V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

I just removed one of my exterior mirror covers to make way for LED signals.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-07-2008 | 11:55 PM
|
Talking I just removed one of my exterior mirror covers to make way for LED signals.

It was easier than I thought. I removed my exterior mirror cover, the painted part.
There are two tabs inside the mirror. My tabs were red, the color of my car, when everything else was black. I used a long needle nose plier to first compress each of the red tabs and then I pushed the tab towards the front of the car. The painted shell just popped off.

I ordered LED signal mirrors that are supposed to fit right back onto the mirror by replacing the cover or shell.

Now that I can remove the shell or cover, I just need to find a "Hot" turn signal wire and bring it up to the LEDs.

I will post my results.

Old 04-08-2008 | 02:29 AM
Are you getting the JDM ones?

I wish there were more options. Personally, I like a slim one right in the middle or at the bottom (where the black part is for our cars).

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:41 AM
|
I haven't received them yet but soon.

This is what I purchased. I expect to see them next week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...4513QQtcZphoto

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:55 AM
Looks interesting. I know Scootch and GForce were doing these mirrors for the coupes a while back.

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:43 AM
|
I haven't found many for the Sedan.

Originally Posted by Hi-Tech_G
Looks interesting. I know Scootch and GForce were doing these mirrors for the coupes a while back.
I saw that but I needed them for my sedan. I do think that the G35 07+ sedan, G37 and the newer M series all have the same mirrors.

Old 04-08-2008 | 11:21 AM
ckp
If your mirror mod turns out sucessful you should DEFINITELY do a DIY with pictures and stuff

Old 04-08-2008 | 12:54 PM
That looks pretty good, actually.
Let us know how you like it after the install!

Old 04-08-2008 | 09:51 PM
Can't wait to see pictures

Old 04-08-2008 | 10:55 PM
nice.... post pics when you're done.... When i get my car out the shop, i'd be willing to try this if yours come out ok....

Old 04-09-2008 | 12:18 AM
I hope they send you both sides

Originally Posted by Replayray
This is what I purchased. I expect to see them next week.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/07-08...4513QQtcZphoto
If you look at the auction listing carefully, it says mirror cover (singular) throughout. I hope you get a pair and that the seller is not expecting you to order 2. Did you get the painting service? Let us know how paint matching works out. The seller states a location of Kaohsiung, Japan, but that's actually the second largest city in Taiwan and is NOT in Japan. If they don't even know where they are, will they be a reliable seller?

Old 04-09-2008 | 01:29 AM
The seller has 1710 feedbacks with 99.7% being positive, so I'm pretty sure they're reliable. Shipping seemed rather steep, but it is a complete replacement housing, not just a simple "stick on", so international shipping for $42 does seem about right. Oh, and the listing does explicitly list "pair (including left and right side)". Like the others, I am VERY interested and pics and a DIY.

Old 04-09-2008 | 10:13 AM
|
I agree. The high postitive feedback helped me make the decision.
The body of the auctions does state "pair".

I have exchanged email with the vendor and it appears that they sell a lot of different models for different cars. They also appeared at Sima.

I didn't elect to have them paint the shells. I have a local vendor that painted my grill and roof wing. They both came out great.

Besides, I wanted to dry fit them first before they were painted.

Old 04-09-2008 | 09:23 PM
Interesting.. I wish the lights were a little more flush, and perhaps alot slimmer. Should make for an interesting project nonetheless.. keep us posted!

Old 04-09-2008 | 11:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by Comatose
Interesting.. I wish the lights were a little more flush, and perhaps alot slimmer. Should make for an interesting project nonetheless.. keep us posted!
I had the same thought. I did wish that the lights were more flush but then I realized that you wouldn't see the light from the side unless it was raised a little. There just isn't enough painted shell to carry the light to the side.

My goal is to let the lane next to me see that I have my blinkers on and that I plan to move over.
Hey, modding is just a hobby. I can always put the original shell back on if it doesn't work out.

Old 04-10-2008 | 02:20 AM
i just got these same slights from the same buyer..

received a pair in the mail.. painted white.. not IP .. just white..

so they are in the paint shop getting painted.. also the chrome where the LEDs sit is kinda flashy for me.. i want a more subtle look.. so im prolly going to paint the inside white too.. and that way it blends more..

either that or smoke it w/ vinyl a little bit.. but yea.. i will decide once it comes back from paint.

will post pics when done =)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just removed one of my exterior mirror covers to make way for LED signals.