V36 Interior, Exterior & Lighting Interior & Exterior - Tech, Modifications, Lighting, Gauges and More

Headlight High beam Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2019, 09:55 AM
Received 49 Likes on 46 Posts
Definitely could explain "why". I hate to say it, but this sounds like a hack job. The headlights are now controlled by the fog light control ? The headlight switch is now effectively a DRL control.

Old 06-28-2019, 10:01 PM
BANNED!!!

Received 2,456 Likes on 2,150 Posts
Coupe 6MT Premium RAS
Yep exactly, do you live in Canada? That's the only way I can see that making any sense because of the DRL module that they didn't want to bypass.

Old 06-28-2019, 11:43 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
G35S
Originally Posted by Hall Stevenson
Definitely could explain "why". I hate to say it, but this sounds like a hack job. The headlights are now controlled by the fog light control ? The headlight switch is now effectively a DRL control.
I agree. I got the car checked by a mechanic before buying but I guess checking the headlights is not part of the checklist and I didn't check them either. I mean it is a minor inconvenience not having the high-beam but there are so many other little things. The front end has been switched out with the 2011+ sport bumper/grill etc with the fog lights down below. The windshield washer spray wasn't working so imagine my surprise when I went to search for the fluid filler and couldn't find it. Apparently when some previous owner did the front end sport "upgrade" they did not replace the reservoir. The car looks great and all but these little inconveniences do kind of matter. And the reservoir bottle costs quite a bit by the way.

Originally Posted by cleric670@gmail
Yep exactly, do you live in Canada? That's the only way I can see that making any sense because of the DRL module that they didn't want to bypass.
I am not in Canada I'm in the middle of nowhere in the midwest. I am assuming DRL module means daytime running light module? The car doesn't have any permanent DRL function as far as I can see. The only time the headlights (or LED rings + fog lights) come on is when it starts going dark or if manually switched on.

Old 06-29-2019, 01:52 PM
Look for a generic or universal reservoir. If you can mount it, it should work. The reason OEM reservoirs are so funky-shaped is to provide maximum capacity in the space they can use.

DRL (Daytime Running Lights) are "available" on Gs for Canadian models. I suspect all North American models have the basic underlying hardware and maybe it's just enabled by dealers in CA. Reason I say they're part of the car is that the FSM refers to them. As far as your inspection, I'd guess he checked that the headlights worked but missed checking the high beams. Overall, kind of a minor oversight and what's done is done.

Old 07-01-2019, 09:37 PM
G35S
Thanks for the suggestion. I had not thought about a generic reservoir. Will check it out. Hopefully the pump and everything else is in there, although I read somewhere the pump is built in to the reservoir.

For now I am OK with the lights, but I want to get the high beam working if it is not an expensive fix. Already spent a bunch of money on the car, most of which was on work identified in the inspection.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:37 AM
Received 372 Likes on 339 Posts
I have a generic reservoir with pump brand new. I can let u have it for $25 shipped if you want it.

Old 07-02-2019, 11:42 PM
G35S
Originally Posted by Scorpi0
I have a generic reservoir with pump brand new. I can let u have it for $25 shipped if you want it.
Can you PM/post pics and the make of the generic reservoir? I can see a lot of options for less than $15 on amazon / ebay and wouldn't want to overpay for something like that.

Just found out that highbeams and windshield nozzles need to be working to pass the MA vehicle safety inspection, and I'm moving to MA soon. Just upped the severity of this situation from nuisance to necessity.

Old 07-03-2019, 01:42 AM
Originally Posted by xpresident
Can you PM/post pics and the make of the generic reservoir? I can see a lot of options for less than $15 on amazon / ebay and wouldn't want to overpay for something like that.

Just found out that highbeams and windshield nozzles need to be working to pass the MA vehicle safety inspection, and I'm moving to MA soon. Just upped the severity of this situation from nuisance to necessity.
Its cool man. If u can get em for that low then just go ahead and buy those instead. Itll probably cost me about the same just to ship it out.

Old 07-06-2019, 07:42 PM
G35S
OK so just checked the fuses, and it seems the fuses were ok. I swapped the 10A fuses with others and didn't make a difference. One other thing that I noticed was that on the smaller fuse box next to the battery, one of the large fuses is missing. Its labeled "H/L WASH". Does anyone know if this is something related to the washer or the hi/lo beam? The FSM shows this crossed out so maybe its supposed to be empty? I also can't find a description of this in the FSM as its just labelled "J".

Old 07-07-2019, 01:20 PM
That "H/L WASH" slot is empty on mine as well.

Old 07-08-2019, 02:29 AM
Maybe there was a HeadLight Wash option on some of the vehicles??

Old 08-01-2019, 10:54 PM
G35S
I've given up on this for now. I think the headlights are permanently on high beam, because I've never had trouble at highway speeds or otherwise. It just bugs me not to have the option. And permanent hi beam may be a problem legality-wise too, at least in some states, although I am not sure. Gonna go on a cross-country roadtrip in a couple of weeks. Lets see what happens.

Old 08-02-2019, 02:28 PM
I'm not sure if any laws apply to high beam vs low beam but maybe there are some. During the day, no one cares. At night, for oncoming traffic, yeah it's annoying.