V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

fog light recommendation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2007, 04:37 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
fog light recommendation

Any 07 G35 sedan owner replace the fog light with PIAA Xtreme White 9006?

Is it pretty white and match stock HID?

If you replace it with other type of bulb, I love to know how much you like it too. Any pic at night would be great!

Old 05-24-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts
i don't know if this helps, but i have an 06 coupe, and i have replaced the stock fogs with many different kinds of bulbs. i ended up using sylvania silverstars and i would have to say they are the closest in color to the stock hid headlights. they are not yellow, blue, or purple, but very very white. imo, the look the best, and i even noticed a brighter light pattern on the road with them.

Old 05-24-2007, 05:20 PM
Originally Posted by HungNg85
Any 07 G35 sedan owner replace the fog light with PIAA Xtreme White 9006?

Is it pretty white and match stock HID?

If you replace it with other type of bulb, I love to know how much you like it too. Any pic at night would be great!
It's not worth it... you won't get all that close to the HID with the halogen bulbs.

I installed HID fogs the other day and they're much, much better than the stock halogen bulbs, of course.

-- yeah yeah, this thread is worthless without pictures, I know... --

http://photos.viguera.net/images/A_0...0019_2ced4.jpg

Best I could do at night... the camera was getting the CRAP blinded out of it by the fogs...

http://photos.viguera.net/images/A_0...0023_674d4.jpg

I have 10k 9006 HID fogs and the stock 4300 d2s bulbs on the headlights. I'm not sure if I wanna go all 4300 or all 10k yet, because the stock looks nice and bright but 10k looks whiter.

Last edited by viguera; 05-24-2007 at 05:30 PM.
Old 05-24-2007, 06:18 PM
Originally Posted by speedracerg35
i don't know if this helps, but i have an 06 coupe, and i have replaced the stock fogs with many different kinds of bulbs. i ended up using sylvania silverstars and i would have to say they are the closest in color to the stock hid headlights. they are not yellow, blue, or purple, but very very white. imo, the look the best, and i even noticed a brighter light pattern on the road with them.
i'm with you. sylvania silverstars are a great halogen bulb... definitely not gimmicky and a nice balance between whiteness and lumens. i use one on my bike, actually.

Old 05-24-2007, 06:22 PM
Originally Posted by viguera
I have 10k 9006 HID fogs and the stock 4300 d2s bulbs on the headlights. I'm not sure if I wanna go all 4300 or all 10k yet, because the stock looks nice and bright but 10k looks whiter.
it's beneficial to have a yellower fog. better with preventing too much dispersion in fog... the bluer the light, the more dispersion/refraction. that's why a lot of halogen fogs (PIAA, etc) are almost yellow.

Old 05-24-2007, 08:02 PM
Originally Posted by Altersys
it's beneficial to have a yellower fog. better with preventing too much dispersion in fog... the bluer the light, the more dispersion/refraction. that's why a lot of halogen fogs (PIAA, etc) are almost yellow.
Yeah I know. The HIDs are crap in the fog, and halogen yellow/golden yellow work best.

With that said, I've never - not once - actually driven into a fog bank, or fog so thick that visibility was less than 1/2 or 3/4 mile. I figured I haven't and if I do I got bigger problems, so off with the halogens. :-)

Old 05-24-2007, 08:38 PM
hehe. i live in the SF bay area. try driving across the golden gate early in the morning

Old 05-24-2007, 10:21 PM
hows the cutoff on those HID fogs with the Xenon in the halgon enclosure? and why not get the 3000k for fog thats what i plan on doin.. little bit more blue on the headlights and yellow on the fogs

Old 05-24-2007, 10:25 PM
Originally Posted by 07ivory6MT
hows the cutoff on those HID fogs with the Xenon in the halgon enclosure? and why not get the 3000k for fog thats what i plan on doin.. little bit more blue on the headlights and yellow on the fogs
that's a good question, because reflectors/projectors that are designed for one type of bulb are not generally designed for the other type. HID sources have different point-source characteristics than the line-source halogens and vice-versa.

hence, changing from one type of bulb to another can lead to less than ideal results. doesnt mean it will, but it can and often does.

