V36 General Tech Questions Questions and Posts that Do Not fit under the other Tech catagories

Oil leaking?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-16-2010, 03:41 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Oil leaking?

Just performed my 15k oil change last week, nothing too eventful. Rhino ramps, Bosch filter, Chevron dino 5W30

Left the car in the garage over the weekend and driving out Monday, noticed a large puddle of engine oil (likely half a quart). I pulled the car outside, let it cool down, and verified there was no shortage via the dip stick (it showed just short of the H level)

I drain my oil pan using a Fram SureDrain, so I don't have to remove the drain plug everytime. I looked under the vehicle and there was no oil to be seen in the plastic plate/sheet. The engine top cap looked fine as well, so it wasn't loose and spewing oil everywhere.

Perhaps the filter itself isn't seated properly...but then the underplating looked clean

I parked the car outside overnight and will see if a new puddle forms, but this is very odd...

Old 09-16-2010, 11:45 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ could have been a spill, if the dipstick level is fine and the under tray has no signs of leaking oil then you should be fine, but to be safe keep checking the oil level for another couple of days after you let the car sit for about 5-10mins after a drive.

Old 09-17-2010, 04:32 AM
Originally Posted by kool_yaar
^ could have been a spill, if the dipstick level is fine and the under tray has no signs of leaking oil then you should be fine, but to be safe keep checking the oil level for another couple of days after you let the car sit for about 5-10mins after a drive.
Good call, will do!

Old 09-28-2010, 09:39 AM
Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts
any update? this really does sound like a random spillage. although i will share a story about my ex girlfriend's car....

i personally hate the fram sure-drain because i think it's slow and that silly hose is always messy. i use fumoto valves exclusively on all my cars. well i had installed one in my ex's mitsubishi and one day she started leaking oil. long story short the valve had been in the oil pan for about 2 years and began to corrode at the threads. i had to remove it and use a tap to properly reform the oil pan threads so it would accept a new bolt and not leak. was a real pain in the *** because a thin layer of brass (or whatever all those plugs/valves are made of) had bonded to the threads of the oil pan. so it wouldn't hurt to put some anti-seize or something on those threads when you install it.

just my two cents.

Old 10-02-2010, 12:05 AM
Thanks for sharing your experiences with the Fumoto, RemmyZero. I've been pretty fortunate with the SureDrain -- I installed it on the rest of my family's cars, and haven't had any issues with all four.

I read reviews of it being slow to drain, but it acts as a precautionary measure in case I miss capturing the outflow into my trusty recycle bottle.

Back to the point, no, I observed things for a week, but didn't observe any more oil missing or puddles building up, so it may have well been a spill.

Old 10-02-2010, 03:44 PM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
^ glad to hear that, the last thing we want is for more ppl to be having any engine issues.

Old 10-03-2010, 08:28 AM
Received 73 Likes on 67 Posts
So you observed new oil puddling or old? I know when using my fumoto drain, it can get really messy sometimes because I don't use a drain tube to it.