V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

I Installed A Factory Style Spoiler for $108

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2008, 05:10 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Talking I Installed A Factory Style Spoiler for $108

I bought a painted factory style spoiler on EBay for $108 shipped from seller "thespoilerstore." It was pretty easy for me to install myself once I got over the fear of drilling into my trunk. It was definitely a lot cheaper than the $800 or so my local dealer wanted to install an OEM spoiler. This looks pretty much the same and the paint match was very good. Here's a quick step-by-step...

1. Tape the marking strips to the bottom of spoiler lined up with the holes in the spoiler. Place the spoiler on the trunk until it is lined up well. Then tape those strips onto the trunk and remove the spoiler.

2. Make sure the holes on the marking strips line up with the access holes on the inside of the trunk lid. You have to remove the liner first.

3. Drill the holes with a 2/32 bit for a pilot hole, then 9/32 for the real holes. There's also another hole to drill for the wiring from the LED brake light on the spoiler's left post. I put a little primer on all the holes to prevent rusting.

4. Thread the wire through and bolt the spoiler in place with 2 bolts using Phillips screwdriver.

5. Feed the wire down into the trunk and splice it into the rear left brake light wiring. I fed the wire through the rubber wire covering on the left side of the trunk and then under the rubber gasket that goes around the whole trunk to get it into the left side of the trunk. There are 4 wires going to the brake and the power for the brake is the very light green one (almost white). The ground for the brake is the red one. On my spoiler, the power wire is white and the ground has the blue stripe.

It took me about 2 hours total, but it was first time I every installed spoiler or drilled a car and I was taking it very slow to line up everything and figure out all the wiring. I could probably do it in less than 1 hour if I did it again. I left the rear deck high brake light wired, so I now have 2 center brake lights. My buddy drove around behind me says it looks nice, so I'll leave it wire. You disconnect the rear deck brake light if you so desire. Previously, I didn't see any of my trunk through the rear view mirror, so I always guessed where the rear of my car was when backing into a parking space (no tech package in my 07). Now I can see the spoiler and have a sense of where the back of my trunk is as I go in reverse.

It's been raining, so I took all the photos inside my garage and I don't have a wide shot.

Last edited by G35MD; 01-27-2008 at 06:16 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 05:11 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Good job, the paint does look a little different toned though.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by Nismo86
Good job, the paint does look a little different toned though.
It's probably the lighting in my garage. The spoiler is at a different plane than the trunk, so it looks a bit different in the photo. In person, I see only very slight difference in the shade and no difference in the sun. You'll never get perfect paint match with any body work, but I was very please with this one. I bet it would even be harder to notice on a black or blue slate car.

Old 01-27-2008, 05:20 PM
Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
good job

Old 01-27-2008, 05:21 PM
Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
you should disable the LED in the car since you now have one on the spoiler.

looks good - great deal!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Very nice!

Old 01-27-2008, 05:28 PM
Received 66 Likes on 40 Posts
looks nice +1 on disabling the inside led

Old 01-27-2008, 09:59 PM
Looks good. Agreed, unplug window lights.

Old 01-28-2008, 03:09 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by EWG35

+1 on that, i'll be doing it when i recieve and install my spoiler.

Old 01-28-2008, 08:50 PM
Originally Posted by EWG35
Just my personal preference, but I like it with the two center lights. Anything to guy tailgating me in a pickup with lousy brakes will help...

Old 01-29-2008, 02:07 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Can you take a pic with the car outside the garage? Want to see if in direct sunlight. I have the exact color and thinking of getting the same spoiler from ebay as well.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
Originally Posted by G35MD
Just my personal preference, but I like it with the two center lights. Anything to guy tailgating me in a pickup with lousy brakes will help...
i guess more led's may be safer than less, especially in low visibility conditions.. but i don't think it will make any difference to tailgaters

imo, it looks tacky and takes away from the car's clean appearance when you are driving.

the spoiler looks good though

Old 01-29-2008, 10:18 PM
I believe in CA you are only allowed 3 rear tail (Brake lights)lights, you might what to check to be on the safe side. Heard a guy mentioned it before when he got the dealer to install an oem one. And they informed him of them that they had to disconnect one of them.

I could be wrong but I would just check.

Old 01-30-2008, 07:37 PM
disconnected rear parcel shelf brake light // photos outdoors

Originally Posted by celwin
Can you take a pic with the car outside the garage? Want to see if in direct sunlight. I have the exact color and thinking of getting the same spoiler from ebay as well.
I disconnected the rear parcel shelf brake light, it was a pain in the a$$ to get to. I took a couple of fasteners off the top trunk liner, that covers the cd changer. The harness for the brake light is between the cd changer and the amps. I reached 1 hand in there and after 5 minutes of fumbling aroung with it, I was able to disconnect it. If I want to reconnect, I'll have to move the cd changer out of the way for access.

These shots were taken with an overcast sky. It stopped raining around here, but still a little cloudy. I think the color match is very good and I have to stare at it and imagine a difference to see one. You definitely don't notice a color difference driving by on the road. I've had about 15-20 friends and co-workers look at my install and no one has mentioned the color looking off.

Last edited by G35MD; 01-30-2008 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 03:08 AM
Bought one off ebay a few weeks ago. Took about 2 weeks to get it, and just started the install yesterday. Finished the brake light off today since I had more time and I have to say what a pain it really was. Spliced into the two wires as the OP stated, then just used some electrical tape to tie them all together. I wasn't able to get the wire from the trunk lid through the black piece of rubber, so its just hanging on with some twist ties. WHAT A PAIN!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I Installed A Factory Style Spoiler for $108