V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Daytime Running Light aka DRL Set Up (US Models)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 09:49 PM
Banned
Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
are you talking about the actual fog light module or just a DRL relay?

Old 05-04-2009, 10:42 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
By the way Kev, Thanks for helping me install my electronic beep module two weeks ago. I STILL LOVE IT. I just turn on/off the alarm because the sound is so sweet to my ears. lol.

Anyways, thanks again Kev. Still wanna help me install my plenum spacer?

Old 05-04-2009, 11:01 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
militant02 - My G was an 08 (klossfam - first post in this thread)...It was last August, so my best details are captured above. The listings above are based on my 2008 G35xS - manufactured early Feb 2008:

Cut and terminate the medium blue w/silver wire
White w/silver >>>> Pin 87
Red w/silver wire >>>> Pin 85
negative terminal on the battery >>>> Pin 86
med blue w/ silver and white w/silver >>>> Pin 30
SWITCHED power connection >>>> Pin 87A

No guarantees that all the harness colors match over the course of a model year (you would assume they do)...Wiring schematics from the shop manual and a test light won't hurt...

Old 05-12-2009, 10:27 PM
questions before i dive in (sorry, long post)

just trying to double check before i install my module. i'm not nervous about the install but i want to be sure that i make the right connections. i also looked inside my IPDM and its the same as prech's.

i have an instruction sheet but it is for a '04 g35 coupe.
here what my instruction sheet says and what my relay looks like:

pin 30 -blue, high current fog light output to fog lights
pin 87a -red, for light input from IPDM
pin87 - instruction sheet says yellow but since mine doesn't have a yellow wire i'm assuming its the green wire, high current 12VDC switched power
pin 85 - black, kp technologies control module orange wire
pin 86 - white, high current 12VDC switched power

1. should i assume that the 86-88 pins in prech's picture with the blue/silver striped wire and the white/silver striped wire are both connected to the blue wire/pin30 on the kp relay? i'm guessing that these wires are actually supplying power to the fog lights?

2. the red wire/pin87a on the kp relay should be connected to the green/silver striped wire under the relay in prech's picture. this is the switched power source?

3. the green wire/pin 87 on the kp relay is connected to the white/silver striped wire coming from the IPDM? is the thick yellow wire in prech's picture the wire with the 15A fuse/fuse holder. the light blue/silver striped wire isn't used.

4. the black wire/pin 85 is connected to the red/silver striped wire in prech's picture. the only problem is that my instruction manual says that the black/pin 85 wire should be connected to the kp technologies control module orange wire. which pin from the kp relay is connected to the red/silver striped wire coming from the IPDM?

5. my manual says that pin 87 and pin 86 are high current 12VDC switched power. do both of them connect to a constant power source. i saw another post by accord freak where it looked like he connected pin 86 and 87 directly to the battery. is this correct?

also, the matrix decoder module is pretty straightforward except for the blue and green wires. does anyone have a picture of which sky blue and brown wires in the kick panel attaches to? is there anyway to download a service manual for this also?

sorry for the long post

Old 05-12-2009, 11:42 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
militant02 - prech and I weren't using KPs module, just a waterproof 30A Bosch style relay (pic below)...That may be some of the confusion. In the set up we did with the relay, 87A is for the switched power source but different connections than the KP Tech module...

Old 05-12-2009, 11:48 PM
Banned
the service manual can be downloaded at www.nicoclub.com/FSM/

Old 05-12-2009, 11:53 PM
Banned
You purchased an "independant fog light controller" not a "drl module". The fog light controller taps in to the communication bus at the BCM and controls the fog lights based on the switch position, independently of the low beams.

This thread is about installing a relay so that the fog lights are ALWAYS on, there is no way to shut them off. This particular thread does not deal with the BCM wires at all - download the service manual and you'll get more info on the wiring.

Old 05-14-2009, 05:15 PM
fog light module

i keep calling it a drl module out of habit because that how i plan on using my fogs. sorry for the confusion. klossfam, thanks for clearing up why my relay didn't match up with the pictures for this thread. i was trying to match everything wire by using your pictures as my main guide.

Last edited by militant02; 05-14-2009 at 05:20 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:00 AM
Originally Posted by militant02
just trying to double check before i install my module. i'm not nervous about the install but i want to be sure that i make the right connections. i also looked inside my IPDM and its the same as prech's.
Nothing to add that klossfam and Kevin/KPT haven't already mentioned, but just wanted to clarify my install was on an '08 sedan (but I would guess the '07 and '09 G37 sedan are identical)

Old 10-08-2009, 10:37 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
I am going to give this install a shot... ordered a relay from KPTech

Old 08-15-2011, 10:24 PM
I have a G35 Sedan 2007 ,Thank you guys for showed me that was a fuse box next to the battery under fender, one 10 amp fuse was bad and cause the intreruption power to my tellights and clock light. The deler hold my car one day to check the problem, and asked me for $150 each diagnostic , but they did't have time for my car so I took the car home and Google it. Thank you !!!! You saved me $300

Old 09-05-2011, 06:19 PM
Successfully installed this weekend on 08 G35x. Carefully follow the klossfam and prech instructions/pictures and check wire colors from relay. They may differ from instructions/pictures. Use the pin numbers to ensure correct connection to IPDM. Some wires aren't cut, just stripped in middle to add wire from relay. Getting to the IPDM requires battery removal along with the surrounding plastic trim. Getting to the switched power was tough - had to remove the bracket from the side of fender. Then the relay can be removed from the bracket and taken apart.

Old 11-26-2011, 06:53 PM
Received 127 Likes on 117 Posts
I should be doing soon! And adding HID to my running lights! I can't believe people haven't really done this!
There ÿôū go Wain!

Old 06-03-2014, 08:11 PM
Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
This is an amazing idea. I'm really jealous of you guys who were able to do it, I don't believe I have the technical know-how to pull this off. Thanks for the pics though

Old 08-24-2016, 07:17 PM
Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
Blinkers with DRL Mod

Question to anyone who has done this mod, Does the fog/drl light on stay on when a blinker on the same side as the DRL is used?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Daytime Running Light aka DRL Set Up (US Models)