doesnt sound like something that you take to your corner auto parts store to fix. sit in a waiting room and let the dealership take care of what sounds like a warranty issue.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:55 PM
Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
Ignore my previous post, I didn't read your post carefully.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:56 PM
exact thing happened to me; car wouldnt accelerate past 20, engine reved as if in neutral with shudders, etc.

the transmission was destroyed, dealer replaced it with no questions except "did you replace the transmission fluid with a non-nissan-certified fluid?" (no)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Car barely drivable, no power, barely moves