V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Broke the arm rest latch

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-08-2009, 07:43 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Broke the arm rest latch

I did something uber stupid while making my weekly commute from work. First, setting the stage: my center armrest console is chuck-full of cables and other accessories (Garmin MSNDirect cable, Apple AV cable, cigarette lighter splitter, charger for my Blackberry, etc.). I am used to having this much stuff in there as I can usually tuck most of it in and the center console would close. However, if I decide to disturb the contents while driving (and talking on the phone) it would become nearly impossible to close the armrest. I generally would try and move the wires that appeared moved to the edges this way or that, push on the armrest several times and it would close. Yesterday, it wouldn't close and in my frustration I slammed the armrest a bit too hard and the locking piece broke off completely. Now, the armrest console does not close at all... I looked and it seems that the latch is a part of a larger assembly of the inner roof of the armrest, which can be removed (there are 5-6 screws or so), but I am not sure whether the dealer is the only option in this case. Did a search, and apparently no one has done this before - yet another first for me Fix ideas?

Old 08-08-2009, 07:52 AM
Staff ALUMNI (retired)
Received 47 Likes on 39 Posts
Sounds like replacement is your only option if you want it done right.
Don't be surprised if you have to buy the whole lid.

Old 08-08-2009, 03:47 PM
Originally Posted by InTgr8r
Sounds like replacement is your only option if you want it done right.
Don't be surprised if you have to buy the whole lid.
Unfortunately, you're right - just checked at the dealership, and I have to buy the entire lid. The cost: $169 + tax (has to be ordered) Don't think there is any way around it. Lesson learned.

EDIT: just found this on eBay: a console from an MT. The latch looks similar and if I remove/replace, will it fit?

Speaking of eBay, found two other 07+ consoles for sale, both with broken latches. Obviously it is a more common issue than I thought. Even the dealership parts guy knew right away what I needed, and said that ordering an entire console did not make sense to him either but "we don't make up the rules". These latches should be available without having to buy the entire lid. AFAIC this is yet another example how stealerships go out of their way to fleece the customer.

Last edited by dohturdima; 08-08-2009 at 04:22 PM.
Old 08-10-2009, 11:58 AM
Received 184 Likes on 159 Posts
i had a similar issue where my armrest wont close but NO broken latch or anything it just wouldnt close unless you slammed it, had the dealership replace under warranty over a year ago and all has been fine...

Old 08-10-2009, 01:39 PM
I will try to stop at my home dealership and maybe get them to fix it under warranty, but since my latch is broken off completely I'd say it's unlikely they'll do it. In any case, I already paid $100+ for the eBay AT console... it still amazes me that I had to buy the entire console just for a little piece of plastic.

Old 08-11-2009, 03:00 PM
This story has a happy ending: I took my car to my local dealership (Competition Infiniti of Smithtown) expecting very little, and the service manager just told me that they will replace it under warranty. 45 minutes later, I had a new latch + they managed to squeeze in a car wash - I made my morning meeting. A refreshingly different attitude than a nameles Brooklyn-based (cough... Sheepsheadbay... cough) dealership that wanted to sell me the entire console rather than move an inch to replace a tiny latch. I take back my broad generalization of "stealerships" - apparently, the term is to be selectively applied. Getting my eBay console purchase refunded sans auction and Ebay fees.

Little things like this are very big in my book - I am grateful to CI am certainly going to do business with them in the future.