V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

I just removed one of my exterior mirror covers to make way for LED signals.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:40 AM
|
Were you able to remove the lights from the cover? It looks like it has a screw that holds it into the shell.
Have you looked for turn signal wiring? I didn't find any turn signal hot wires inside the mirror. I guess that I will need to remove the door panel and possibly get under the dash.

Old 04-10-2008 | 09:44 AM
|
Originally Posted by razo168
i just got these same slights from the same buyer..

received a pair in the mail.. painted white.. not IP .. just white..

so they are in the paint shop getting painted.. also the chrome where the LEDs sit is kinda flashy for me.. i want a more subtle look.. so im prolly going to paint the inside white too.. and that way it blends more..

either that or smoke it w/ vinyl a little bit.. but yea.. i will decide once it comes back from paint.

will post pics when done =)

Did you ever consider cutting your original covers and installing the LEDs in them?

Old 04-10-2008 | 01:40 PM
i have not taken out the stock cover to swap it yet but i am sure there is wiring there.. reason being is because the factory Gs in Japan and other places, come stock with mirrors that have signals. There HAS to be a signal there.. turn on your turn signal and use test light and find it..

also i would not cut my factory one because i am scared later it is not aligned w/ the other side and then if i mess up, i have to buy new covers. I mind as well mess with the aftermarket ones since i got them..

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:19 PM
|
Originally Posted by razo168
i have not taken out the stock cover to swap it yet but i am sure there is wiring there.. reason being is because the factory Gs in Japan and other places, come stock with mirrors that have signals. There HAS to be a signal there.. turn on your turn signal and use test light and find it..

also i would not cut my factory one because i am scared later it is not aligned w/ the other side and then if i mess up, i have to buy new covers. I mind as well mess with the aftermarket ones since i got them..
I removed the drivers side cover and grounded my test light to the chasis. I then turned on the blinkers but I didn't find a hot wire.
I think that you and I need to compare notes. There is a mess of wires inside the mirror cover but I will attempt it again this weekend.

Let me know if you need moral support removing the cover. It is really easier than I thought and it snapped right back.

I really hope that we don't have to run wires from the dash through the door for blinkers. If you stumble on it first, let me know.

All the best,
Ray

Old 04-10-2008 | 08:36 PM
Grocery getter
Premier Member
I wonder if he makes them for the early sedans too. Have to go check this out.

Old 04-11-2008 | 12:09 AM
Premier Member
The factory side markers in Japan are in the fenders (like the middle east and soon to be released Euro versions). I'm pretty sure the available mirror-mount markers are aftermarket.

Last edited by terrycs; 04-11-2008 at 12:17 AM.
Old 04-11-2008 | 01:49 AM
hmmm interesting...

Old 04-11-2008 | 02:11 AM
Old 04-11-2008 | 07:54 AM
|
Originally Posted by terrycs
The factory side markers in Japan are in the fenders (like the middle east and soon to be released Euro versions). I'm pretty sure the available mirror-mount markers are aftermarket.
That's what I was thinking too so I don't have my hopes up for finding wires there already.
I wish I had a wiring diagram for the mirrors.
I wonder if there are service manuals that I can take a look at for the 2007+?

Old 04-11-2008 | 09:53 AM
Originally Posted by Replayray
That's what I was thinking too so I don't have my hopes up for finding wires there already.
Have a look at

https://g35driver.com/forums/faq-diy/200667-factory-service-manuals.html

Old 04-11-2008 | 09:55 AM
Premier Member
I'm almost positive there is a hot wire inside the fender to the turn signal, but haven't had time to take my fender liner apart to check for myself.

https://g35driver.com/forums/g35-sedan-v36-2007-08/146057-jdm-350gt-skyline-side-marker-lights.html

Also, there is another guy that did the mirror mod on his M in another forum. I'll try to find the info and see how he did it.

Originally Posted by Replayray

Old 04-11-2008 | 07:13 PM
|
Originally Posted by georgesa
I will spend hours reading this. What a terrific link. Thanks for posting this for us.

At first glance, there isn't any turn signal leads in the mirrors or in the fenders for side markers.
I need to spend more time with this manual and I will know for sure.

Old 04-21-2008 | 12:00 AM
|
Originally Posted by terrycs
I'm almost positive there is a hot wire inside the fender to the turn signal, but haven't had time to take my fender liner apart to check for myself.

https://g35driver.com/forums/showthread.php?t=146057

Also, there is another guy that did the mirror mod on his M in another forum. I'll try to find the info and see how he did it.
No wiring in the wheel well. I removed the wheel and liner. No harness at all.
I did finish the install by running wires from the rear tail lights up the door and into the mirror.

Old 04-21-2008 | 01:24 PM
stilll no pics yet?!

Old 04-21-2008 | 09:24 PM
|
Pics of the install

Originally Posted by ChOy BoY
stilll no pics yet?!
Yeah, I had been posting them on another thread.
https://g35driver.com/forums/v36-interior-exterior-lighting/216217-i-spent-day-installing-signal-mirrors-my-sedan.html

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: I just removed one of my exterior mirror covers to make way for LED signals.