Old 05-25-2007, 02:03 AM
Well i mean the HID conversion kits work fine and will produce crazy amounts of bright light.. the way they generally work on factory equipped vehicles is with projectors that are shielded for a cut off point.. if you drive you G or any other HID factory equipped vehicle to a flat (light colored preferably) wall (ie garage, house etc) theres a distinct cut off point to reduce glare into opposing drivers eyes..

now with halogens, that isn't the case.. they're not particularly directed but being less luminous they're not as offensive even though they cause quite a bit of glare as opposed to properly angled HID Xenon lights.

I was just curious as to what kind of cutoff the fogs were causing, would be nice if you could have just the fogs on and no headlights on the G.. but being a different color, I'm sure he could see the difference. I'm all for the HID Foglight mod, as long as its not used to blind other drivers. Still very VERY disappointed the G doesn't have REAL fogs like any other car, they should be lower on the bumper

I was planning on higher kelvin D2s bulbs for my Headlights and Yellow halogens or 3k HID for my fogs... a nice Blue/Yellow JDM mix

Old 05-25-2007, 02:08 AM
Originally Posted by viguera
Also keep in mind.. HID d2r d2s etc increase in kelvin temp over time.. So let those 10k warm in a bit before you decide how white they are

Old 05-25-2007, 10:00 AM
Well i mean the HID conversion kits work fine and will produce crazy amounts of bright light.. the way they generally work on factory equipped vehicles is with projectors that are shielded for a cut off point.. if you drive you G or any other HID factory equipped vehicle to a flat (light colored preferably) wall (ie garage, house etc) theres a distinct cut off point to reduce glare into opposing drivers eyes..

now with halogens, that isn't the case.. they're not particularly directed but being less luminous they're not as offensive even though they cause quite a bit of glare as opposed to properly angled HID Xenon lights.

I was just curious as to what kind of cutoff the fogs were causing, would be nice if you could have just the fogs on and no headlights on the G.. but being a different color, I'm sure he could see the difference. I'm all for the HID Foglight mod, as long as its not used to blind other drivers. Still very VERY disappointed the G doesn't have REAL fogs like any other car, they should be lower on the bumper

I was planning on higher kelvin D2s bulbs for my Headlights and Yellow halogens or 3k HID for my fogs... a nice Blue/Yellow JDM mix
I was concerned about the fog housing too, but you'd be surprised how well they look. And yes, you can definitely see a difference between the more yellowish 4300 and the white-blueish 10k after you turn them on. They're not scattered all over the place and they seem to be like the fogs, only MUCH brighter. I'm not blinding anybody -- or at least I don't think I am -- but visibility is improved significantly.

I'll see if I can get some good night shots of fogs on/off. The last time I tried they just didn't come out well. The camera tries to compensate for it being dark out and you can't really see all that well.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:03 AM
Also keep in mind.. HID d2r d2s etc increase in kelvin temp over time.. So let those 10k warm in a bit before you decide how white they are
So 10k will end up looking more blue-ish? If so then I'll probably go with 8k all around and call it a day.

I guess I should wait and see.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
I won't go with HID due to cost. Plus if I change to HID I want the projector as well which is more costly and difficult to do.

I rarely encounter foggy condition in my area. For me it's cosmetics reason rather than performance. I go with anything white to match with low/high beam HID.
Anybody tries the led in the fog housing? I see this when I check out PIAA bulbs

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...oducts_id=1403

Old 05-25-2007, 10:40 AM
Originally Posted by HungNg85
I won't go with HID due to cost. Plus if I change to HID I want the projector as well which is more costly and difficult to do.

I rarely encounter foggy condition in my area. For me it's cosmetics reason rather than performance. I go with anything white to match with low/high beam HID.
Anybody tries the led in the fog housing? I see this when I check out PIAA bulbs

http://www.automotivelightingusa.com...oducts_id=1403
Holy crap is that one bulb or two? Because you can probably get a retrofit HID 9006 kit for less...

And I feel you on the projector... I definitely would have liked to go that route too, but that'd be a lot more work. Custom fabricating the housing to fit a projector in there, and there's not a whole lot of room compared to the main bulb...

But I figure if in the future somebody does it, I already have all the HID stuff and it's just a matter of doing the projector work without getting the ballasts, bulbs, etc.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: fog light recommendation